LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2014, 10:06 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default New Release: Trucknpro Business Manager

I just downloaded the newest software release from Foglinesoftware. It is called Trucknpro Business Manager. There is a training video for the new software that helps to navigate and understand the new changes. I have gotten about half way through the training video. I don't know if any of you have had an opportunity to check out the new program, but there are a number of improvements that will work for the single truck operator or fleet operation. As some of you may know, I have used their software for many years. I find all of their versions easy to use and inexpensive compared to some programs.

This latest version even has a driver pay that you can use. I have been wanting them to add driver pay for some time. It can be set up differently for each driver to pay hourly, mileage or percentage. It will work for owner operators or company drivers. Unfortunately, it doesn't have the tax tables, but those can be done separately. Some companies prefer keeping payroll separately. I would expect the price to be much higher if the tax tables were available. Those can change each year. I am sure it would be much more expensive to include the tax tables. You can set up the pay for different types of deductions, such as escrow or savings, etc., It keeps a running total for each type of deduction. You can print out a settlement sheet for each load and drivers, if you choose.

The last version that I received from Foglines was the Trucknpro Elite. The newest version is expanded with a number of features that I have been wanting for some time. The pay was one of them. There is now a per diem tab that will calculate and keep a running total of your per diem days (days you are away from home). That has been a challenge for me to keep track. I did set up a per diem in the last version I had of Trucknpro, but had to calculate everything manually. This version does the calculations automatically. It is a nice feature.

The Elite version was set up to do LTL or truckload. This version has the same feature with a few additions. The new version has a separate feature for car haulers. You can put in each car and upload a photo of the car when it is picked up. Having once hauled cars, you have to protect yourself from claims as much as possible. We used to have an inspection sheet where we could note any damage when picked up. That can still be used and is a good idea, but with the new software, you can also take a photo and upload it into the software along with the inspection sheet for each vehicle. I don't think you are limited in the number of photo's and a picture can be much more beneficial in supporting the condition of any cars you pick uip. I don't recall having seen any software with these features before this version.

Another new feature is geared to container haulers. The new software can track your chassis and containers hauled. I can see this as a very good benefit for those hauling cans.

I think that most of the previous versions had features which tracked maintenance. They kept this and also added an apu maintenance feature. It helps owners who have apu's to remember when to change oil or do other maintenance.

Earlier versions had a column for putting in the invoice number for fuel purchases. That was left out of the last version when they added the scan feature for, fuel receipts, instead. Now you can do both. In fact, you can now scan in all of your bills and other paperwork for each load. I know some people are moving toward reducing paper. I still like having paper as a back up. This will allow you to scan in the originals and print out anything you may need at a later date. This can be invaluable in an audit.

Like the Elite version you can still scan in your drivers application, social security card, medical card, CDL, etc., There appears to be a prompt to tell you ahead of time when the drivers license or medical is getting near to renewal. Whether you are a single operator with your own authority or have a number of drivers, it is an easy way to keep track of your people.

There is a log calculator in this version for those who like to keep or check your logs electronically. It is now much easier to edit truck stops and cities, too. It was not as easy to edit changes in some of the older versions. I recall this past year that Pilot or one of the other truck stops purchased or made changes in a few truck stops. Phone numbers changed and when the fuel receipt was keyed in it was difficult to edit. It looks like it will be easy with the new Trucknpro Business Manager version. They also changed the invoicing feature with this version.

It looks like you can still try the software for a couple of weeks before buying. I have always liked that policy. Foglines now has several versions for different business models. If you have tried the new version I would like to hear what you think of the changes. If you have never check out any of their previous versions, you might give them a try and see how you like it. Their address is Trucking Software | Owner Operator | Truck Driver Software | Drivers Log book | Per Diem | Truck Management | Truck Dispatch | Freight Management | Business Management | Transportation Tracking,. As I recall, we have had several members who have used different versions of their software. It will be interesting to hear from some who have used other versions and how they like the new changes. I have one friend who purchase one of the early versions. I think it was Trucknpro 7 and he doesn't want to use anything else. I have tried to get him to try one of the new versions, but he prefers to stick with the on he has been using for several years. I like to try the newest versions. As I get into the new software I will post any new features that I like (or don't).
Old 01-29-2015, 12:49 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I thought I would offer an update on my software. I just started using the new Trucknpro Biz Manager this month. I received the new version in October, but waited until 2015 to start using the new program. With all the improvements the new program was not compatible with the old one I was using. Since October there have been a couple of updates. After putting in my first load for this year there appeared to be a little glich. My revenue showed an error. I checked in with the developer to ask them a question about the issue and was told there had been two updates since I first received the software. I downloaded the updates and the problem was solve. There were several improvements. One change enables the owner to dispatch in the program. That is a nice feature if you have multiple trucks. There is a "PER DIEM" feature that I really like. I don't know about the rest of you, but I often forget to keep track of my days out of town for the per diem tax deduction. I usually have to hunt up my log books and do the math. With this feature built into the program, you just put in the date you leave home and when you return. It automatically tracks your otr days and home time. At the end of the year you will not have to do anything but print out a report. If you have multiple drivers it will track it for each driver. Pretty cool.

Have any of you been using this program or other software that you would like to share your experience?
Old 01-29-2015, 09:29 AM
Board Regular

So this will manage your finances like Quicken or QuickBooks?
Old 01-29-2015, 10:23 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mndriver View Post
So this will manage your finances like Quicken or QuickBooks?

This program is specific to the trucking industry, mndriver. A company driver could use the program, but it more designed for the owner operator and small fleet. It actually does more than a program such as Quicken or QuickBooks. This program will keep all of your driver qualifications in an electronic file along with any other information about each driver. The program will also keep track and print out the required maintenance reports for each piece of equipment. I am still learning all the new features. I have not been running much this year so I have not spent much time with the new program. I will need to go back and look at their training video before doing much more with the program. The program will also allow for some customization on behalf of the user. I have not looked at Quicken or QuickBooks in a while, but as I recall, Quicken is more for personal financial bookkeeping and planning. I think that they have a business program. But, both of those programs are not specific to trucking. With Trucknpro everything is pretty much set up for you so you don't need to do anything before you start keying in your loads. They have a video you can see on their website that better explains the features.

Before receiving my first Trucknpro program, I did look at both Quicken and QuickBooks Pro. I could probably have used either of them, but they were not set up specifically for trucking. I did not see a way to record driver information, such as CDL, hire and termination dates, medical card info, etc., We are so regulated, it just makes it easier for me to not have to worry about setting things up myself, providing I could do so with those other programs.

If you have drivers, the program will automatically calculate driver compensation based upon hourly, mileage or percentage. A new feature allow you to key in arrive and depart times for detention. The latest update has dispatching features and that is not available with other general accounting programs. Another feature that has been available on the last 2 versions is invoicing. Up until now, I have had my own invoices. The Biz Manager program will now number your invoices automatically. All you do is put in the number you want to start with and it will automatically advance the numbers thereafter.

The program won't calculate depreciation and do interest calculations like Quicken. It is also not set up to track your financial investments. The developer has discussed working on an interface that will work with Quicken or QuickBooks (I don't remember which one). If he does that, you could import financial data from the Trucknpro program into Quicken. It is difficult to find off the shelf software that will do everything for you. This is not really a personal finance program. It is very specific to the trucking industry. Their programs have enabled me to get away from using spreadsheets, for the most part. That is how I used to do driver pay and my fuel taxes. It was time consuming to do it with a spreadsheet. With the Biz Management program, the only thing I would need to do is calculate taxes from driver pay if I use W2. If you need to calculate the tax deductions, you would still need to use a spreadsheet and the tax tables or do it manually and then transfer the deductions into Trucknpro program. It isn't really a payroll program as far as having tax tables. If you pay on a 1099 then you would not even need to use the spreadsheet. If you lease to a carrier instead of running your own authority, you can put the numbers in and it will automatically calculate your settlement amount. The last two updates pretty much addresses features that previous programs have been lacking, as far as my business is concerned. I have only hauled one load this year, so I have not had much experience using all the new features.

If you want to check it out for yourself, you can look at their training videos that are available on their website. I think they still offer a free trial where you can download the program and use it for a short time to see if it will work for you. Are you looking for something to manage your personal finances or your trucking business?

Last edited by GMAN; 01-29-2015 at 10:51 AM.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:51 AM
Board Regular

Pardon my scepticism. Sounds more like a sales pitch here for them.

I currently use a couple of excel spreadsheets to track loads , maintenance and do my ifta, it works. I use quicken home & business to run the finances. It works.

DOT during and audit don't even want to see electronic records, they want print outs and paper files. Hard copies if you will.

My issues are two:

A searchable database for loads. 3 years in now, I'm wishing I used an access database I started and had finished building. It would have solved that issue. I can find things now, but a searchable database would be 10x easier.

Financial program. Quicken is pushing folks into the cloud. I don't want to go to the cloud. I also want, as an o/o, something that will allow me to have multiple checking and saving account as well as loans setup. I have personal and business savings and checking accounts and want to be able to work in all the accounts at the same time to allow for transfers and better money management. Ifta reporting for mileage would be just a bonus.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:15 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I did not mean for my comments sound like a sales pitch, but when I look over my posts I can see how it would appear that way. I don't have any ownership or financial interest in Foglinesoftware who is the company that developed Trucknpro software programs. I have also never received any commission from them. I did do some beta testing on some of their previous software several years ago. I just happen to like the software and wanted to get a discussion started on this and any other software that others are using. I have tried a couple of other trucking specific software programs, but prefer Trucknpro. I do know that the developer has updated and made changes to the program based upon feedback from current customers. I tried The Truckers Helper and Easy Truckling in the past. The first program I purchased was Easy Trucking. It worked fairly well, but had some issues and limitations. I liked The Truckers Helper, but it was more complex than I would have preferred. At one time I was using Easy Trucking, Trucknpro and Excel. That was fun. I just wanted to do a side by side comparison to see how they all worked in my business. I eventually went with the Trucknpro and have used it ever since. I still use my spreadsheet for some things. Eventually, I would like to have a single program that will do everything. If the could work out the interface with Quicken it could probably do the rest of what I would like. One note about the electronic files. With the Biz Manager program you can print out any scanned items when you wish. I still prefer having the original hard copies in my paper files. I still have records going back to businesses I owned in 1970. I tend to go overboard when it comes to saving paper records. I don't know if I will ever go completely paperless. I suppose I still don't trust electronics completely.

I don't remember if The Truckers Helper works with your checking account or not. I don't believe it does. I think the only programs that work with the banks and your accounts are general accounting programs like Quicken or QuickBooks. It sounds like you are having some of the same concerns as I have had when it comes to trying to find one program that will do everything.

At one time I used a database program. There are some around you can purchase. Microsoft has a database they include with some of their windows programs. If you want to have a database for brokers and shippers, that is easily done. Trucknpro has had that for some time. To tell you the truth, I have used that feature more than any other single feature. When I haul a load I make notes about the broker, shipper, etc., I note where they usually have freight, lanes used and type of freight. I also make notes about their rates. I used to do that in a spreadsheet. In the early days, I used an index file system. I could go back to my files and look for contacts who have previously had freight out of an area. A database could work well with this type of information.

If you are talking about a loadboard database, most any of the major loadboards will allow you to search for loads. DAT has one called 360. It is a little pricey, but you might check into it if you want something with more "juice." I currently subscribe to only one loadboard. I rarely use it. For most of my loads I rely on my personal contacts. When I first started out we all had our little "black" book of contacts. We didn't have access to all the electronic loadboards. I had almost 300 contacts in a database program a few years ago when my motherboard in my computer died. I did not have them backed up. The developer at Trucknpro helped me recover my database. During the time when I didn't have access to my contacts, I lost a lot of money without my contacts. Perhaps that is another reason I like the company and program. I keep a back up these days.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:28 AM
Board Regular

I have 360+ loads now after 2 years. I'd like to be able to search them by location or at least state, by broker, receiver or shipper.

I belong to internet truck stop.

Likely I'll just start to compile all my spreadsheets and database into visual basic. Eventually it would be like this software.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:45 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

The new version allows you to search loads by state where you picked up or delivered a load. You can also pull up all loads hauled by any broker and all customers. The section where the broker information is keyed in is where I make notes on each broker, such as rates, type of freight they offer and freight lanes. That doesn't automatically pull up with the load search feature. With the search feature you can pull up a single load or all loads you have hauled for a particular broker. I understand wanting to develop your own database. I have used a spreadsheet and database program to maintain contact files. What was lacking was a way to sort the way I wanted that would show all the information I needed. For me the software works better. When I scroll through my list of brokers it shows me all of my notes and all information that I have keyed in about that broker or shipper.

Last year I needed a load from a particular area where I had hauled a load previously. The way I found the broker was in the broker part of the program. I had to scroll through my list until I found my notes. When the individual broker file pulls up it has all the contact information and notes. As you know, brokers often have loads all over the country. Before you spend time developing your own database, you might look at their demo/training video or download a copy to try for a couple of weeks to see if it will do what you want. You could also check out The Truckers Helper program to see if it will work for you. At one time you could download their program to try for a short time. I like trying a program before buying it. That way you can see if it will work for your business before spending your money.