User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2014, 12:52 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Advice on engines

I'm looking for your input on what pre emmision motor is the one to look for i'm thinking 6NZ cat but all input is appreaciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-05-2014, 02:13 AM
Board Regular

cats are known for their pulling power, but not their fuel mileage and expensive to repair.

Detroits are known for their fuel mileage and for low cost maintenance. I know from experience with an EGR engine, they have PLENTY of torque and will outpull a lot of cats if tuned correctly.

Cummins are in the middle.

I got a detroit for low maint cost and good fuel mileage. at 850,000 miles, I don't use any oil at all. I had 4 galley plugs on my oil cooler leaking that we pulled and sealed up and also a broken oil dipstick tube. That was the extent of my oil leaks. My oil samples are showing this thing should run another 400K miles before anything major is needed.

I would get a 12.7L detroit with NO hesitation. I'd consider the 6NZ but only after looking for a Cummins N14 redhead.

Either way, I'd find the right guy to tune whatever you get.
Old 04-05-2014, 02:52 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mndriver View Post
cats are known for their pulling power, but not their fuel mileage and expensive to repair.

Detroits are known for their fuel mileage and for low cost maintenance. I know from experience with an EGR engine, they have PLENTY of torque and will outpull a lot of cats if tuned correctly.

Cummins are in the middle.

I got a detroit for low maint cost and good fuel mileage. at 850,000 miles, I don't use any oil at all. I had 4 galley plugs on my oil cooler leaking that we pulled and sealed up and also a broken oil dipstick tube. That was the extent of my oil leaks. My oil samples are showing this thing should run another 400K miles before anything major is needed.

I would get a 12.7L detroit with NO hesitation. I'd consider the 6NZ but only after looking for a Cummins N14 redhead.

Either way, I'd find the right guy to tune whatever you get.
i agree and disagree at the same time. i know a few people with 600 cats that run heavy that get 5.5mpg.. great no.. but put it in prospective. i run heavy with my MBN cat, its only a 435, on flat ground and doing 70 with 3.73's and a 10 speed with a heavy load i'll see 6.25 and a light to medium load 6.5+. it'll also eat up any big detroit pulling hills. i love my cat. the next truck i'm looking at to add to the fleet is a pre egr S60 detroit.

but like said.. cant really go wrong with any of the pre egr motors. the question is. what kind of work are you doing?
Old 04-05-2014, 03:28 PM
Senior Board Member

I really enjoying reading you guys! Somebody once said;- There are no such thing as a stupid question, but some questions don't really have a straight answers, and is kinda tricky. IMHO you both did good!
Old 04-06-2014, 04:19 PM
Senior Board Member

E7 Mack

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 04-07-2014, 12:29 AM
Rookie

The truck will be used to pull heavy loads 57500kg to 63500kg. I know i won't be going DPF since i'm already driving one and know what all the emmisions is all about already. What about the C-15 or the cummins with the EGR what are your suggestions going pre DPF?
Old 04-07-2014, 02:01 AM
Board Regular

Gearing then is a bigger deal to you than anything since that's equal to 125k to 140k at the high end there.

I'd be looking at something with at least 3.90 gears even getting up to 4.11 with an 18 SPD.

Engine, a 6nz tuned to 600 HP. Or even a DD s60 tuned up. 2050 torque.

You are talking a heavy haul rig really. Everything on that will scream major component upgrades IMO. From the frame all the way to ujoints to brakes.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:37 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mndriver View Post
Gearing then is a bigger deal to you than anything since that's equal to 125k to 140k at the high end there.

I'd be looking at something with at least 3.90 gears even getting up to 4.11 with an 18 SPD.

Engine, a 6nz tuned to 600 HP. Or even a DD s60 tuned up. 2050 torque.

You are talking a heavy haul rig really. Everything on that will scream major component upgrades IMO. From the frame all the way to ujoints to brakes.
i 100% agree. though, i'd stay with the cat maybe a ISX. if you are going to go on longer hauls i'd go with the 3.90's though. i do some heavy hauls with some generators. full of fuel the trailer (generator) is 127k. but its mostly short hauls. i can tell you.. i've done it both in my columbia and few in my dad's pete. my truck is only a 435 C15 (MBN). it does what it needs to but the cooling system isnt what it hsould an you can feel the frame just not liking it. my dad's pete has a frame insert, heavy duty cooling system, heavy(er) rears and a 13 speed with 3.70's and a 3406e (550hp) and its just night and day.

if it was me, i'd do nothing else but a cat... single turbo cat. i'd just make sure it was a 18 speed with no lower then 3.91 gears.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:42 PM
Rookie

I appreaciate the advice and all the tips.