User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2013, 06:06 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Hauling Containers

I did some searching on previous posts but didn't quite find the answers I was looking for. As is generally known, we are a South Florida based reefer company. I am stopping now at 34 power units and about 40 trailers. We could grow some more but I'm still learning and can proudly say we have never been beat for money. I go slow. We are TSA approved, Carb approved etc.

We attend monthly port meetings and the other day the rep I sent in my place (I hate those types of meetings) and he made several contacts. One was one of the largest Customs Broker for perishables in Miami. Long story short he said it's a nightmare with the companies down here and they would love to find a professional outfit. I assume it can't pay well, as let's be honest, Miami is nothing more than North South America. I have no Spanish speaking drivers. Me and one girl in the office are the only ones in the company that speak Spanish (I'm not Spanish but speak it fluently).

I believe even if we broke even, the guy said once the company get's the containers to their customers, the customers then find their own reefers (which we would then offer our services). I'm just not sure where to even start.

I can go buy some Chassis, but does the truck need a special 5th wheel? How does one charge, by the mile or per trip?

Again I am just trying to get our name out there a bit more. The port wants us to do a presentation in February on our services. We are also in the process of opening a brokerage. I am just trying to get the bond approved; we've already opened up a second company. And who knows maybe if we did these containers and met enough customers we could do consolidation or get set up with the rail which is next on my list.

Anyway again, besides just buying a chassis what else do I need?

Thanks.

Last edited by merrick4; 12-13-2013 at 02:17 AM.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:13 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

They use the same fifth wheels as any trailer. The only thing that might be different would be the fifth wheel height, but that would depend on the chassis and container height. You may check to see if you can rent chassis to check the water. It sounds like things are moving right along for you, Merrick. Most container haulers seem to charge by the mile, or that is usually how they pay their owner operators. I see no reason why you could not charge by the container or a flat rate by the load if you go to the same locations.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:17 AM
Senior Board Member

Thanks GMAN. I guess I'll head down to Miami (again North South America) and see what I can find out. I guess things are moving along, to where I don't know but they are moving . We got approved by JetBlue today (which took a month) so we can now ship air freight. I'm interested in stuff to South America or from South America. This business is so big it's mind boggling. Hope all is well with you and as always appreciate all your help.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:32 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick4 View Post
How does one charge, by the mile or per trip?
Depends. Long distance by the mile, short by the trip + extras.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:30 PM
Senior Board Member

i can tell you that there WAS money in it down there. i know someone that used to run for tropical. bought a new 379 and paid it off. he said it was great until the people who didnt care about the real rate came in and killed it. did you look in to running out of Riviera beach? i delivered to tropical's wearhouse last year and the place was booming from all over the world.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:54 AM
Senior Board Member

Thank you Solo and firebird. Actually the port in West Palm Beach is a good idea. We are actually based out of Broward County so I'd say equally distant from Miami and WPB. We are very close to Port Everglades. A lot of expanding going on in these ports. This week I am going to figure out what I need to do. I think I have to sign Interline agreements or something with each Ocean Carrier. I'm not sure. Maybe we'll call the customs broker back and see what they have to say. Hopefully in a couple of more years if I can maintain this, I will just be able to hire people experienced in these fields and not have to try and figure everything out.
Old 12-18-2013, 03:39 AM
Senior Board Member

Well we are moving along with the drayage. I was out of it today as my daughter fell in school so I had to take her to two doctors, but from what I gather we just needed to up our workmans comp a bit. One customs broker gave us some rates:

Miami to Miami = 350

Miami to Pompano = 450

Miami to Dover = 700

Unless you do several a day I don't see how to make money doing this especially since we have to take the container back to Miami. But it was only one day so we will find out more tomorrow. I signed for two more trucks today too.