User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2013, 10:38 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Need some advice .....

We own some trucks and was considering starting a SMALL trucking outfit. We have a couple end-dumps and a flat bed. Here's the question, how do you get into the OTR business. Which route is better.... Hauling for a Company..? Hiring someone to drive? How do you find loads? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:13 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I don't know how you have been operating, but if you want to haul otr then you will need interstate authority, if you don't already have it. Trucking has been strange the last few years. We have changed the routes we run a couple of times. We follow the rates. Lately, we have been been running Texas. For several years we mostly ran I-81, I-70, I-75, I-40. These days you need to remain very flexible as to where you run. I mostly rely on personal contacts to find most of my loads. I have companies that I have a long relationship with and usually manage to find something with them. Most carriers rely on load boards to post trucks and search for loads, at least until they establish some relationships. Rates are still off compared to last year. In fact, rates haven't really recovered since the crash in October of 2008. They have improved, but it has mostly been a roller coaster. I don't use end dumps, but do run flats and steps. You could lease to a carrier. They should have a freight base and could help to keep your trucks moving. They may also assist in finding drivers. Finding good drivers is always a challenge, whether you have 1 or 10,000 trucks. CRST Malone is a decent flatbed carrier. Landstar also has a lot of flatbed freight. I could name others, but I am most familiar with these two carriers. The first thing you need to decide is whether you want to lease to a carrier or run under your own authority. Both Landstar and Malone now require all newly leased on owners to install EOBR's. Personally, that would be a turn off for me, but more and more of the larger carriers are requiring the EOBR's.