User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2013, 05:01 PM
brockkrak
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default Advice on becoming a o/o

Hello all im new here thought this would be the place for good advice. I currentley am employed and have no intentions in quitting. I have had a single axle international dump for a few years now and i have made some decent side money. I do all my own repairs and maintenance. trucks are kinda like my hobby to so there not only my tools but my toys to so i get alot of enjoyment out of working around trucks. I have drivin a friends 379 dump for a while as well when he gets busy. I think i would like to sell my single axle and buy a full size dump. used of course something in decent shape. $30,000 or less. like i said this isnt my daily workhorse so i dont need what you guys have.ideally one day i would like to have 2-3 dumps and a small buisness but we will see with this economy! Or would i make more as a o/o and not paying two other knuckle heads to tear my trucks up. These are my questions:

1. stick with the litte truck or go big? Keep in mind i do all my own repairs

2. Dump truck vs Road tractor with a dump bed?

3. Stick with one truck or if i get enough work go to two? Where will i pocket more?

Thanks alot guys i apperciate any advice.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:48 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Your biggest challenge in owning more than one truck that you don't drive yourself is finding quality drivers who are reliable, honest and will take care of your equipment. If you can find good drivers you can make money with more than a single truck. However, we don't really know what is going to happen with this economy. I would not go much into debt until the dust settles. I would suggest that you start with one truck that you drive yourself and if you see that there is sufficient business to add trucks, then you can start spending money on additional trucks. If I were planning on buying dumps, I would go with trucks that are already set up for dumps. Using an otr truck for a dump is not a good idea. Dumps often have heavier frame rails or double frames whereas the otr trucks are not as heavy duty or designed for off road work. A dump can haul as much weight on just the tractor as an otr truck will haul with a tractor and trailer.

Some things to consider when thinking of buying more than a single truck. Hiring a driver means that you will have to pay a salary and likely some benefits out of any profits. There are some drivers who will abuse your equipment and steal or sell fuel, etc., Insurance and other expenses will increase significantly with each additional truck. My dad owned dumps and he seemed to always have problems with drivers. My niece and her husband also owned dumps. Like you, he did all the maintenance himself. Drivers can be hard on equipment. I would take it slow and easy. Like I suggested previously, I would start with a single truck that you drive yourself and see how it goes.