User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2013, 05:16 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default truck #2 on the way BUT detroit or cummins?

i'm going to NEED another truck and a driver shortly. between my dad and i, i can not handle all the work we got. so, we're both looking in to another truck. i will not touch a ACERT truck with a 10 foot poll. while i love my MBN cat it just wont get the fuel milage with someone who wont care. so that leaves detroit and cummins. i know both have major EGR problems BUT.. which is worse? one guy i talk to loves his ISX BUT.. has been though i want to say 10 EGR's since the truck is new. if its that much of a gamble. i might just go with a detroit. i do run to gross and go across pa from ny.

my idea on specs:

on a detroit:

14l 515 hp 3.70 rear and a 10 speed

if a cummins:

475 hp 3.70 rear and a 10 speed

both capped to 67 mph.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:36 PM

From your choices I would say Cummins. We have trucks with Detroits, Volvo and Cummins engines in them. So far I like the Volvo motors from what we have so far. I like the cummins too. They have good power and we haven't had many issues with them. The cummins have 900,000+ miles on them. Both are 2009 engines. The Detroits we have seem to have more smaller issues than the other two engines. It has never been anything major but the Detroit engines seem to be ready for a rebuild sooner. We have already had to do one in one Detroit with around the same mileage as the cummins and one of the other Detroits is getting close. They all pull the same trailers and loads so one isn't getting worked any harder than the rest. The only difference is the Detroits have 13 speed manuals, the Volvos have the 12 speed I-shift and the cummins have either 18 or 10 speed eaton fuller auto shifts in them. On fuel milage the Volvos get the best at .7mpg better than the cummins which is .5 mpg better than the Detroits.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:46 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve3662 View Post
From your choices I would say Cummins. We have trucks with Detroits, Volvo and Cummins engines in them. So far I like the Volvo motors from what we have so far. I like the cummins too. They have good power and we haven't had many issues with them. The cummins have 900,000+ miles on them. Both are 2009 engines. The Detroits we have seem to have more smaller issues than the other two engines. It has never been anything major but the Detroit engines seem to be ready for a rebuild sooner. We have already had to do one in one Detroit with around the same mileage as the cummins and one of the other Detroits is getting close. They all pull the same trailers and loads so one isn't getting worked any harder than the rest. The only difference is the Detroits have 13 speed manuals, the Volvos have the 12 speed I-shift and the cummins have either 18 or 10 speed eaton fuller auto shifts in them. On fuel milage the Volvos get the best at .7mpg better than the cummins which is .5 mpg better than the Detroits.
yeah.. a volvo is 100% out.

another thing is it will be pre emissions.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:14 AM

I would still say go with a cummins. I'm not a big Detroit person. I've tried them but wouldn't get another one. On the first volvo I tried to find one with a cummins but it was going to be 90 days before I could take delivery. So I went with the d13 at this point I'm glad I did. But if it wasn't for that the past 4 trucks we've purchased would have cummins in them. The two before that did and they are still running strong. I know a guy that buys gliders with pre get motors in them and all he gets is cummins. He has 21 of them. He just bought a w-9 with a cummins. I will say the two cummins I run will out pull any truck that we have and get decent fuel milage.

"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton
Old 02-20-2013, 03:08 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve3662 View Post
I would still say go with a cummins. I'm not a big Detroit person. I've tried them but wouldn't get another one. On the first volvo I tried to find one with a cummins but it was going to be 90 days before I could take delivery. So I went with the d13 at this point I'm glad I did. But if it wasn't for that the past 4 trucks we've purchased would have cummins in them. The two before that did and they are still running strong. I know a guy that buys gliders with pre get motors in them and all he gets is cummins. He has 21 of them. He just bought a w-9 with a cummins. I will say the two cummins I run will out pull any truck that we have and get decent fuel milage.
i would love to get a glider.. for me. not for a driver. i was a huge cummins fan until i bought my cat. BUT i also really love the 14l detroit... when they run right. if my truck didnt have a new motor in it i'd put someone in mine and buy a new one for me. as for the d13's.. my 435 kills them up hills at 80k.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebird_1252 View Post
i would love to get a glider.. for me. not for a driver. i was a huge cummins fan until i bought my cat. BUT i also really love the 14l detroit... when they run right. if my truck didnt have a new motor in it i'd put someone in mine and buy a new one for me. as for the d13's.. my 435 kills them up hills at 80k.
Depends on the d13 and the rears in it. A d13 can have 3 different horsepower in it 435, 455 or 500 and your rear end on what you get. The first d13 we got has a 435 second a 455 you can probably out pull the 435 and probably the 455 with the rears in them. They are geared for light freight (contractor for FedEx ground we don't haul heavy loads). Now the 500 d13 I doubt you can out pull it. It doesn't miss a beat. I will say on a d13 with the I shift I could set the perameters of the transmission to different shift points and be able to pull right there with you and could do the same with the 500 and probably out pull you. I had volvo set the perameters up for what we haul to save fuel. And still get decent pulling power out of it. I can also take the 435 and the 455 and turn them in to 500 with ease. It's the same motor with a few minor adjustments. That's what I like about Volvo I can set that truck up to haul anything I want to haul. I can take it from FedEx to whoever with just a new program put in it and get optimized fuel economy and optimized pulling power. I will say the cummins pulls better than the Volvo but the Volvo pulls better than the Detroit. But the set ups are different in them too.

"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton
Old 02-20-2013, 03:46 PM
Senior Board Member

Mack MP8 505hp

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 02-21-2013, 12:00 PM
Senior Board Member

I ordered up and bought a 2013 FL glider with a pre-egr 500hp DDEC IV Series 60 in it. Got 77,000 miles on it so far and like it. I had two ISX's in the past and will not touch a Cummins again. The N-14 I liked a lot, but the ISX...... The 6NZ CAT (pre-MBN and ACERT) engine is a solid performer. You can do a lot with one of them. And you can always take an MBN or ACERT Cat back to a 6NZ. Little pricey, but worth it.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:21 AM

I run a 1997 Pete with the D16 Detroit in her, 500 HP, 15 speed,getting on average 5.50 MPG running at 75 MPH all the time. If I slow down to 65 I will get 6.5 and higher but I have a lead foot, cant help it. I would not go with a cummapart, I dont like the ISX motors, especially the ones with DEF, they dont run the same as Detroit and certainly dont get the mileage as advertised. I ran a 2011 Volvo with Cummins ISX and she only got 5.8 MPH. Just my 2 cents but I would prefer a Detroit over a cummins any day!
Just an old school trucker, these kids today don't know how good they have it! Power steering, a/c, air ride cabs and trailers, air ride seats! I did not have any of these things when I started driving.
Drive an old Mack, White or GMC then tell me how good a driver you are!issedoff: :bow::lol2: Don't even get me started on backing in to a dock!ops:

Instigator!~
Old 02-22-2013, 03:13 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead View Post
I ordered up and bought a 2013 FL glider with a pre-egr 500hp DDEC IV Series 60 in it. Got 77,000 miles on it so far and like it. I had two ISX's in the past and will not touch a Cummins again. The N-14 I liked a lot, but the ISX...... The 6NZ CAT (pre-MBN and ACERT) engine is a solid performer. You can do a lot with one of them. And you can always take an MBN or ACERT Cat back to a 6NZ. Little pricey, but worth it.
i'd LOVE to.. but.. i'm a bit weary being i live in ny state. as i stated in many past posts.. i LOVE my MBN. while its not half as smooth as my dad's E motor it dont do half the stupid MBN games. it dont run hot (190), it never did the serging under load, no idea what the egt's are but i run 80k in the summer no issues. damn thing pulls like a bull. not to mention at 70 on flat ground she'll get in the 6-6.5mpg range.

i'd love to find a pre egr detroit BUT its real hard to find one thats not beat to death.

though looking though truckpaper.com lastnight i found a super super clean FLD with a 500 N14 lastnight. real good price too and speced just the way i want. again.. its for a driver, you'll have to pry my columbia out of my hands... as of now.

but back to the orginal question.. detroit or isx with a egr?