User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2012, 07:42 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default New fuel efficient truck government incentive question--please help?

I'm trying to do some research for the old man (my dad). He is a long time owner operator currently driving a 2000 KW, hauling a flatbed. He is considering buying something new, more fuel efficient truck, etc. I was wondering if anyone had any advise or information on government or state buying programs (TEXAS) or incentives for buying fuel efficient, clean emissions trucks. Like grants or programs or tax credits or something useful. If it helps, he's a Texas Veteran, Texas based owner operator contractor hauling south, southwest. (Doesn't spend 75% of his time in California, or East coast ports.) If it helps him, I'm a Service connected Disabled Texas Veteran with 30% or more rating. I don't mind getting involved with the purchase if I can get my dad a good deal on a new truck. He's a hard working guy, and I just want to help find out how to get him the best deal on a new truck, he deserves a break.

If anyone has any information on this topic please feel free to post a response thread with specific information or shoot me an email @ [email protected]

sorry if anything in this post is offensive or ignorant sounding to seasoned drivers. I mean no disrespect.

Thanks all,

P.S. recently he has been catching a lot of flak for having his dog in the cab when going into some of these plants, I'm considering trying to certify the dog as a working dog so he can go where the old man goes. Any info on this?
Old 12-22-2012, 12:23 AM
Senior Board Member

Fitzgerald Truck Parts & Sales

with the dog thing.. my dog goes everywhere with me. but also got an apu.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:19 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Other than the ports in California, the only grants that I am aware of are for APU's. Some states will reimburse owners for 50% of the purchase price of a new APU. Unless your dad is a minority, he is probably on his own. There are some grants and low interest loans which are available for those considered in a minority class. You may check with some of the truck dealers to see if they are aware of any funds that may be available. You may also check with OOIDA. They should be aware of any programs that might be available for your dad.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:47 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBBYNOYES View Post
I'm trying to do some research for the old man (my dad). He is a long time owner operator currently driving a 2000 KW, hauling a flatbed. He is considering buying something new, more fuel efficient truck, etc. I was wondering if anyone had any advise or information on government or state buying programs (TEXAS) or incentives for buying fuel efficient, clean emissions trucks. Like grants or programs or tax credits or something useful. If it helps, he's a Texas Veteran, Texas based owner operator contractor hauling south, southwest. (Doesn't spend 75% of his time in California, or East coast ports.) If it helps him, I'm a Service connected Disabled Texas Veteran with 30% or more rating. I don't mind getting involved with the purchase if I can get my dad a good deal on a new truck. He's a hard working guy, and I just want to help find out how to get him the best deal on a new truck, he deserves a break.

If anyone has any information on this topic please feel free to post a response thread with specific information or shoot me an email @ [email protected]

sorry if anything in this post is offensive or ignorant sounding to seasoned drivers. I mean no disrespect.

Thanks all,

P.S. recently he has been catching a lot of flak for having his dog in the cab when going into some of these plants, I'm considering trying to certify the dog as a working dog so he can go where the old man goes. Any info on this?

Go to the Texas Department of Transportation website and look thru the Commercial Vehicle section.

They do have a grant program for qualifying trucks, and if I remember correctly, your dad's truck qualifies next year. You need to get on it quick if you want state money because it runs out quick. Lot's of the outfits working the port of Houston snatch the money up as fast as they can copy the applications.

Arrow Truck Sales in Houston and San Antonio have helped guys get grant money for the last 4 or 5 years...but again...you have to get there and talk. At one time Porter Truck Sales (Houston & Dallas) was working with the Texas replacement program....I don't know if they still are.

You might look at the TEQC website for information on heavy duty truck replacement.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:03 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
Go to the Texas Department of Transportation website and look thru the Commercial Vehicle section.

They do have a grant program for qualifying trucks, and if I remember correctly, your dad's truck qualifies next year. You need to get on it quick if you want state money because it runs out quick. Lot's of the outfits working the port of Houston snatch the money up as fast as they can copy the applications.

Arrow Truck Sales in Houston and San Antonio have helped guys get grant money for the last 4 or 5 years...but again...you have to get there and talk. At one time Porter Truck Sales (Houston & Dallas) was working with the Texas replacement program....I don't know if they still are.

You might look at the TEQC website for information on heavy duty truck replacement.
correctomundo - i was one of those guys...they helped me get a grant for my last rig but that was awhile ago so I'm not sure if they still can...give em a call.

here are a few websites for your reference:
www.txdot.gov
www.window.state.tx.us

good luck bobby..very kind of of you to help out your dad ...best of luck