User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 02:10 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Advice for old driver coming from the cold

hi there everyone, i`d run under my own authority a truck for the last in 2007, when the crysis begon to being notice, i`d sold truck, trailer and company and went to do other types of jobs until now, the economy seems to be getting better and i need a big push before going in retirement, (i am 54) i do have 29 years experience driving class 8 trucks in four continents including Europe, Azia, parts of Africa and the lower 48 and Canada, i am right now in the process of buying a tractor again and just expend two weeks on the road with a friend for a refresh and getting the OTR feeling again, what should be the logical steps to do to get the best job possible being that no many companies take a driver w/o at least 6 months recent experience?, is there a company leasing a O/O with a tractor w/o recent experience but with a flat square bottom for having drive close to 3 million miles on it?. i do live in SW Fla, but do not need to come home that often, 3-4 days every 60-70 days will do, so no problem driving for a company from any state, mine DL is clean with doubles and triples, tank and hazmat and i do not have policial records of any kind in my life. i do not mind to pull a reefer, FB, tank or dry van as long the payment is good, but the mayority of the miles have been with FB and dry van. The truck most probably will be a 2007 Volvo 780 with his own plate for a year and insurance, i`ll need to run under somebody authority for the moment. i do not run illegal or drive faster than the posted speed limit. i am healthy, non-smoker and able to do any job any other 54 year old male will do.
any advice will be appreciated, thanks.

Last edited by Troady; 12-03-2012 at 02:25 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:46 PM
Board Icon

Your resume is way above normal. There are companies that will hire you without the "recent" experience... if you look. But, what keeps you from getting your own authority again and getting your own loads? No truck? Buy one.

You might check with FedEx ground in your area. Might have to drive TEAM for 6 months before getting a "look" from any company you can find that pulls out of FL.

Florida is a sinkhole as far as freight is concerned. The fact that you don't mind staying "out" is a good thing.

Wait... you said you were buying a truck? Have you checked with Landstar?

Okay... last resort... there are several produce or "flower" companies that run out of Florida. You might look at them.

Hope this helps. Good luck and keep us posted.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:08 PM
Rookie

Thanks golfhobo for your reply, i know that the best way to get on the road again is by myself with own authority but do not have all the money to do all the process right now, i am trying to get a tractor right now but with my credit there are only few companies who will sell me a truck, American Trucks in MS is one of them, but they can not get me a payment below $1400 a month giving $7000 down for a 2007 780, that`s mean than they penalize (very heavy) the driver for not having good credit, and the warranty they offer is for only one month bumper to bumper and after that 50/50 for 4 years but it have to be "in house", and they only got one shop so far in MS, they say that 4 more shops are coming but you never know with these people, Lone Mountain is checking my credit right now, let`s see what they say.
I have work already if i find the tractor, pulling produce with a leased reefer from a South Florida company, a dedicated run to Toronto, Canada once a week, getting a tractor for about $1500/montlhy + paying for the reefer will take a week earnings but that`s ok, i can live with that. My biggest wish right know is to begin 2013 working in my own truck, i hope God can hear me and help me.
PD: just one question, will Landstar lease a tractor to me w/o the 6 months recent experience? any other company?

Last edited by Troady; 12-04-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:28 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I don't think that Landstar will lease to you without at least 6 month's experience in the last 3 years. Their requirements can change from time to time. Check their website for current requirements. www.landstar.com. There should be a number you can call to ask if it is not listed. I would not sign an agreement with any dealer that required all repairs to be done in their shop. The likelihood of being close enough to get to their shop when something breaks is very remote.

Most carriers have the same hiring requirements for owner operators as they do with company drivers as far as experience is concerned.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:50 AM
Rookie

yeap, they all have similar requirements of at least 6 verifyable months in the last three years, most of them ask for a year, i will have to begin driving for some small company who do not require this, it`s kind of funny, i do have my bottom square and flat for having drive more than 3 million miles in a truck in 29 years and now i can`t get a job like a driver for not having experience, should i cry or smile?.

Last edited by Troady; 12-05-2012 at 01:53 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 12-10-2012, 01:10 AM
Rookie

Yeah lease to Landstar,,they have many dishonest agents,,a very high agent and O/O turn orver rate,,many agents that have trucks to compete with and many agents get all their loads off load boards,, Not a good choice,, Mercer, ATS,, Crete , CRST, Schneider, Swift all want you but you will most of the time make more money being a company driver,,Now as it has been for the past several years is not a good time to become a truck business owner,, Freight is still too cheap,,fuel prices are still very unprdicable too.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:01 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahrump View Post
Now as it has been for the past several years is not a good time to become a truck business owner,, Freight is still too cheap,,fuel prices are still very unprdicable too.
Clueless...........I got my CDL and bought a truck and trailer with no experience in trucking 4 years ago. The money has been very good and I am very happy with my decision to jump into this business.

I know I did it all wrong. I was suppose to be a slave for Swift for a few years and learn the business first. LOL It takes alot of common sense and a knack to make money to be successful.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:09 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottt View Post
Clueless...........I got my CDL and bought a truck and trailer with no experience in trucking 4 years ago. The money has been very good and I am very happy with my decision to jump into this business.

I know I did it all wrong. I was suppose to be a slave for Swift for a few years and learn the business first. LOL It takes alot of common sense and a knack to make money to be successful.
i agree 100%. one man's garbage is anothers treasure i guess? i've been lazy the past 6 months. only worked 2-3 days a week for 5 months. and i mean.. litteraly 2-3 days a week. i have a lot of payments and i'm doing well.. oh and i was down for a full month when my motor went. bottom line is... fuel goes up.. your rates go up. tolls go up.. so do your rates.. get the picture?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troady View Post
Thanks golfhobo for your reply, i know that the best way to get on the road again is by myself with own authority but do not have all the money to do all the process right now, i am trying to get a tractor right now but with my credit there are only few companies who will sell me a truck, American Trucks in MS is one of them, but they can not get me a payment below $1400 a month giving $7000 down for a 2007 780, that`s mean than they penalize (very heavy) the driver for not having good credit, and the warranty they offer is for only one month bumper to bumper and after that 50/50 for 4 years but it have to be "in house", and they only got one shop so far in MS, they say that 4 more shops are coming but you never know with these people, Lone Mountain is checking my credit right now, let`s see what they say.
I have work already if i find the tractor, pulling produce with a leased reefer from a South Florida company, a dedicated run to Toronto, Canada once a week, getting a tractor for about $1500/montlhy + paying for the reefer will take a week earnings but that`s ok, i can live with that. My biggest wish right know is to begin 2013 working in my own truck, i hope God can hear me and help me.
PD: just one question, will Landstar lease a tractor to me w/o the 6 months recent experience? any other company?
one word for a place to find a truck.. ryder. if you ask they'll give you all the maintance records too. and their warantee is a year 100k miles.