User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2012, 11:51 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo379 View Post
Why do you hate brokers? That's the truckers who haul that cheap stuff you should hate. Would you personally pay more, if you can do it for less? I didn't think so. BTW. You got a great fuel mileage! Is it at the pump, or comp?
Of course I'm not saying ALL brokers are bad. However, this is what makes me angry. A lot of these people are just sitting around in their living rooms doing absolutely nothing and keeping 50% of the money I MAKE FOR THEM in many circumstances. If these people are offering under a dollar a mile for a load they were paying over 2 dollars a mile for a little over a week ago you can't tell me that they're actually charging the shipper less. And then the other day one of them actually had the nerve to say to me "Hey, you truckers make a hell of a lot of dough. You can share the wealth". EXCUSE ME? I can share the wealth? You mean the wealth that I earn by putting everything on the line and basically dedicating my entire life to this business while you sit in your living room all day and fart around on the phone? No matter what way you cut it or what your opinion is of brokers, I don't think theres any possible way that you don't agree with me when I say that aint right.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:54 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
I’m not trying to be mean or rude, but you obviously don’t understand a supply vs demand, free market. That’s okay, most of the others who went out and got their own authority the last four years don’t either. .
You're right, I don't have a college quality amount of knowledge when it comes to business and the market and supply versus demand and so on. I came into this with the knowledge I already had from personal experience. However, I would imagine that the cost of freight would be HIGHER right now when taking supply vs. demand into consideration. It's quickly becoming the christmas season and naturally because of that theres much more freight than usual. So why wouldn't the cost of freight be higher instead of lower?
Old 10-28-2012, 11:58 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rank View Post
Only two reasons anyone would ever do that:

1. There is no other carrier available that is trusted to pick up and deliver on time, safely and without damage to the freight, or
2. The carrier has provided good service in the past at a reasonable rate and it's easier for someone to make one call than it to shop around trying to save a few pennies.

Either way, the carrier IMO needs to move toward time sensitive and/or high value freight. Who really cares if their 20 bags of cheese flavored Dorito's is late? Nobody that's who. But if a $250,000 peice of equipment doesn't arrive in time for the crane appointment on that multi million dollar construction project.........well let's just say your freight rate is insignificant.

This is small carrier's ace in the hole and the small carrier must protect that card at all costs. If they lose that reputation for 110% satisfaction, there are dead.
I see your point, that is something I've considered. Where can I find freight that would pay better or be time sensitive or high value? I've been on a few load boards, truckersedge, getloaded, 123loadboard, etc. Everything on there seems pretty basic and in the direction of flats and vans. Is there any kind of website that covers the type of freight you've mentioned?
Old 10-29-2012, 02:59 AM
Senior Board Member

Let someone with good negotiating skills do the hard work for you. I have been using him for over 2 years and rarely get a load under $1.85 for a dry van.

Welcome to SummersAgency.com!
Old 10-29-2012, 03:01 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan Paul View Post
I don't have a college quality amount of knowledge when it comes to business and the market and supply versus demand and so on.
You don't have to. It's just a common sense! If you think you could do better, just do it! If you can't...sorry life is not fair. Nobody owns you anything, and if you thing otherwise, you are in a wrong place to be.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:18 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
You're right, I don't have a college quality amount of knowledge when it comes to business and the market and supply versus demand and so on. I came into this with the knowledge I already had from personal experience. However, I would imagine that the cost of freight would be HIGHER right now when taking supply vs. demand into consideration. It's quickly becoming the christmas season and naturally because of that theres much more freight than usual. So why wouldn't the cost of freight be higher instead of lower?
You don’t need college level education in macroeconomics to understand that the more common something is, the less it’s worth. The East Coast has a dense population that requires a lot of goods to support, but in comparison to what they consume, the populace produces very little. The result is that inbound rates are high because trucks are in high demand to move all that freight into the area. The problem is that once all those trucks deliver their freight, there are very few loads for that large number of trucks to haul. As trucks compete for loads, the price is driven down until it is so low that many would rather deadhead instead of pull the loads. It is at that point that price equilibrium is reached. Often that price is a dollar a mile or even less for van freight, no matter what the economy is doing.

Yes, we’re moving into the holiday season, but the economy is stalled, and (my opinion) everybody with money is holding his breath to see what kind or president we’re going to have for the next four years. Even Obama himself claims that corporations have about two trillion in cash reserves, more than ever before in history. (PolitiFact | Obama says companies have nearly $2 trillion sitting on their balance sheets) It’s estimated that there is between one to three trillion dollars sitting on the sidelines (not invested) between business and private investors because the only thing certain about our economic future is that it is uncertain. Business owners don’t know whether or not they will have to deal with ObamaCare, higher tax rates (not only on earned income, but capital gains and inheritance tax) and a whole group of other penalties for financial success threatened by the current administration.

Liberals will claim the above paragraph is untrue, but it really is inarguable. They can say that Obama isn’t anti-business and anti-success, but the fact remains that even if they are correct, most investors think otherwise and, in the financial world perception is everything. I’m sure there are even some who are worried about what Romney will do to our country and economy, so they are probably holding back as well.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:45 AM
Senior Board Member

The sitting money has more to do with the financial meltdown. Many companies went bankrupt because their lines of credit were tapped out. Ford had the foresight to mortgage everything a few years before the crash happened. GM and Chrysler didn't. The reality is Fords financials were in just as bad of shape, but they were able to tap more credit.

Cash is king now.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:37 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I see your point, that is something I've considered. Where can I find freight that would pay better or be time sensitive or high value? I've been on a few load boards, truckersedge, getloaded, 123loadboard, etc. Everything on there seems pretty basic and in the direction of flats and vans. Is there any kind of website that covers the type of freight you've mentioned?
All those loads are on DAT. I started with Internet Truck Stop, then tried Getloaded, then tried 3 different versions of Dat (Load Link, Dat 360 connect and now Truckers Edge). Truckers Edge is the best I've found for the money and it's all I use.....but mostly they call me now. More and more I seem to sit at home and when they do call it seems to be a last minute over sized SD or DD load. If I stay at home they know I'm always ready to load for them next day. Trucks are often falling off loads at the last minute and it puts everyone in a bind when the crane is already booked.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:14 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo379 View Post
You don't have to. It's just a common sense! If you think you could do better, just do it! If you can't...sorry life is not fair. Nobody owns you anything, and if you thing otherwise, you are in a wrong place to be.
thanks. ill try to always remember this. now that i know life isnt fair i feel as if ive finally gained my first piece of basic common sense. im a changed man.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:43 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
im a changed man.
Somehow i feel sarcasm here....Well, good luck!