User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2012, 11:58 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Thoughts on a truck

I'm back into thinking of buying a truck. My finances are still being worked on and will take some time to 'fix'. But, I was talking to one of the o/o's leased to my company and started thinking.

He's been a driver for 38 years, with 36 of those as an o/o. The truck he's in right now was purchased new. He plans to retire at the end of 2014. He said when he does, he's going to sell his truck for $9-10k to someone to get a start in the business.

The truck is a 2000 Volvo 770. It's got the N-14 (not sure the HP), coupled to a 13spd. He told me the gear ratio, but I honestly forget. The truck is an o/o spec (he bought it from the lot). 300k miles ago, he had an in-frame rebuild, as well as had the transmission and both rears overhauled at the same time. He's always taken the truck to the same shop for all of it's maintenance. Hauling the same freight as I do, he averages 6.25mpg, but that's a lot of running I-68.

I'm thinking that it's something I should shoot for. In a little over 2 years, I could probably have the money saved up to buy the truck out-right, as well as have my other major bills paid off, or really close to it.

So, what's the opinions on that?
Old 10-04-2012, 06:17 PM
Senior Board Member

This won't be on the truck but on what little I know about you.

I'm about 8 months into the o/o experiment and I'm thinking it's mostly like working for someone else except that you have to be able to tolerate a fair amount of paperwork. Being comfortable with tech like you are I doubt you'd have a problem. The other thing is you have to have a knack for talking. Whether it's small talking with the brokers or talking $ with the brokers, every load you get comes from talking. If you're good with that (and I suspect you are), then I think it's a good move for you.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:38 PM
Senior Board Member

mal, sounds like a good truck but, 6.25mpg with him could be 5.5 with you or 7 with you know what i mean? also in 2 years the truck will be 14 years old. you got to think about all the small nickel and dime stuff that will go wrong. while i love the 770 volvo there major downfall is that they're heavy. personally what i'd do is if you think you could buy the truck outright in 2 years put the money to buy it out right and put it down on a truck from a good dealer.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:31 PM
Senior Board Member

As for the age of the truck, that's a concern as well. The only reason I would consider it is because it's a 1-owner truck. Prior to him coming to the company I work at, he worked at one just down the street before they closed their doors. He bought the truck when he was driving for them. That company hauled virtually identical loads that we do now. Also, because of his 38 years as an o/o, I know that he knows how to keep a truck properly maintained.

If I was driving down the road and saw that exact same truck sitting in a lot right now for the same price, I wouldn't even think about it because of not knowing the history behind the tractor.

I'm also thinking that the truck would be a good starting point as an o/o. With the price of it, and hopefully buying it outright, Money could be saved fairly quickly for an upgrade. Or, if I find out that being an o/o isn't for me, I could sell it for a decent amount, hopefully without taking a hit in the wallet.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:28 AM
Senior Board Member

my personal opinion, i'd look at a truck from ryder. i might catch some flack for saying that but.. i bought mine (and i didnt want ryder truck) with their 1 year 100k mile warranty. since i bought the truck i did a water pump and a radiator. the motor did go but was covered. if you ask you could get service records too. i was toying around with their website the other day and they had a few nice 9400 internationals with isx's in there for a decent price. also a few columbia's like mine iwth cats.. single turbo cats.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:06 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebird_1252 View Post
mal, sounds like a good truck but, 6.25mpg with him could be 5.5 with you or 7 with you know what i mean? also in 2 years the truck will be 14 years old. you got to think about all the small nickel and dime stuff that will go wrong.
What's the reason you want to became an O/O? What kind of work? Pay if leased? That's the questions i'd start. Truck is easy.... I also agree with above quote, i've ordered my from a factory, it's 8.5 years old now, but not even 800,000 miles, this year alone, it cost me more than 3 previous years on repairs and maintenance, and it's not over yet...and i did take good care of this truck, cause i hope it will be my last. Don't get me wrong, you seems to be a good person, and i wish you the very best. I just don't want you to do it for the wrong reasons.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:20 PM
Senior Board Member

Mine is 13 years old, 1999 KW, I picked it up at the Renton WA plant, no one has ever driven it, that being said, with an old truck one owner or not, YOU better be able to do lots of stuff on your own, if you are not mechanically inclined, stay away from old trucks, no matter whose it is.

I still have guys everyday ask me to sell them mine, just talk maybe, I dont know, but most who know me know the truck is well taken care of, at 1.3 million, I still have lots of original pieces still on mine, and still performing very well, and it is NEVER babied, not abused, but run hard, and heavy.