User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2012, 11:28 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Own authority???

Looking to get my own authority, and wanted to run a few # thru here to see if this sounds about right or familiar. I got an insurance quote for $11,000 a year for 1 million auto, 2mill general, 100k with reefer BD, 40k trailer interchange. I'm trying to get set up, so I can pull some freight for a broker that I know. Rates are decent. Just want to know how much its going to run me for the whole set up, usdot# mc# boc-3, KYU and NY hut#. My question here is do you think it best to pay OOIDA or DOT authority for these filings or can I get it done for less than what they will charge? I have the insurance all lined up. Just trying to cut cost where I can.. About 3 years ago I helped a family member get his but I forget what his cost was.. Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!!!
Old 09-22-2012, 12:45 PM
Senior Board Member

if i could do it again.. i'd do it right though the FMCSA. it is cheaper and takes the same amount of time. if you call them up they are actually really nice people and talk you though it all.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:22 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

It costs $300 for the filing fee to get your authority. There is no charge for the DOT number. Both can be done online with a credit or debit card. There is no charge for a KYU account. I don't recall the cost for the NY HUT. You will also need to pay the UCR (Unified Carrier Registration. I believe the cost is $76 for a single truck. Whether it is OOIDA or another service you will usually pay them several hundred dollars to do something you can do yourself in about an hour. You just fill in the blanks. It is much easier today than when I first got my authority. Even if you pay someone to do it for you it will still take your time to give the service all the information needed to put on the application.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:45 AM

Thanks, for the info I started the process, on saturday after I posted this. Found out I already have a DOT #, but I needed the pin # to go in and make changes. So I have to wait a few days for it. Figured I have to start doing all the paperwork and files so I might as well get it done my self.. Thanks for the advice....