User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2012, 05:12 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Reitnouer vs. Other Brands of All-Aluminum Trailers ?

Wondering if there are things about design/construction of Reitnouer trailers that make them generally more durable than other brands who also build aluminum flats? There have been a rash of broken/cracked trailers around here lately among my peers including Benson, Chaparral, Ravens. Of course I realize that age/payload/treatment matter, just curious if a Big Bubba or Maxmiser really are better in these respects.

Opinions or experiences?
Old 05-20-2012, 03:18 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

There seems to be a tendancy for aluminum trailers to crack, especially around the suspension area. There is a lot of stress in that area. I think that Reitenour probably makes the better of the aluminum trailers, but they are also more expensive. I considered buying aluminum when I purchased my last trailer, but due to what I had heard about aluminum, I decided to go with steel. Aluminum is lighter, but I don't think that it holds up as well as steel. Besides, if you crack a steel trailer, you can usually find someone to weld it about anywhere you might be at the time. Not everyone is skilled enough or has the right equipment to weld aluminum. With steel and wood, you sacrifice some weight, since steel is heavier than aluminum, but you will have a trailer that should be more durable than aluminum.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:24 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

There is one advantage of buying a Reitenour aluminum trailer. It is my understanding that if you punch a hold in the trailer or damage it, you can replace the damaged panels without much effort. It is much less costly then having to replace an entire section.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:04 PM
Senior Board Member

The aluminum trailers fare much better here in the rust belt, steel ones barely last 5 years, once they rust even welding won't save them.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:37 PM
Senior Board Member

Why not buy alluminum over steel? It will save you a little on the weight issue
Old 05-28-2012, 03:20 AM
Senior Board Member

While I have never owned any other open deck trailer then the 2012 Reitnouer lo-pro step-deck that I purchased last November, I can say that after running it for the last seven months, I’m very pleased with how it has performed.

Obviously only time will tell if cracking will become a problem with my trailer. Reitnouer claims since its trailers are assembled with stainless bolts instead of being welded, the long standing problem of aluminum trailers cracking is negated. Apparently, lots of folks agree with Reitnouer, because the trailers are amazing at holding resale value. I initially planned on buying a good used trailer, but when I saw that 2007 models (Reitnouer 53’ sliding spread-axle step-decks) were selling for $35k and I could buy a 2012 model new from the factory for $45,500, my decision to buy a new model was a no-brainer. I can keep my trailer for five years and then sell it, add $10k to the money and buy another new one… that’s like renting the trailer for $167 a month, and you can’t beat that.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:11 AM
Board Regular

Thanks for the replies. Actually what I would like to find is a combo flat that has the floor designed for the use of J-hooks, but I don't know of any manufacturer that builds them, never seen one anyway. Musicman, I have indeed narrowed my choices in aluminum trailers to those assembled with bolts, which right now seems to be only (that I have seen) Reitnouer, Manac, and I actually saw a new-looking Great Dane aluminum that was bolted together this weekend.

Edit- it appears that Manac does build combo flats with "tracks" in the floor for the use of J-hooks, shown on their website.

Last edited by Red Clay Rambler; 05-29-2012 at 01:16 AM. Reason: info
Old 05-29-2012, 03:18 AM
Senior Board Member

I wouldn't be scared of an aluminum welded trailer. I have an east with full confidence it will last.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:57 AM
Senior Board Member

I will add that after looking at an acquaintance’s Fontaine Revolution, I went to YouTube and watched the promo video and; I have to admit that the Revolution looks pretty cool. I don’t know anything about how they perform in the real world, but the vid on the website kinda made me wish I’d looked closer at those before committing to my Reitnouer.
Here’s a link to the YouTube video if you are interested:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...wUO9SU87IKPh1w

Also, I wouldn’t be too hung up on those J-hooks. I thought the idea was awesome when I first saw it, but I’ve found that over the last seven months, I’ve rarely needed them. In fact, I took twelve of the twenty J-hooks I have out of my trailer box last month to save a little room for my new lasso tire straps. I love that the load levelers just pop into the J-hook tracks, but if you’re spec’ing a flat and not a step, that obviously wouldn’t matter to you. I think the Revolution has a similar system to the J-hook system that might be even more versatile, with tracks that run across the trailer floor from side to side instead of front to back as with the Reitnouer.

Last edited by Musicman; 05-29-2012 at 04:29 AM.