User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2012, 02:35 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Losing Fight Yesterday

I had a load from Ozburn Hessey Logistics in Romeoville Illinois going to Caseys General Store in Ankeny Iowa. I went in and gave them the pickup number and they gave me a door to back into. I backed into the door and got loaded and signed the bills.

My practice is always call the broker before I leave the dock and tell them I am loaded so I don't forget after I get out in traffic. The broker said "WHAT?" I said I am loaded and ready to roll with the load and he said you can't be that load has cancelled. I said no I am loaded and have the bol's in my hand.

I figured this wasn't going to be good so I went ahead and pulled out of the dock and drove to the other end of the parking lot and hid behind some trucks where they couldn't see me.

The broker calls me and says he got a call from them and they said I had left. I said why wouldn't I leave, I have the load on my trailer and the bol's. He said you need to go back and get unloaded and I said the only way I was going back was for $500 and said he would call me back. He called me back and said that if I delivered the load I wouldn't get paid for it and he would give me $200 for truck ordered and not used.

I called OOIDA and talked to the attorney and he said being I hadn't left the property I had to go back and get unloaded. He said if I would of left the property there was nothing they could do. I called the broker and said I would back in for $300 and he said $250 was all he was going to give. I had no choice but to take it.

Lesson learned I am never calling and telling a broker I am loaded until I am on my way with the load.

While I was backing into the dock one of Casey's own trucks pulled in and they took my load off and put it on him.

Last edited by Scottt; 04-08-2012 at 09:42 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:16 AM
Senior Board Member

be not bad dollars loading and unloading for $250 a shot i would of thought ,ah just stirring
Old 04-07-2012, 07:28 AM
Senior Board Member

Is it normal to call the broker?
Old 04-07-2012, 10:31 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete View Post
Is it normal to call the broker?
Absolutely>it's referred to as customer service. You call the broker after loading and every morning first thing with an update and eta, every late afternoon and when you arrive and leave the consignee. That way they know where their customer's freight is and it affords you the chance to book more freight because you are in continual contact with them.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:42 PM
Senior Board Member

Scott, did you get a load confirmation from the broker (did you sign and return it) or did you just do this verbally? Did you ask them how long ago it cancelled?

If you had continued off the property and had an accident or there was a damage claim it most likely would have come out of your hide. Then if you had completed the load and sent your BOL's to the broker - the end result would be more likely be in the courtroom.

In this case the most likely scenario is that they (Casey) did not have any trucks available when the broker got involved. Then suddenly Cassey found an available truck and cancelled the load with the broker and sent their own truck. The shipping people that I've dealt with only want a p/u # or po# ad don't give a hoot about who you drive for.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:09 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dle View Post
Scott, did you get a load confirmation from the broker (did you sign and return it) or did you just do this verbally? Did you ask them how long ago it cancelled?
Yes I had a confirmation, I wouldn't think of taking a load without checking the brokers credit and signing a confirmation.

I have no idea when the load cancelled. I think the broker should of called me as soon at cancelled to see where I was. It I wasn't there yet he could of prevented all the other hassles. I was there over 5 hours getting loaded and waiting to see what would happen. When I finally backed back in they took 2 hours to unload 16 pallets.

It was a fluke because I run a dedicated run but do to the holidays I didn't have a load back home so I got one off the load board. It was 5:30pm when I finally got unloaded and I wasn't about to try and find another load so I just deadheaded home. (350 miles)

Last edited by Scottt; 04-08-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:30 PM
Senior Board Member

If it was me, I would go back to that loadboard and report that broker. I'm assuming that you checked to see if that broker's authority was valid.

Depending on who the paying customer is, the shipper may not of even known who the carrier was supposed to be.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:12 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dle View Post
If it was me, I would go back to that loadboard and report that broker. I'm assuming that you checked to see if that broker's authority was valid.

Depending on who the paying customer is, the shipper may not of even known who the carrier was supposed to be.
The broker was the same as the shipper.......It was a 3PL warehouse.

I left out the funniest part of the whole ordeal. I got a call the next morning and the girl asked if I was going to have any trouble meeting my delivery appointment. I unloaded on her and asked if everyone was just plain stupid that worked for her company. LOL I told her to lose my name and number because I didn't want to ever do business with them again. Now I am getting emails from them wanting me to sign up for their loadboard.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:58 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottt View Post
I unloaded on her and asked if everyone was just plain stupid that worked for her company. LOL I told her to lose my name and number because I didn't want to ever do business with them again. Now I am getting emails from them wanting me to sign up for their loadboard.
Of course you are, they don't want to speak with you BUT if we can deal electronically it's all good!
Old 04-18-2012, 07:47 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgfg View Post
Absolutely>it's referred to as customer service. You call the broker after loading and every morning first thing with an update and eta, every late afternoon and when you arrive and leave the consignee. That way they know where their customer's freight is and it affords you the chance to book more freight because you are in continual contact with them.

Unless you hear "ya know, you call me more than my wife!"