Old 03-22-2012, 03:00 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default The Death of the "Buck-A-Mile" Backhaul

[h=3]The Death of the "Buck-A-Mile" Backhaul[/h]

As I write this, there is only one lane in the U.S. that pays a dollar a mile -- vans from Philadelphia to Chicago were getting $0.48 for line haul plus a fuel surcharge of $0.52 during the week ending March 17.
Carriers used to cover costs on a "buck-a-mile" backhaul, but it seems pretty clear that the carrier's break-even point is well above a dollar a mile today. Your actual costs may vary, but I just want to make a couple of points so please bear with me.
[TABLE="align: left"]
[TR]
[TD]THEN [/TD]
[TD]PRO-RATED COSTS[/TD]
[TD] NOW[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]$0.25 [/TD]
[TD]Fuel[/TD]
[TD]$0.71[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]$0.25 [/TD]
[TD]Equipment and overhead [/TD]
[TD]$0.34[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]$0.25 [/TD]
[TD]Maintenance and tires[/TD]
[TD]$0.33[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]$0.25 [/TD]
[TD]Driver pay[/TD]
[TD]$0.37[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]$1.00 [/TD]
[TD]Total cost to operate truck [/TD]
[TD]$1.75[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Here’s a little more detail. You’re welcome to fire up your spreadsheet software and supply your own numbers:
Fuel costs averaged $4.14 per gallon in the U.S. last week, but if you filled up on the East or West Coast, you paid about $4.25. Let’s say you’re getting six miles to the gallon. Divide $4.25 by 6, and you get 71 cents per mile for fuel.
Equipment leases could be the biggest bargain, compared to the olden days. Let’s say you have a monthly payment on a five-year equipment lease for $130,000, at 8% interest. That payment would cost you about $2,600 per month. If your truck is making 450 miles a day, 20 days per month, that’s 9,000 miles. So your lease payment costs you about 28.6 cents per mile. Add insurance, title and licensing, sprinkle in a little overhead and we’ll call it 34 cents. These are fixed costs, so you’ll have to pay them even if your truck is parked temporarily.
Maintenance and tire costs vary depending on make and age of equipment. I’m going to add another 33 cents to cover this expense, but yours may be different.
Driver pay may be as low as 37 cents per mile now, but everyone keeps saying how hard it is to find qualified drivers and turnover is getting bad, so if you want to retain your best people you’re going to pay them a little more. Driver pay will increase this year.
It adds up pretty fast. Let’s say costs total $1.75 per mile, or somewhere in that ballpark. A small fleet or owner-operator should target at least 10% above costs, to produce an operating profit: that’s $1.75 plus 17.5 cents, which gets you to $1.93. Wow. That’s a long way from “a buck a mile.”
There are plenty of back hauls that just do not pay $1.93 per mile, or $1.75, even including the fuel surcharge. But you could still be okay, if your head haul rate covers the difference.
Maybe your back haul pays reasonably well in the spring and summer months, but it’s not much more than the proverbial buck-a-mile in the winter. Your year-round average is $1.43. That means you have to make up the missing 50 cents on your head haul, so you can average $1.93 for the round trip. Now you need to persuade your shipper customer to pay you at least $2.43 a mile for the head haul.
Before you enter into contract negotiations with your shipper customers, you’ll need a few critical pieces of information:
Know your costs. Use the outline above, make a spreadsheet, and remember to include your fixed costs (leases, insurance, licenses, and overhead, including any facilities and administrative salaries.)
Know the rates in your lanes. If you accept the contract, what can you realistically expect to get paid on the back haul? Does the rate vary by season? How much deadhead is involved?
Old 03-22-2012, 06:22 AM

Excellent info GMAN. Now I can see why I'm going broke leased to a company paying $1.62/mile.

Finances was the topic on the Lockridge Report yesterday. You would have made an interesting caller to his show.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:18 PM
Senior Board Member

I fail to see how equipment can cost 67 CPM, without huge payments. Maintenance for a truck and trailer is usually around 10 CPM for me (including tires). That is a year over year average however. I had one year where it was around 20 cpm, and any time you do an inframe it's going to be higher.

As far as fuel costs any good company should have a cost plus fuel program. Looking at the fuel prices I got yesterday the bulk seem to be in the 15-20 cents per gallon. Some are only 1 cent and others are way above 30 cents per gallon. That is huge savings. US average right now is $4.14 yet the average on my spreadsheet is $3.95. These programs are even available to a one truck company through NASTC.

On top of that I would consider 6 MPG nowadays the absolute minimum. Unless you're specialized of course. There's only a few tanks a year I'll get below 6 mpg. A 7 mpg average in most operations is a good target and acheivable.

Driver pay is another interesting area. I would consider 37 cpm extremely low. 40 cpm plus drops/picks is what I would consider the mininum, then you have taxes on top of that. In Canada the employer pays half of the EI and CPP. This adds another 8% or so on top of what you pay the driver. So we're up around 51 cpm.

Fuel 56-71 cpm
Maintenance 10-20 cpm
Insurance/licencing 10 cpm
Payments extremely variable, from 0 cpm to 40 cpm
Driver pay 0-51 cpm

You can see where the math could be all over the place on this. One operation with an o/o could be right around 80 cpm, while the next one with big payments and a company driver could be in the $1.90/mile range.

But this in no way justifies pulling for $1 a mile. I know there is one commodity that will always pay in that range, and that is lumber out of Alberta. It's usually around $1.20 a mile however. But still extremely low. I refuse to haul it.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:58 PM
Rookie

Thanks GMAN, really good information and advice.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:47 PM
Board Regular

Shame on you for not giving credit to the real author!

I had to chuckle when I read it in my email.

I've been telling brokers this for years.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:51 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by YerDaddy View Post
Shame on you for not giving credit to the real author!

I had to chuckle when I read it in my email.

I've been telling brokers this for years.

I didn't realize that I failed to include his name when I first posted the article. I posted it on another forum and it was there. This came from DAT. I don't recall the author, but he did a nice job of breaking some costs down. I am sorry if it appeared that I wrote the article. That was not my intention. I liked the title and felt that it would be thought provoking for those who think that they can do a back haul for $1/mile.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:24 PM
Senior Board Member

Pensacola, FL to Manasass, VA............ buck a mile two weeks ago. PODS
Old 03-30-2012, 10:29 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RostyC View Post
Pensacola, FL to Manasass, VA............ buck a mile two weeks ago. PODS

The only reason they offer them for that rate is because carriers and/or owner operators are taking them at that rate. If they let them sit then rates would come up. I have actually hauled PODS and gotten a good rate, but it has been some time and not out of Florida. Any time that I go to Florida I plan on deadheading out. If I can find something with a decent rate, then I may take it, but that has been rare for me. We need to stop blaming the brokers and put the blame where it belongs, on the carriers and owner operators who continue to haul these cheap loads. Rates always come up until someone takes the load.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:48 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by barf View Post

Finances was the topic on the Lockridge Report yesterday. You would have made an interesting caller to his show.
Impossible to get on the show unless you are a regular caller! You hear the "back door" line ringing all the time and then the next caller is one of Evan's buddies!
Old 04-03-2012, 08:20 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
The only reason they offer them for that rate is because carriers and/or owner operators are taking them at that rate. If they let them sit then rates would come up. I have actually hauled PODS and gotten a good rate, but it has been some time and not out of Florida. Any time that I go to Florida I plan on deadheading out. If I can find something with a decent rate, then I may take it, but that has been rare for me. We need to stop blaming the brokers and put the blame where it belongs, on the carriers and owner operators who continue to haul these cheap loads. Rates always come up until someone takes the load.
Right on! I couldn't believe it when I heard it. Told him he wasn't even close to my rate. Conversation was over.
Landstar recently offered me a shade over a buck a mile out Birmingham, AL. I couldn't believe it. I asked if it was a partial. nope full truck. okee dokee see ya later.