User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2012, 12:46 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I would venture to say that it's different with each company...
Old 02-14-2012, 01:34 AM
Rookie

I emailed you SJ ...maybe went to spam?
Old 02-14-2012, 12:49 PM

Hey Bruce,

I got it and replied back, if you didn't get it, let me know, I will resend.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:23 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead View Post
Fremont Contract Carriers, Fremont, NE. Truck 555. Been with them for just over 4 years. I live in Central Iowa, I keep my running mostly between Nebraska and Ohio, and north of I-70. Most of the guys run 48. I got on with them just after they started a Midwest "regional" kind of thing, and that is what I chose. I would say that my revenue is ball park of what most everyone makes. Some more, some less. FCC states out front that $200K revenue is doable by most people. I wouldn't argue with that. And considering they have a good fuel surcharge rate that is recalculated every Monday, and some pretty good discounts on fuel (both in and out of the company network) along with either no fuel card charge or a maximum charge of 75 cents, and the stop off pay is $75 for the first extra and $100 for each one after that, and detention pay is pretty good. On one run, the customer wanted it at 6PM. I got there at the appt time, but they didn't get me done till just before 7AM the next day. I was able to do a 10 hr break (which I needed to do anyway because I was at the end of my 14 when I got there), and still got $375 for detention. The miles they calculate are pretty close to reality. My average out of route miles for each year has come in at a hair over 3%. Base plates are mine, but FCC reimburses 100% to me each year. Nice little perk.

And I have turned down a few loads. There is no just taking what they give you, but the customer base is pretty good so it is rare for me to balk at a load.
Thanks a bunch. Sounds like a pretty decent outfit.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:44 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek Jackson View Post
Thanks a bunch. Sounds like a pretty decent outfit.
yeah, they are. Mike Herre, the owner, is a pretty good 'ol boy. There is a real good group of people there. Can't say for the 48 state guys, but I would have to guess that I have a little over 50% drop and hook loads.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:30 PM

bruce, any info on that trashing hauling company. i've been looking into it. I was wondering if you can provide any information about it. thanks..
Old 02-17-2012, 10:39 PM
Rookie

Toby, its Santaro Development in E Syracuse NY. They will tell you that they hold back 4 weeks but in reality you wont see your first check for 6 weeks. At that time they pay you 1 week at a time and are always holding back the 6 weeks. You get 140 Gallons of fuel a day from the Clarkstown transfer stations and its more than you need for the run. Its just short of 600 miles. There are salt backhauls when we're not having February beach weather. Trailer rental is 450 per week. You need to carry 1 mil in liabilty and 25,000 full coverage on their trailer.

The work is real hard on the the truck, tires & you, but you can get 5 loads worth 700 each if you have 107,000 permit for a net of 3,000 after trailer rent and fuel. Backhauls which I never did could get you another 1,500 on the same fuel if you can run that hard. You'll get to know the DOT bears a bit. Overweight permit will cost you 900. 2 line wet line to run walking floor trailer also.

The other companies that I know of in this area are Sunshine and Riccelli. I don't know much about either of them.

Checks are'nt always on time...one or 2 days late from Santaro. Checks have bounced on some guys before though lately have not hear that happening. Rumors fly around about him going bankrupt or selling. I was paid all my 6 weeks when I left. I know of three other owner operators who left and all were paid all monied owed when they left also.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:20 AM
Senior Board Member

what is the reason for holding 6 weeks pay??

Doesnt sound too bad if you owned your own trailer.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 02-18-2012, 12:42 AM

I was thinking the same thing mackman, sounds like a good fit if they don't hold back 6 weeks. Im looking for something running out of NYC area. I may have to give them a call. Been over the road here for 8 years and I think( I know) its taking it toll on me now. Looking for something different. Thanks for the info!!!
Old 02-18-2012, 12:16 PM
Rookie

I believe its because the owner thinks thats its ok to pass on his late/slow paying government customers habits.
They give you a trailer and the fuel so they probably think its ok, but its why you can go there and sign on anytime. They have very few O/Os as you might imagine.
They're all I know of the trash business. Post it if you find a better customer please.
On getting home...you have to run pretty hard to be home every day unless you live at the landfill end of the run. Landfills close at 3:30. Cant get loaded on the other end before 9am and you'll find guys sleeping on line to get that first or second load...you get out of the transfer station (loading point where the little trucks dump the stuff in a garage where a machine loads the trailers) after 10:30 and your not making the landfill that same day. Guys who live along the route go straight home then leave house 1 or 2 in the morning to be on line to offload at 6am to then turn around and get loaded before 2PM when the shut off the fuel pump and make you go to an automated fueling station at another location. Also you get there much later than 3pm and you're not getting loaded that day.

A tough racket you might say, but there is good money if you can get it all worked out. i know of a guy who lives right by a landfill and has a couple of trailers and is doing real well with it.