User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2012, 05:48 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Looking to cut out the Brokers

I been driving for quite some time. I have been running way to long just to be making money for other people and businesses that really dont need to be taking as much from us as they are. I have learned that some brokers for loads are taking 20 to 35 percent of the cost for themselves. However more often than not I have found brokers to be slicing off as much as 40+ percent for themselves. I don't mean to hateful or spiteful but this trucking business is all I have and all I know. I can't afford to go under. It has been a struggle just to maintain everything I need such as the truck itself, insurance, etc. So I am asking if any of you drivers out there who do not run for brokers could help me by giving me some information on how to approach the businesses about driving specifically for them.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:27 PM
Senior Board Member

It's pretty simple math..........If you can't pull the load and make the profit you need to operate then don't take the load. It has nothing to do with what the brokers are keeping for themselves.

You are just supporting cheap freight if you are taking loads and losing or breaking even on the money.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:35 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

There are brokers who will take as much as 50% of the rate if they can find a truck that will take it. If you want to find direct shippers then you need to just start making phone calls and writing letters. There is no easy way to find your own customers. It takes time and effort. It sounds to me that you may do better by honing your negotiating skills. There are cheap rates, but some are not too bad. It is the time of year when freight is typically slow and both brokers and shippers tend to take advantage of the slower business cycle. It really comes down to making your mind up that you will not run your truck for less than a certain rate. I won't take a load that I cannot make a certain amount of profit. Whether you get a load from a broker or shipper, you don't need to take a load for less than your coast of operations and some profit. My philosophy is simple. No profit, no truck. At least not my truck.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:39 PM
Rookie

Hawkrider here, just wanted to say thanx for the feedback. Don't know why it was that I didn't see it before the way I did after reading your reply. thanx G-Man.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:33 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkrider View Post
Hawkrider here, just wanted to say thanx for the feedback. Don't know why it was that I didn't see it before the way I did after reading your reply. thanx G-Man.

I am glad that I could bring a little clarity to the issue, Hawkrider. It comes back to who really sets the rates. It is always the guy who hauls the load.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:36 PM
Senior Board Member

It ain't cheap freight until it's on a trailer.