User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2011, 04:37 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Need some opinions!

Just like everyone else I don't want to work for the man, I want to be the man.
My plan is to be a company driver for a couple years, as I'm doing that I will be learning by experience and asking you truckers for advice. I want to learn as much as I can in those 2 years.
After the 2 years I will buy my own truck, drive it myself. Once it is paid off I will drive it it for another year, saving up money. So, after the 3rd year I will buy another truck and put someone in it. Possibly put someone in my 1st truck so if a driver needs or wants some time off I can get in either truck so both trucks are making me money.
The last thought in my mind is to buy a truck after I get the previous one paid off or as finances allow.

There is my business plan lol. Any thoughts or advice, both positive and negative are welcome.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:41 PM
Senior Board Member

Easier said then done. Good luck to you. Trucking is a ruff business. Profits are very slim. Most O/Os stay O/Os. only very few own more then 1 truck and make it.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 09-25-2011, 04:52 PM
Senior Board Member

This week I had revenue of $800 and spent $3300...........I need to buy more trucks and hire some drivers and I will make more money right?
Old 09-25-2011, 04:54 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottt View Post
This week I had revenue of $800 and spent $3300...........I need to buy more trucks and hire some drivers and I will make more money right?
How is that???
Old 09-25-2011, 04:58 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman View Post
Easier said then done. Good luck to you. Trucking is a ruff business. Profits are very slim. Most O/Os stay O/Os. only very few own more then 1 truck and make it.
I know it does sound pretty easy lol. I also know it won't be, I figure if I am going to struggle and be stressed out it might as well be cause I'm trying make something of myself not something for someone else. In the end I would like to have a contract with the U.S. Mail.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:11 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiley View Post
I know it does sound pretty easy lol. I also know it won't be, I figure if I am going to struggle and be stressed out it might as well be cause I'm trying make something of myself not something for someone else. In the end I would like to have a contract with the U.S. Mail.
Advice Number One: DON’T DO IT! The odds are against you being successful in your endeavor. Statistically, all you’re going to do is bankrupt yourself and ruin any credit rating you might have in the process. Far more folks fail in this business than succeed.

Advice Number Two: Since you are unlikely to listen to Advice Number One, at least make sure you do everything with cash. Absolutely no credit, at least not in the first couple years, and that includes factoring loads (assuming you plan on running under you own Authority). Only spend the bare minimum on everything and put every penny you can into savings for a rainy day. Also, learn to do as much as possible yourself. There are people on here that would disagree with me, but I just don’t see where there is enough margin in trucking these days to pay bookkeepers, permit folks, dispatchers, etc. The only thing I outsource is my actually tax filings. The only maintenance I farm out is lubes when I’m on the road and anything else that is so involved that there’s a chance I might screw it up. I buy oil by the 55 gallon drum, filters by the case and tires from a local shop that gives me very good deals. I don’t spend money on the road in truckstops either. A lot of drivers eat two or more meals a day in the truckstops and that can equal several hundred dollars a week. Basically, I live like I’m making no money and I’m broke, even though I’m doing just fine. When I run cost analyses, I overestimate my expenses and underestimate my revenue intentionally. That always leaves a little financial wiggle room in case (as it usually does) something goes wrong.

Advice Number Two will cause you to grow slowly. You will have a hard time adding trucks doing it from your pocket. I figure I need $20k in the bank in operating expenses for every truck I add. Once you deliver a load, it might take five or six weeks to get paid for it (sometimes longer… I had a customer go nearly nine months on almost $35k), so for each truck you run, you need cash for six weeks of fuel, money to pay your driver for at least four weeks, as well as some cash on hand for maintenance. There’s plenty of guys on here that don’t do what I’m suggesting, but they are adding expense (a factoring company) and risk to their operation. I’ve been in situations where I didn’t get paid when I was supposed and I don’t ever want to risk doing that to someone else.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:09 PM
Rookie

Musicman- You are not the first one to tell me not to buy a truck lol. But the rest of your advice is more what I was looking for lol. What do you drive and is there a reason you drive it? Maintenence is one of my biggest concerns. I am also considering a lease option, what's your opinion on that?
Old 09-25-2011, 08:53 PM
Senior Board Member

wiley.. first off listen to music man.

second you can forget about the us mail contract. i know it better then most, i was a company driver for one of the biggest in fl and one time biggest in ny and nj. they need to see money in your bank account, PERFECT credit, not a hint of a problem on your back round check. IF you do get a contract it'll prob be a crappy one that will not last long and not pay well. there used to be a clause that if they terminate the contract you'll get what the contract was worth. WRONG they just keep taking runs away untill you have to forfit the contract.

you want to know how the above poster made $800 but spent $3300? simple. fuel, breakdowns, maintenance, tolls, tags, insurance etc.

i was down for 2 days because of a $28 sensor. not only down but i got a $919 bill for said sensor, labor and 2 tires. just this week i put a new air to air in my truck. $768 for the part. $143 for the labor.. oh and freightliner wanted 4-6 hours @ $126 an hour. went to the local cat dealer they had it done in a hour and a half and i needed 2 clamps. i run off the rail doing containers (which i HATE) and i do pretty well. some might think its nothing but i live pretty comfterable. i average about $1500 a week. thats after fuel. this all comes out of my check: plates, ifta, insuances, escrow, and some other things that i cant remeber right nwo.. but.. i work and work hard at it. my highest check in one week was $2600 and i'm home every night. by jan. or feb. i'll be under my own authority and i HOPE to be doubling that $2600 clear a week. will it happen? i dont know but i'm sure as hell going to try. worst case is i go back to the rail..

my sugestion.. stay far away from this business as you can. once your in its almost impossible to get out.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:53 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiley View Post
Musicman- You are not the first one to tell me not to buy a truck lol. But the rest of your advice is more what I was looking for lol. What do you drive and is there a reason you drive it? Maintenence is one of my biggest concerns. I am also considering a lease option, what's your opinion on that?
I’ve got a 2006 Pete 387. The reason I have it is because I had a 2003 Pete 387 that was stolen in February 2008.

I bought the 03’ in June 2005 through a company lease – purchase (which I don’t recommend). I ended up leaving that company just six months after starting the lease purchase and showed up with a cashier’s check for the balance of the truck the day I told them I was leaving. Needless to say, they were not only surprised, but angry because they, like most companies that offer a lease purchase program see it as a way to make you slave. They figured I was stuck… I’d either have to stay and put up with their bullchit or leave and they’d get to keep the truck to lease out again to some other sucker. They figured wrong.

When the ‘03 was stolen, I opted for the same make and model because I had just spent three years learning all the peculiarities of the 387. I do most of my own maintenance work so it was a no-brainer to stick with what I knew. The one thing I did do this time was make sure I got the more fuel efficient ISX. My fuel economy with the new truck is nearly 20% better than it was with my old C15, and that’s even with hauling much heavier loads.

The one thing I don’t like about Peterbilt is that dealerships are few and far between and only a couple offer 24/7 operations. It seems like there are several times more Freightliner dealerships and many of those are 24/7 or at least open late. It is the one factor that might sway me to buy a Freightliner for my next truck.

To get back to the question of doing a lease/purchase on a truck… NEVER, EVER get involved in one with a carrier. This topic has been covered in-depth on this board, so I won’t spend too much time on it here. Let’s just say that it is a form of 21st Century slavery. Some carriers (CR England, for example) have abused folks so badly with their leases that they have had class action lawsuits filed against them.

Here’s a link to the OOIDA page detailing the saga with CR England:
News, OOIDA Court Actions

CR England isn’t the only company that has abused lease contracts. Such behavior is more the norm and not exception.

These days, anyone with cash is allowed into the former “dealer only” equipment auctions. You can show up with $15k and buy a truck you’d pay $25k for on a truck lot or $50k in total payments in a lease purchase program.

Last edited by Musicman; 09-25-2011 at 09:56 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:58 PM

Want to make money and drive your own truck? First buy as much truck as you can afford, no older than 300,000 miles, pay at least half down. Lease on to a good, reputable company that can keep you busy and has a significant amount of coast to coast freight, then find a woman who can put up with you in confined quarters 24/7 and can keep you reasonably happy. Then teach woman to drive, pay to run her through a school then get here hired. Sell your home, put the cash in the bank (you'll likely need it), put your stuff in storage. Take this good woman of yours (who now knows how to drive) and run 5,500+ miles week for 6 years or so, replacing the truck 2 or 3 times. Be frugal, then you can retire to Mexico if you want, or keep working your ass off. Do it any other way, and you'll just be "barely be making a living" ... maybe.

A company driver in a similar team operation is the ideal way. Let "the man" deal with the deprecation and break-down costs, while you make your guaranteed amount as long as you want to work. The running under your own authority? Only a very small handful can find themselves in the right place at the right time to make that work without significant available working capital in the first 3 years. Try finding out just how cut-throat this business is and how many "independents" think they can run brokered freight for 90 cents a mile to the truck. Try finding a good, dependable driver who you have to rely on, not being able to offer benefits, and see how that goes. Try answering the phone at 5:00pm to find your driver is stuck in an inspection station in Virginia, red-tagged, with four mechanical violations and 2 bad tires.

Last edited by rkeck; 09-25-2011 at 10:03 PM.