User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2011, 08:16 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Need o/o advice!!!!!!

Hello truckers:

Im currently looking to pursue my childhood dream, which is to become a truck driver. But I have questions about whether its even doable the way I want to do it. Here we go: I am 26 years old and live in Houston, Tx. I work offshore with Shell 14X14 schedule (14 days on and 14 days off) and I just got my class A CDL and I have no driving experience which Im sure will probably be my biggest setback. My plan is to buy a truck $10,000-$20,000 and I would like to run a least 5-7 days on my 14 days off. I would like to run a 500 mile radius (due to insurance, road, and fuel tax purposes).

P.S. I don't want to quit my current job due to benefits and the money that I make out here. I just want to make a little more money on my days off rather than just sitting around trying to find something to do. I figured that this maybe something I can do on my days off (which is something I've always wanted to do as a kid. Let me know what you guys think about this. Thanks in advance
Old 09-20-2011, 11:18 AM
Board Regular

14 consecutive days off is certainly enough time to make some decent supplemental income. You are correct, lack of experience will probably be your biggest hurdle. The good news is that there appear to be quite a few o/o positions available around Houston that involve staying local, based on a quick scan of craigslist. Maybe try talking to a small container company. I definitely think you would be much better off trying to do this with a truck that is paid for.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:39 PM
Rookie

Thanks Rambler I just looked on craigslist and they did have some options. And yeah that my plan to buy the truck cash so that I wont have a note.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:26 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

It is difficult to get started when you don't have any experience. You may find it easier to get your authority with wanting to run two weeks on and two off. Most carriers will want you to go with a trainer for at least a few weeks to a few months. I have known some who have managed to get their authority without any previous driving experience. It will be a challenge to find loads and learn to drive at the same time. If you had at least 6 month to a year driving experience it would be easier to get on with a carrier that pays percentage, such as Landstar or Mercer. They would offer more flexibility than most. I would check around with some companies, but I think it will be difficult unless you can take time off from your current job to get some experience. As Red Clay Rambler stated, you could check Craigslist and with others to see if they might be receptive. Things are always changing. One other thing. If you do decide to get your authority you should plan on getting a trailer. It will be much easier to find loads when you have a trailer. JB Hunt and a few other carriers have programs to pull their trailers if you have your own authority. I don't know if they require a minimum time in business. I think that JB Hunt likes to have a 14 day commitment before putting a truck under their trailers. It might work for what you have in mind.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:01 AM
Rookie

Thanks GMAN I will look into it.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:26 AM
Rookie

check out united vision logistics
Old 11-08-2012, 04:52 AM
Senior Board Member

I would highly suggest you be a company driver. The fixed costs could be very high per mile since you won't run as often as most. You're talking about 10-14 days a month, which translates to about 5000 miles a month. Your fixed costs per mile are more than double what is considered normal. That and a lack of experience makes me suggest company driver.