User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2011, 08:28 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Yokohama Tires Wearing Way too fast?????

I have some Yokohama TY303 (I believe this is correct model) virgin tires, bought them 5- 29 -2010, and have 88,796 miles on them and they are at 7/32 tread???

They have never been run low, had a flat or any abuse on them, have been rotated already at 9 months, run speed limit on roads, and not jerked around, but this is terrible.

Had 3 axle alignment on 9-1-2010, truck runs true and not out of alignment.

I cannot imagine what could have caused this as I am not rough on my truck or tires and haul off the woodyard 100% of the time and not out of the woods when I haul wood, and when not running FB to MS and back to Ashville AL.

I run 100pds of air pressure and only have one that leaks down in a month of 3 lbs, all others hold 100lbs great.

I have noticed it seems as if the middle of the tire is wearing a little faster than the outside gooves are??

Just had 3 axle alignement done today and Tech said it all axles were still in the tolerance level and truck was not out of alignment??

The Tire Shop where I bought them, said I needed to lower the air pressure from 100lbs to 95lbs and it should help them wear better. The outside is at 12/32 on all tires and the middle is on 7/32????

He said he has never seen a log hauler with such even wear tires, that they were usually cupped, or wearing on one side more than other side. He told me if he was grading on how well the tires were took care of he would give me a A plus cause they looked great.

I told him only had 88,796 on them and he replied that lowering them 5 lbs would get alot better wear and extend the mileage they could be used for. He told me they would go close to 150,000, I don't believe they will make it to 120,000?

Any Advice and or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-17-2011, 08:56 PM
Board Icon

He's right about lowering the air pressure. Sounds like your wearing out the middle which means it's over-inflated. I would lower it a little more than 5 pounds, I would go with 10 pounds less but I'm not a tire tech so don't take it as gospel. I only run 85-90 in my truck on Bridgestone's and the wear is the same on the shoulders and middle. Mind you it's a dump truck and not a log hauler.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:16 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Rick View Post
I have some Yokohama TY303 (I believe this is correct model) virgin tires, bought them 5- 29 -2010, and have 88,796 miles on them and they are at 7/32 tread???

They have never been run low, had a flat or any abuse on them, have been rotated already at 9 months, run speed limit on roads, and not jerked around, but this is terrible.

Had 3 axle alignment on 9-1-2010, truck runs true and not out of alignment.

I cannot imagine what could have caused this as I am not rough on my truck or tires and haul off the woodyard 100% of the time and not out of the woods when I haul wood, and when not running FB to MS and back to Ashville AL.

I run 100pds of air pressure and only have one that leaks down in a month of 3 lbs, all others hold 100lbs great.

I have noticed it seems as if the middle of the tire is wearing a little faster than the outside gooves are??

Just had 3 axle alignement done today and Tech said it all axles were still in the tolerance level and truck was not out of alignment??

The Tire Shop where I bought them, said I needed to lower the air pressure from 100lbs to 95lbs and it should help them wear better. The outside is at 12/32 on all tires and the middle is on 7/32????

He said he has never seen a log hauler with such even wear tires, that they were usually cupped, or wearing on one side more than other side. He told me if he was grading on how well the tires were took care of he would give me a A plus cause they looked great.

I told him only had 88,796 on them and he replied that lowering them 5 lbs would get alot better wear and extend the mileage they could be used for. He told me they would go close to 150,000, I don't believe they will make it to 120,000?

Any Advice and or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Buy Goodyear G933 RSD or Dunlop SP464. :thumbsup:
Old 09-17-2011, 09:46 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
Buy Goodyear G933 RSD or Dunlop SP464. :thumbsup:
Or if you have the bank roll buyMichelins. I run BFGOODRICH 444s had good luck with them so far on a tri/axle dump

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 09-25-2011, 05:35 AM
Senior Board Member

I just took a pair of RY617s off my steers and I've got 12/32" left on them after 97k miles. I've also had a good experience with 16 ply RY023s on all ten wheels as well. I've never run a lugged Yoko tire, but have never had a bad experience with any ofthe all-position tires I've run.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:32 PM
Senior Board Member

I think there's a possibility your wheels are not wide enough for your tires. This can certainly happen. Doesn't matter what you do with the inflation you always get severe inside wear. Basically your inside is wearing twice as fast as the outside, this is a big problem.