User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2011, 04:08 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question in question??

I've been trying to read up, time to time but that's one thing that's hard to find. So I will just ask for advice , new at this but can anyone tell me would a 4964 western star w/n14 460hp/13sp with 3:36 rears. 2001'model be a good choice for over the road and grain hauler? Ive heard good things of the motors,but not sure of 3:36 verse a 3:55 gears for power/economy. Nor the truck itself, has around 870,000 on it. Thanks to everyone in advance. Love the site just can't get to it often
Old 09-08-2011, 10:50 PM

The truck you described would be a pretty good tractor for grain hauling. I haven't been around an N-14 for quite awhile but they were/are a good engine if it was well cared for. (guess that's true for most though) One of the main concerns for a good grain truck is weight. If your truck/trailer empty weight is too high it will cost you in payload.
I have a 9900 International with 244 wheelbase and a 2011 Timpte 42/66/96 and my empty weight full on fuel is 26900. That gives me 950 bushel of corn or 880 bushels of wheat interstate legal unless the OCC gets hung up on group of 4 weight, then a little less:lol:.

Much of my work is 150 mile radius or less if all goes well, so most of the time I run 85,000 since I don't use interstate. So I normally have over 1000 Bu of corn or wheat on. I am tagged 85,000 in OK with a 5% variance, and 80 in TX KS NEB.

With 870,000 miles, has it had any major components replaced or rebuilt? If so was it done by someone with a brain? You will need more $ in reserve if you plan on putting 2 to 3000 miles a week on a truck with that mileage.

Last edited by Graintrain; 09-08-2011 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Added ?
Old 09-15-2011, 03:02 AM
Rookie

Thanks. Graintrain I spoke with guy, he says its dry end to end runs out good Tranny tight, but says was a repo didn't have any history on it. For year and miles looks immaculate in/out in pictures but e c m miles are 116139 more than odometer, isn't that alot of difference. Thought I heard somewhere you can take vin to dealer and find out what was done in dealer shops? I found some site that gave weight on similar truck 18575 for tractor. Might be fat lady compared to your 9900. Maybe wont be there long its 200 mi from my house. Thanks again. Graintrain
Old 09-15-2011, 03:14 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

If you want to check on any work that has been done on the engine then you will need to get the serial number off the engine and take it to Cummins or an authorized Cummins dealer. As long as the work was performed at an authorized dealer they should be able to give you a printout. I don't know if you can check any work just from the vin number. I think that when I want to check something about previous work on my trucks that it is under my name rather than the vin, but I rarely have work done at any of the major dealers. I can usually get the same work for about half what most of them charge. If you have the name of the previous owner you might be able to do a check under his name if the vin number doesn't turn up something.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:21 AM
Rookie

Thanks. Gman I wasn't sure about that, I sent the dealer email to see if he will send me info then I can see what turns up? I appreciate the help thanks again.