This guy went off his meds I think!:thumbsdown::ranting:
Iowa Atlantic - Home
Old 08-22-2011, 03:06 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

This kind of behavior isn't unique. I've never had a problem quite like this one, but we've been ripped off once or twice for expenses that were incurred because of a customer’s incompetence, and had a few unpaid TONUs. This broker's behavior is deplorable but you also have to keep in mind that there are at least as many bad carriers out there as brokers and this guy might have reached the end of his rope with bad carriers. RTS has no credit info on file for this broker and Ansonia shows 4 businesses reporting with no alerts. I won’t do business with a brokerage that hasn’t been around for more than a year (preferably 2), and has at least some positive credit data with RTS and / or Ansonia. I just don’t want to take that kind of a risk. No load pays enough to justify the increased risk of getting screwed on it. I recently deadheaded 1085 miles home from South Florida because I couldn’t find anything worth my while. Sticking to my policy, we’ve never had a non-payment on a load and have only had a couple loads make it into the 60 day column.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:44 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Atlantic View Post
This guy went off his meds I think!:thumbsdown::ranting:
Iowa Atlantic - Home
What kind of produce are you hauling or what insurance company are you using that makes your cargo insurance ($130 a week, per your website) cost more than my Primary Liability, Cargo ($150k with reefer breakdown), and truck and trailer physical damage ($80k combined)? If I’m required to have my own truck and trailer and if I’m paying all or most of all the insurance bill, (at almost $7k a year we know it’s not just cargo), am I also paying IFTA, WDT (NM, OR, KY, NY), etc., as well as plates, 2290 and the like? If so, then your deal is basically the same as running under my own Authority, except for 8% of gross you are handling the dispatching, accounts receivable and taking care of the paperwork and filings, right?

I’m not knocking your business model, just trying to understand it. As long as you are good at maximizing rates and pay your trucks in a timely fashion, your deal should appeal to folks that tried running under their own numbers and found out that while they might be good drivers, they aren’t good businessmen. Why hide the fact that they are paying all of the insurance? It still could be a good deal for a lot of people, but seeing that one small deception should make people wary of you even if they have nothing to fear. Most guys with just a few trucks factor their loads to the tune of 3 – 5%, so if you are settling weekly then they are really only paying you 3 – 5% more for the opportunity to get out from under the headache of dispatching, accounts receivable, permits, etc. (not to mention passing on some of the liability). Sounds like a winner of a deal to me. If I was factoring my loads and wasn’t doing well on my own, even I would look more into what you have to offer.