User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2011, 12:36 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Starting small fleet trucking business...

Hello,

My name is Ben and I live in Memphis, TN. I work as a career firefighter and am looking into starting a small fleet trucking business. My current work schedule allows me 20 days off per month and my salary allows me to cover all of my bills comftorably.

I am looking into purchasing one or two trucks and hiring driver(s) to operate them leased on to a carrier. I have been pondering this business for several years now. I am willing to put the time and effort into establishing a business for the long term. I acknowledge that there are significant risks and many factors both controllable and uncontrollable in the freight business. That being said, America runs on trucks and people aren't in this business to lose money so there has to be a way to do this profitably. I believe there is a relationship between risk and reward and those who stick there neck out there increase their chances for success but unfortunately get thier head cut off to. At this point I am in the planning stages and am assessing the feasability of this venture. I value the experience on this board and would love to get any feedback that yall would be willing to give me. That being said here are some of the many questions I have;

1. Is purchasing a truck via dealer financing, independent bank financing, or via a leaseing company the preferred way to go?

2. How would you organize your business? (sole propietership, LLC, etc...)

3. What is the average time between delivering a load a receiving payment?

4. Can you recomend any companies to lease to?

5. Long term what pay structure is most profitable and most consistent? (per mile vs. percentage of load)

6. When leased as an o/o / fleet owner, how is dispatch handled? Would the company dispatch the truck(s) or would I be responsible for finding loads?

7. I have my costs figured at $1.10/mile. Is this realistic and is profitability possible at this cost per mile?

8. What "fleet" type programs are avaliable to small fleet owners?

9. In figuring my costs, I allotted $0.38/mile for driver pay. Is this competitive?

10. Do fuel surcharges adequately adjust to market fuel prices?

11. What advice would you give to somebody in my position?

I would like to thank anyone who replies in advance. Also, if anybody with verifiable experience in a small fleet operation be interested in any "consulting" work?

Thank You,

Ben Bindokas
Old 06-25-2011, 02:51 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEN52 View Post
Hello,

My name is Ben and I live in Memphis, TN. I work as a career firefighter and am looking into starting a small fleet trucking business. My current work schedule allows me 20 days off per month and my salary allows me to cover all of my bills comfortably.

I am looking into purchasing one or two trucks and hiring driver(s) to operate them leased on to a carrier. I have been pondering this business for several years now. I am willing to put the time and effort into establishing a business for the long term. I acknowledge that there are significant risks and many factors both controllable and uncontrollable in the freight business. That being said, America runs on trucks and people aren't in this business to lose money so there has to be a way to do this profitably. I believe there is a relationship between risk and reward and those who stick there neck out there increase their chances for success but unfortunately get their head cut off to. At this point I am in the planning stages and am assessing the feasibility of this venture. I value the experience on this board and would love to get any feedback that yall would be willing to give me. That being said here are some of the many questions I have;

1. Is purchasing a truck via dealer financing, independent bank financing, or via a leasing company the preferred way to go?

It is usually best to go with a lender who is familiar with you. It will usually cost less if you go with your own financing. Not all banks loan money for class 8 equipment, especially for someone who has no experience in the industry and will not be the driver. There are leasing companies that do financing for class 8 equipment. I would stay away from any lease purchase from any carrier.

2. How would you organize your business? (sole proprietorship, LLC, etc...)

I prefer a corporate structure. Everyone is different. I would consult with your CPA to see what might be best for your situation.

If you lease to a carrier you can have your money in a few days from the time you deliver and send the paperwork in to the carrier.

4. Can you recommend any companies to lease to?

It depends on the type of freight you want to haul. If I were planning to lease to a carrier I would look for one who is agent based and paid percentage rather than one who paid mileage. But, doing so will likely result in your having to be more actively involved in the dispatching.

5. Long term what pay structure is most profitable and most consistent? (per mile vs. percentage of load)

Rates can vary according to the type of freight hauled and where you run. Percentage usually pays a higher rate to the truck than mileage.

6. When leased as an o/o / fleet owner, how is dispatch handled? Would the company dispatch the truck(s) or would I be responsible for finding loads?

Some carriers have a dispatcher assigned to each owner or truck. Some will require you to look for your own loads. Most of the percentage carriers require a pro active owner.

7. I have my costs figured at $1.10/mile. Is this realistic and is profitability possible at this cost per mile?

Your costs are likely to be higher than $1.10/mile, especially when you consider the cost of a driver. Fuel alone can run upward to $0.70-80/mile. Other than a driver you will have other costs associated with ruining a truck. You will usually need to buy base plates and permits, contribute to a maintenance account and purchase insurance.

8. What "fleet" type programs are available to small fleet owners?

I am not sure what you mean. Each carrier has their own program for owner operators.

9. In figuring my costs, I allotted $0.38/mile for driver pay. Is this competitive?

It is competitive. In fact, you could probably find a driver for about $0.30-.32/mile. You will likely be required to purchase an occupational accident policy or workers comp for your drivers.

The fuel surcharge usually changes every week with the federal fuel price index come out. Some owner operators do well with the fsc. The fsc can be different with each shipper or broker.

I would advise you to drive yourself for a year or two before putting a driver in a truck. It can be difficult to make much of a profit when you only have one or two drivers in your truck. It is even more challenging when you don't understand the business. I am not sure you can get sufficiently decent rates with most carriers to be able to let them manage your trucks. You will make a lot of mistakes starting out. Mistakes can be expensive.

I would like to thank anyone who replies in advance. Also, if anybody with verifiable experience in a small fleet operation be interested in any "consulting" work?

Thank You,

Ben Bindokas

The main problem with putting drivers in trucks is that they will never take the care of your equipment as you would. If something breaks you will get a call in the middle of the night and be expected to fix the problem. You will have drivers who will not only abuse your equipment but will also sell your fuel and steal from you. It is the dark side of this business that most don't want to discuss. Most who own trucks expect it to happen so they are not surprised when it happens. That is one reason many pay a lower wage to compensate for the high cost of theft and abuse. There are some of us who have drivers and do manage to make a few dollars along. It is not something that I would recommend to anyone who didn't have some driving experience. This industry has a very high failure rate. It will help your odds of being successful if you have some actual driving experience.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:23 AM
Senior Board Member

As a driver that has driven for fleet owners:
If i make $1000 a week driving for a big company, i would have to make almost $1500 on a 1099 to get to the same place...I would factor in taxes, health ins. 401k/retirement, life insurance, FICA etc. also i would consider the support structure and equipment. Your profit margin will be low and dependent on the driver doing what he is supposed to and not screwing up or your equipment messing up. I have had an automatic trans go out while on a load- the towbill was $1000 and the trans rebuild was close to 10 grand if im not mistaken. Add to that the loss of income. You have to ask yourself if you could suffer a major loss like that and not go broke. You cannot expect to be able to pay this months costs with this months revenue, there will be delays.
I drove for 2 different fleet owners, 1 knew less about the business than i did and lost his pants on the whole endeavour; The other had junk equipment and didnt want to fix/maintain it, he ended up without a driver and said driver (me) got screwed out of a paycheck.
I am not as pessimistic about the drivers as Gman is, but yes, it happens that fuel is stolen, it happens that a driver gets and advance on a load but then doesnt go get the load, but go to the bar, or calls in sick to do whatever. It happens that trucks get hit or broken into in a parking lot, freight stolen while the driver is asleep in the bunk, robbed or equipment stolen. Sometimes its the driver thats envolved, more often it is not.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:45 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

More often that not when something is stolen the driver is the first one who is checked. That doesn't necessarily mean that I don't like to be so pessimistic about drivers, but he should be aware of what can and will happen when he has drivers. Even with good drivers things will happen. When you own trucks you need to be prepared to pay a tow bill or pay for a major repair such as a rear, transmission or engine. Tires will always need to be replaced.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:04 PM
Senior Board Member

Just letting you know. You are talking about getting into a business with one of the smallest profit margin there is. Plus finding and keep good drivers are hard to do. There is a reason why the avg. turnover rate in OTR trucking is 100%+. Good luck. But i would look at something else.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 06-25-2011, 03:15 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

One other factor you need to consider is your truck sitting when you don't have a driver. If you finance your purchase your payments will go on whether it is moving or not. There is a high turnover in trucking. It is rare for anyone to have one or more drivers in the waiting to step into the drivers seat when one quits. Your truck could sit for days, weeks or months. You don't want to put just anyone into your equipment. They will need to be qualified by the carrier to whom you lease. Once approved they will need to go through orientation. You can count on losing about a week, just for orientation. You will usually be responsible for the cost associated with getting your new driver to orientation and the cost of his motel or living expenses until he gets into a truck. You could also have a driver abandon your truck. It will be up to you to get it back. Unless you have a CDL, you will need to pay someone to get it for you. I don't like to be the bearer of bad news, but this is an industry where you can very easily lose your shirt.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:31 PM
Senior Board Member

I think he should maybe buy one truck and drive it himself on the 20days off he has. Sounds like you have a great job. I would stick with the FF as along as you can. Retire with a great retirement I'm sure you get and live a happy life down at the beach or something. I wouldn't even think of messing with trucks lol.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 06-26-2011, 01:15 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman View Post
I think he should maybe buy one truck and drive it himself on the 20days off he has. Sounds like you have a great job. I would stick with the FF as along as you can. Retire with a great retirement I'm sure you get and live a happy life down at the beach or something. I wouldn't even think of messing with trucks lol.
I agree completely. This is such a bad idea. It's not bad enough that you are thinking about doing this with one truck...you want TWO!

Your FF salary will be subsidizing the trucking operation. IMO you cannot manage drivers if you have never been a truck driver. Furthermore, unless you are capable of replacing them on the spot (which means getting in the truck yourself), they have you over a barrel. I can offer some stories as can many others on here, but I will stop at 2.

An former engineering co-worker of mine had a father who was a truck driver...a car hauler. Anyways, the son (my buddy) saw that his dad was making money so he bought a car hauler setup, put a driver in it and leased it on with the same company his dad was leased to. He said it was awful. He went through several drivers. One stole fuel. My buddy never knew because he had never driven a class 8 truck so when the driver said it was getting crap mileage he believed him. They damaged cars. They missed appointments. It was the happiest day of his life when he got rid of that truck. He lost many, many thousands of dollars. His Dad was making money as an owner/operator/driver, but that does not translate to making money as an owner.

My driver trainer in truck driving school was a fire fighter. He had his CDL and on his days off he would drive for L.E. Walker. All he had to do was call dispatch and they would generally have a short run for him. It was enough to get the bug out of his system.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:38 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman View Post
I think he should maybe buy one truck and drive it himself on the 20days off he has.
This make a lot more sense than to buy 2 trucks and put driver in then when you have no experience in this industry. Once you get some solid experience behind you and if you then want to buy another truck and put drivers in them then you will have a much better idea of what you are dealing with and how to manage your business. You will find that you will need to spend much more time managing those trucks than you ever imagined. You will probably net more money driving one truck on your off days than if you bought two trucks and put driver in them.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:51 PM
Rookie

I do apologize but i need to chime in a little bit here so I might give similar answers to everyone else.

1. Is purchasing a truck via dealer financing, independent bank financing, or via a leaseing company the preferred way to go?

I found that independent banks that finance Class 8 equipment are the cheapest and reasonable. I prefer to own the truck and trailer. I will lease a trailer but it is cheaper in the long run to own the truck and trailer. That way when you pay the money for payments you are essentially own the equipment at the end.

2. How would you organize your business? (sole propietership, LLC, etc...)

Incorporate or LLCprotect yourself

My suggestion is to get your authority. with you having your authority you essentially make 100% of the money. Just my opinion. It is not for the weak of heart. All things considering most companies that you will run under there authority are gonna cut more off the pay than you will ever have knowledge. Do they all NO but majority do.

4. Can you recomend any companies to lease to?

For leasing I have heard great things about GreatWide, not so sure about Landstar.

% HANDS DOWN

tYPICALLY when you lease a small fleet to a carrier, A)either you will have an assigned agent/dispatcher B)some companies require the owner to do it

Varies, depends on all your factors and always fudge on your fuel!!! I would recommend using 2000-2500 miles as your mileage

8. What "fleet" type programs are avaliable to small fleet owners?

contact specific carriers for their details and if that is what you want to do, pick the best one for you

I recommend pay the driver a % of rate. Just my recommendation. Some might say otherwise, but the guys that will take the % will work harder in my opinion and will want to run

NO

gET YOU AUTHORITY, sorry all caps. But .... you will make more money. You are taking the risk of dealing with drivers and carriers and brokers, why not just accept the risk that you will be taking anyway and get paid for it

I can consult for you. I drove, owned trucks, and have brokered freight, and I am an independent dispatching service.