User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2011, 01:04 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

If you plan on laying the pine on top of the old wood, it might be alright. I don't think that I would want to put pine down in place of the apitong. It might work, but whether you are talking about rubber tires or track, you will have a lot of weight on the deck. I haul some military trucks, etc., on my step deck from time to time. I would rather have something with a track than a wheel due to the displacement of the weight using a track. I have 12" centers on my step deck and I would be apprehensive about using pine unless I put it on top of the old wood. I might be more inclined to use sheets of plywood rather than pine until I could afford the apitong. Neither will last all that long. The apitong on my trailer is 1 1/8" I believe. Do you plan on taking up the old wood before putting someting else down on your trailer?
Old 07-06-2011, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
If you plan on laying the pine on top of the old wood, it might be alright. I don't think that I would want to put pine down in place of the apitong. It might work, but whether you are talking about rubber tires or track, you will have a lot of weight on the deck. I haul some military trucks, etc., on my step deck from time to time. I would rather have something with a track than a wheel due to the displacement of the weight using a track. I have 12" centers on my step deck and I would be apprehensive about using pine unless I put it on top of the old wood. I might be more inclined to use sheets of plywood rather than pine until I could afford the apitong. Neither will last all that long. The apitong on my trailer is 1 1/8" I believe. Do you plan on taking up the old wood before putting someting else down on your trailer?
Yea, I have to take off all the old wood. Its all broken and rotten. I really don't have another choice but to take off all the wood. I just bought this trailer and need to get it on the road asap. It's a 94 Fontaine 48x102, fixed spread, AirRide, Dump Valve, 22.5LP, 36 inch ride height. I really wanted a 53x102, but got this one pretty cheap. I figured the ride height was sweet it being on 22.5's, so I jumped on the opportunity.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:19 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillN View Post
Thanks for the input. I'm a little skeptical about using 1" plywood. I need to re-deck the entire trailer. There is absolutely no wood on there that can be saved. I will also be sandblasting and painting the trailer myself. I will be posting a few pictures on here soon, to show before and after I guess. Back to the flooring, I was thinking of using 1 1/2 -2 inch treated pine. I think my cross members are 12" apart, so hopefully the pine holds for about a year. I don't know what other wood to use that is in the price range on the treated pine.
Using pine that thick will raise your deck height. If you use 2" it might work for you. That is going to be a lot of extra work. If the pine is already treated you might make it work longer by treating it again in about 6 months. It is not cheap reflooring a step deck. Mine is 53' long.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:25 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Yea, I have to take off all the old wood. Its all broken and rotten. I really don't have another choice but to take off all the wood. I just bought this trailer and need to get it on the road asap. It's a 94 Fontaine 48x102, fixed spread, AirRide, Dump Valve, 22.5LP, 36 inch ride height. I really wanted a 53x102, but got this one pretty cheap. I figured the ride height was sweet it being on 22.5's, so I jumped on the opportunity.

The lower deck height may help you. Your post reminds me that I need to call a guy I know who has owned a lot of open deck equipment. He also has a sawmill.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
The lower deck height may help you. Your post reminds me that I need to call a guy I know who has owned a lot of open deck equipment. He also has a sawmill.
Glad I can help someone out. lol...
I really need to get this whole re-decking thing figured out. I honestly don't want to use pine. I don't trust it, but if I can use it for a year for any stepdeck load, I guess I'll have to do it. Can't really beat the price down here for Top Choice 2" x 6" x 16' #2 Prime ACQ Treated Lumber for $8.97 per plank.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:46 AM
Board Regular

What are you cross member spacings? Are you doing general freight or anything specific? It would be my inexperienced guess that if you could lay 2 sheets of plywood (having each layer staggered) it would be stronger than pine. If you want to treat it you can do that also.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:43 AM

Anyone have an opinion on these woods: poplar or ash.. Anyone have any experience with any of these types of wood?

Last edited by GrillN; 07-06-2011 at 03:53 AM.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:06 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I know that people say not to drive anything on top of the pine, but do you really think that the pine will bust or crack if I drive up a rubber wheel loader or a medium to heavy duty truck(cab and chassis / dump trucks / military)? I know for a fact that anything on tracks will rip the pine apart, but I'm not sure what will happen with rubber wheels. And I'm pretty sure the pine will hold standard 47-48K pound stepdeck loads. Opinions are appreciated!
I can tell you for a fact that anything heavy on fir or pine alone, will fall through both. IF you choose to patch the holes in the trailer with pine......I would suggest going one step further and covering it (the entire deck) with 1" marine plywood as well, like Gman suggested. If you sprayed the entire top of the plywood with linex, you could run it for a couple years and save up the money to do the deck right.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:07 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Anyone have an opinion on these woods: poplar or ash.. Anyone have any experience with any of these types of wood?

Ash is used to make baseball bats....it has some good points....but it also has its bad points.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
I can tell you for a fact that anything heavy on fir or pine alone, will fall through both. IF you choose to patch the holes in the trailer with pine......I would suggest going one step further and covering it (the entire deck) with 1" marine plywood as well, like Gman suggested. If you sprayed the entire top of the plywood with linex, you could run it for a couple years and save up the money to do the deck right.
Thanks for your info. You don't think the marine plywood will flat out break/snap when 40K+ lbs rolls over it?