User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2011, 03:49 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Smile Brokers/Dispatch/Loadboards?? O My

Hello to all. I am gonna start with saying I am excited to finally beable to post on here after 2 weeks I have been following the boards for at least a month!
Ok here is my situation that I am looking for input on...
My wonderful boyfriend figured he could talk me into brokering for him. I have researched this to the max everyday with long hours and talked to him about this. (He has been driving a truck for 10 years) After the research and reading I have come to the conclusion brokers can been very shady! (It's the way of the world now a days) You can not make any money on loads going for under $2.00 a mile! That a carrier may destroy our trucks and steal money from a fuel card?? etc.etc.etc. WOW!
So we have 2 drivers we are getting ready to put in trucks next week. We joined a couple loadboards and have met with possible shippers. We are trying to stay in the midwest for the most part and so looking on the loadboards I am seeing a average of $2.25 a mile and fsc .47-.50! I think that is great So is it safe to stay running off loadboards at all times? I am not on here looking for people to tell me get out of the business I will screw it up I am looking for support and dependable people to answer some questions I may have and maybe even some new friends I do like to go to bed at night knowing I am not someone who scams people out of there money or hurting others! Maybe I am just to nice..hehe!
So thanks for listening(reading) and I hope you all have a wonderful day!
Old 05-04-2011, 06:46 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfarms View Post
My wonderful boyfriend figured he could talk me into brokering for him. I have researched this to the max everyday with long hours and talked to him about this. (He has been driving a truck for 10 years) After the research and reading I have come to the conclusion brokers can been very shady! (It's the way of the world now a days) You can not make any money on loads going for under $2.00 a mile! That a carrier may destroy our trucks and steal money from a fuel card?? etc.etc.etc. WOW!
Did you mean he wants you to dispatch / find loads for him (him being an owner operator) off the boards? If you’re going to BROKER loads, you’ll need a bond ($10k minimum) and federal broker authority to legally do so. You said you’ve put in lots of research so surely you are aware of broker requirements, but it’s unclear from all you typed just what you are trying to do.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:03 AM
Rookie

$2.25 per mile + fsc $0.47-0.50, that sound really great. Whats about backhaul? ~$1 per mile, then its no good.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:43 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfarms View Post
So we have 2 drivers we are getting ready to put in trucks next week. We joined a couple loadboards and have met with possible shippers. We are trying to stay in the midwest for the most part and so looking on the loadboards I am seeing a average of $2.25 a mile and fsc .47-.50! I think that is great So is it safe to stay running off loadboards at all times?
Sounds like you will be a dispatcher. Rates (after fuel cost) in my lanes are the best I've seen in almost 5 years....so yeah you might be able to make a go of it by running off a DAT load board now. In a few months it could be a different story however....this business can turn on a dime.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:56 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rank View Post
Sounds like you will be a dispatcher. Rates (after fuel cost) in my lanes are the best I've seen in almost 5 years....so yeah you might be able to make a go of it by running off a DAT load board now. In a few months it could be a different story however....this business can turn on a dime.
Turned on a dime here here, we're in the $h!tter again.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:31 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You can make money from the loadboards. You may need to hone your negotiating skills. You will find cheap and good paying loads. With time you should develop some of your own contacts. Rates are beginning to decline again. It takes more effort to get the better rates. It may require sitting a day to get a better rate. I don't understand what you are talking about when you mention about a carrier destroying your trucks and stealing money from your fuel card. I would also not classify all brokers as dishonest. I have met some who were honest and helpful. I would caution anyone to be careful when doing business with any broker or shipper.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:24 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RostyC View Post
Turned on a dime here here, we're in the $h!tter again.
Really? Holy smokes it's *almost* name your price around here.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rank View Post
Really? Holy smokes it's *almost* name your price around here.
Rank! Could you please tell me were round here is i like "name my price!
As GMAN said im seeing a decline atleast in INDY. been here since monday trying to get my min. $3.00 w/fuel $4.20.........
Old 05-12-2011, 03:53 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebrd View Post
As GMAN said im seeing a decline atleast in INDY. been here since monday trying to get my min. $3.00 w/fuel $4.20.........

I don't know if it's the recent weather events or what? This is awful.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:19 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebrd View Post
You have a minimum of $4.20 a loaded mile? Your CPM can't be more than ~1.40 + driver....are you trying to profit over $2.80 a loaded mile?

Anyway, to answer your question;
Legal step deck loads from Baltimore/Dundalk, MD to ON = $4/mile. More money for all other destinations. There are several reasons *I think* why this lane pays what I think is a good rate;

1. TWIC required if loading at the port, but there are still good loads not at the port.
2. High fuel prices in Canada ($4.80 pump price as I write this) keep American trucks away.
3. ZERO freight coming out of Canada so you are guaranteed to DH out.
4. QC and ON law requires all trucks speed limiters to be set at 65 mph
5. The roads SUCK.

IMO, all of the above "problems" are minor issues and there are ways around all except the pot holes.