User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2011, 03:14 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Who makes the lowest stepdeck?

Talked to Wilson today about adjusting the height of the deck. They said, "we don't recommend changing it." They only have 2 options for the deck: either 36" or 39.5". The first one is with 17.5" tires or with 22.5" tires and lowered deck; the latter is with 22.5" tires. I think I saw trailers being advertised as having 32" deck height... I know all trailer manufacturers are different. Can someone tell me who makes a stepdeck with the lowest deck height?

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 02-16-2011, 03:40 AM
Senior Board Member

That's a really loaded question. Any trailer that is aluminum composition will have a slightly higher deck height, although it will squish down when you fully load it. So that eliminates aluminum framed trailers. There are various ways to mount the suspension, and you can even have a slightly sloped trailer(down towards the front) to help you out. Both will help. You can even go lower than 34-36" if you put steel wheel wells around the wheels. It's pretty rare to see a trailer like that though. The wheel wells stick up quite a bit above the deck. The deck might be 26" off the ground or so. Kind of like this trailer:

2009 TRAIL KING TK90ES Drop Deck For Sale At TruckPaper.com

But lower and with wheel wells. I'm pretty sure someone on here had a trailer like that.

Don't buy the advertised height, that could be with the suspension dumped or something. The guy could even lower the landing gear and measure it that way. The only proper way is with the suspension loaded and hooked to a truck.

Although I didn't answer your question, these are the variables you have to look for. If a company doesn't offer 17.5 tires, etc... then don't bother with them.

For aluminum look into MAC or Chaparral. Steel frame I'd look into Doonan or maybe Landoll.

Last edited by allan5oh; 02-16-2011 at 03:42 AM.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:29 AM
Senior Board Member

We have one of those wheel well step decks Allan. I`d like more. Almost bought 2 used ones as a matter of fact but I couldn`t get the Wilson dealer in Souix Falls to budge from his $20,000 price. The deck height is lower than 39.5 inches....it`s more like 36 - 37 loaded.

One thing I learned when shopping for them and spec'ing them out was that the lower they are the heavier they are. This is because they cannot get strength into the main beam from the height of the web. On a low step, due to reduced beam height, the shorter beam needs to have thicker flanges and web to get the same strength as a taller beam. I used to have a drawing of a Transcraft and IIRC I think it was lower than the Wilson with the 17.5's.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:51 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
That's a really loaded question... For aluminum look into MAC or Chaparral. Steel frame I'd look into Doonan or maybe Landoll.
That trailer with open wheels cutting through the deck is no good when you haul general freight. You lose too much deck space.... We have a dealer here where I live and they are offering Dorsey tridem 53 ft steps with 32" deck height. I'm skeptical but if you say steel trailers are lower than aluminum ones, it might be close to the truth.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]686[/ATTACH]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dorsey.jpg (98.4 KB, 8 views)

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 02-16-2011, 10:56 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rank View Post
One thing I learned when shopping for them and spec'ing them out was that the lower they are the heavier they are.
Mine has really massive frame underneath, probably because the deck is 36" high.

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 02-16-2011, 01:30 PM
Board Regular

I had a all steel Kalyn(now heil)with a 33" deck, weighed 9900 lbs with steel wheels and 2 tool boxes. Do you know what grader pockets are?

Last edited by Heavy Duty; 02-16-2011 at 06:32 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:12 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Duty View Post
I had a all steel Kalyn(now heil)with a 23" deck, weighed 9900 lbs with steel wheels and 2 tool boxes. Do you know what grader pockets are?
9900 lbs? How long was it? 45 ft Mine is a COMBO with ALUMINUM wheels and it still weighs 10,300 lbs. I have no idea what grader pockets are.

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 02-16-2011, 11:59 PM
Board Regular

Try one of these http://www.jetcompany.com/images/spe...ble_compLG.jpg

JET makes good trailers Jet Company Manufactures Grain, Side Dump, Flatbed, Dropdeck, Detachable Gooseneck and Tag Trailers they will build what you want.

Grader pockets are recessed areas where the wheels on the load set.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:35 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Duty View Post
Try one of these http://www.jetcompany.com/images/spe...ble_compLG.jpg

JET makes good trailers Jet Company Manufactures Grain, Side Dump, Flatbed, Dropdeck, Detachable Gooseneck and Tag Trailers they will build what you want.

Grader pockets are recessed areas where the wheels on the load set.
I think a better way to handle 11 ft tall DD loads on a custom step would be to have space above wheels OPEN (2 ft long holes) and have 2 pre-programmed suspension heights: Option 1 would make the deck 36" tall and the 17.5" wheels are UNDER the deck; Option 2 makes the deck 32" high or less and the wheels rise through the holes in the floor. This way I could haul 11 ft tall construction equipment and also haul 40 ft long sea containers

I'm still undecided about RGNs. I keep checking the LS board and the amount of DD freight between US and Canada is extremely limited. Most of posted RGN loads require 3 or more axles, or an extendable trailer. If I could get a 53 ft ultra-low step, I might make more money than with a basic tandem 48 ft RGN. I think.

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 02-20-2011, 12:02 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer View Post
I think a better way to handle 11 ft tall DD loads on a custom step would be to have space above wheels OPEN (2 ft long holes) and have 2 pre-programmed suspension heights: Option 1 would make the deck 36" tall and the 17.5" wheels are UNDER the deck; Option 2 makes the deck 32" high or less and the wheels rise through the holes in the floor. This way I could haul 11 ft tall construction equipment and also haul 40 ft long sea containers

I'm still undecided about RGNs. I keep checking the LS board and the amount of DD freight between US and Canada is extremely limited. Most of posted RGN loads require 3 or more axles, or an extendable trailer. If I could get a 53 ft ultra-low step, I might make more money than with a basic tandem 48 ft RGN. I think.
-Well, yes the 53 was a no brainer but you made your bed.
-I think the adjustable deck height is alot od expense and weight for nothing. What exactly is the problem with the trailer you have now as far as height goes?
-Can't you pull a Landstar RGN and pay the fee to them like the van guys do?
-It's not really that limited. Does LS not go into Dundalk? BTW, if you don't have a TWIC you may as well forget about an RGN.

Last edited by rank; 02-20-2011 at 12:09 PM.