User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2010, 09:37 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Looking for thoughts on intermodal?

As I've posted before, I've been considering buying a truck and flatbed, getting my own authority and running around the upper mid-west. I spoke recently with a guy who has a bunch of trucks on the road and used to run flats and he basically told me to steer clear of it. All of his trucks are hauling intermodal containers now for a company out of Rochelle Illinois called Roadlink. He spoke highly of them. So, now I'm thinking about leasing to them holding off on the idea of getting my own authority for now. Saves me the trouble of buying a trailer+tarps+chains+whatnot, and it's leasing is less to bite off than getting authority.

I don't know anything about intermodal so I'm looking for any info/advice to help me make an informed decision. Also, any info or experience anyone has had with Roadlink would also be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:00 PM
Senior Board Member

I have a friend who hauls intermodal. I am only speaking from what ONE person has told me, but she has been driving truck since the mid 70's, and has done most everything; she has been doing intermodal for several years now, and is about to be done with it. My understanding is that it can be much harder on your body & the truck b/c the containers can cause a lot more jerking motion on your truck. Replacing trannys is usually problem. The pay can be quite good, but, as my friend has stated to me, "Not worth the wear & tear" (to self and truck lol)
Old 10-18-2010, 11:13 PM
Senior Board Member

I ran intermodal for 5 years. the problem with Roadlink is that you have to load/unload the trailer from your flat. Meaning that when you get to the BNSF yard in Rochelle, you will have to sit and wait in line (sometimes can take 3hrs) then you have to have them set the box on the trailer and then you get to secure it down and throw chains (oh yippie) then you haul it to where ever it's going, then come back and do it all over again to get it off.

I know it doesn't sound like a huge help, but Schneider runs comapny trucks out of Rochelle (and some O/O but last I checked, they weren't taking any on) the boxes are already on the chassis so there is no waiting, DOT tends to leave alone the chassis/box guys more than they do the flat/box guys just due to securement and equipment designs, and I know for a fact the company guys are BRINGING HOME, after taxes about $800 a week and home every day/night..... just some FYI.

Plus, at Roadlink you will be driving with 95% Polish/Russian/Romanian drivers

I was leased to Schneider from 2003-2008 as a O/O on the Rail Division. I left for family reasons and when I tried to re-hire, they were not taking guys on the O/O board, but I can tell you I LOVED IT!!!!!
I worked Mon-Thurs from 8pm-5am and never brought home a check under $1,800 a week........ too bad that gravy-train left the station LOL

Last edited by Steel Horse Cowboy; 10-18-2010 at 11:16 PM.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Horse Cowboy View Post
I ran intermodal for 5 years. the problem with Roadlink is that you have to load/unload the trailer from your flat. Meaning that when you get to the BNSF yard in Rochelle, you will have to sit and wait in line (sometimes can take 3hrs) then you have to have them set the box on the trailer and then you get to secure it down and throw chains (oh yippie) then you haul it to where ever it's going, then come back and do it all over again to get it off.
Assume that I know nothing about intermodal (which I don't).
How do you secure a container?
How do you use your chains on a container?
And lastly, what does a typical day running intermodal look like?

Thanks
Old 10-20-2010, 04:45 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super 8 View Post
Assume that I know nothing about intermodal (which I don't).
How do you secure a container?
How do you use your chains on a container?
And lastly, what does a typical day running intermodal look like?

Thanks
Well securing a container to a "container" chassis take about 3 mins. All you do is walk to the 4 corners and turn the locking pins.....

Chaining one to a flat will require you running a chain thru the pocket corners of the chassis then thru your flats rails and around the frame on each end of the box, then length-wise too.

A regular day of hauling containers? Depends on who you work for, where they go and where they come from (yards)

Daytime work is the worst by far. LONG LINES, and even longer waits to have a chassis swap or repairs.
If you decide to go this route, I highly suggest working nights, but with roadlink you will most likely not have a choice and will be OTR for 5 days
Old 10-25-2010, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Chaining one to a flat will require you running a chain thru the pocket corners of the chassis then thru your flats rails and around the frame on each end of the box, then length-wise too.
Are you certain of this? I just saw a Roadlink driver hauling a short container on Friday and it didn't look chained to me. It wasn't on a flatbed.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:13 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super 8 View Post
Are you certain of this? I just saw a Roadlink driver hauling a short container on Friday and it didn't look chained to me. It wasn't on a flatbed.
I'm sorry, i thought you said you were going to run a flat and haul containers....... I was pretty sure Roadlink ran just standard Intermodal Chassis. If thats what it is, then there is money to be made and is much easier. You will still have to wait in line most days to get your box, but a lot easier than running a flat with a container.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:37 PM
Senior Board Member

the big thing with most intermodal gigs is the wait, quality of the chasis, and (I know I'm going to get flamed for this) most ports are union. If the chasis I huled were worth something and not garbage I'd probably still consider hauling containers. I HAVE found the rail yards I ocationaly pulled from were beter than the port chasis but that might have to do with the mentality of the crowd going in and out of the ports as well.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:56 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry, i thought you said you were going to run a flat and haul containers....... I was pretty sure Roadlink ran just standard Intermodal Chassis. If thats what it is, then there is money to be made and is much easier. You will still have to wait in line most days to get your box, but a lot easier than running a flat with a container.

No, I'm not looking to get a flat right now. I just want to buy a tractor and pull intermodal chassis. That is, after I first make sure I know what I'm doing and getting into. So, the way you're describing this it sounds kind of promising. The waiting is a downer, but we see a lot of that with hauling anything.
You said there is money to be made. Can you elaborate on that? Thanks!
Old 10-28-2010, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeshock View Post
the big thing with most intermodal gigs is the wait, quality of the chasis, and (I know I'm going to get flamed for this) most ports are union.
I unload everyday at a union factory in my straight truck. For the most part they're pretty cool, although they all left me high-n-dry last week when they took off for a union vote and I was unable to get unloaded.

I'm assuming the chassis probably take a beating. How would this affect the driver though?

Is the driver just shuttleing these chassis between yards? Are we talking 3 hours to load and 3 to unload? I'm still trying to learn how this all works?

Thanks.