User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2010, 03:13 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Stuck in PA

Well this takes the cake. Just had the motor rebuilt in February and yesterday one of my valve seats shattered and tore up the cylinder and went through the turbo. Cat says 7500 bucks.

My mechanic used my old head but had it remanned at a local shop so it's not covered under a Cat warranty. I wonder if anyones gonna jump to take responsibility for this bill. :roll: Gonna have to get me a bag of cheeseburgers before this is all over.

So here we sit in Milesburg, PA at the Cat house until Tuesday or Wednesday. I have another truck coming Monday morning to deliver my load in Berwick, PA (about 80 miles away).

How's that go again.............. :bigthink:

oh yeah

That's truckin!
Old 11-20-2010, 04:28 PM
Senior Board Member

I feel for you rosty. That really sucks big time. But remeber when you were kicking around that idea of a new truck a while back lol. ANyway iwish the best of luck to you. But i wouldnt bet on anyone helping foot the bill.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 11-20-2010, 04:52 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RostyC View Post
My mechanic used my old head but had it remanned at a local shop so it's not covered under a Cat warranty.
Sorry for your luck, but being who i am can't not to put any solt on your wounds. You got what you paid for. Does your mechanic gave you any warranty? Or that local shop?
Old 11-20-2010, 05:35 PM
Senior Board Member

Good people at Milesburg, I have ALL my Cat stuff done over there. I think they will take good care of you. While the head is off, look closely at ALL the other cylinders, for another $3500, they can be replaced and you can get a nice warranty from Cat.

Rick on the evening shift is the one you want to set it up.............the guy is GOOD !
Old 11-20-2010, 07:17 PM
Senior Board Member

Maybe Mackman will come by and take you out to dinner.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:37 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac View Post
Good people at Milesburg, I have ALL my Cat stuff done over there. I think they will take good care of you. While the head is off, look closely at ALL the other cylinders, for another $3500, they can be replaced and you can get a nice warranty from Cat.

Rick on the evening shift is the one you want to set it up.............the guy is GOOD !
When my mechanic rebuilt it in Feb he used all CAT parts except of coarse the head. So I do have a warranty on the parts and one year on the labor.

Now, I'm not very familiar with truck engines and my options when dealing with rebuilds, so I just didn't think of using a CAT head or asking about the difference in price between new and rebuilt head. I also put trust in my mechanic and let him do what he thought best. He was a CAT mech for 25 years before opening his own shop. Looking back I'm wondering why he didn't just use a new CAT head for 1800.00.

Here's where it gets a little interesting........... about three months after the inframe the number three cylinder valve loosened up. My mech adjusted it back to spec and said if it came loose again we'd have to do something about it. It was the number three cylinder valve seat that failed.

Yesterday when CAT said it was definitely internal I called my mech and he then reminded me of the loose valve a while back and told me to tell them to check it. He thought it might have loosened up.

He should have addressed the valve when it loosened up and not let me leave the shop that day, and that for me is frustrating. He's a really good mechanic but I think he's taking on too much work and can't keep up. This is going to be a battle because nobody is going to want to pay for this damage, either my mech or the shop that did the head work, I can just feel it. I hope I'm wrong.

I got into trucking about three years ago from construction so unfortunately I have to learn things the hard way. From now on only CAT does my engine work.

Oh and it is indeed Rick who is doing the work :thumbsup:

Thanks for the feedback Maniac.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:40 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebirdrfd View Post
Maybe Mackman will come by and take you out to dinner.
He's too cheap. and I don't put out on the first date, he ain't gonna like that.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:45 PM
Senior Board Member

Yes, I know it may save you a $1,000 or more to use a local shop, but I ALWAYS use the manufactures dealer. On my Detroit I always go to Detriot Diesel (Inland Power Group) for engine stuff. I actually just got a 6-pack installed by them for $300 LESS than any local shop, and $700 less than the Freightliner dealership. Got a 2yr warranty on it too. That way, if it do bad, then i can just roll into whatever is nearest and get it fixed weither it be a FTL dealer or KW. Just my .02
Old 11-20-2010, 07:45 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo379 View Post
Sorry for your luck, but being who i am can't not to put any solt on your wounds. You got what you paid for. Does your mechanic gave you any warranty? Or that local shop?
You're right I got what I paid for, lesson learned. Although I didn't do it to save money, I put my trust in my mechanic. Yes my mechanic gave me a year, not sure about the local shop on the head but my shop should take care of this and then they can go after the shop that did the head.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:46 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo379 View Post
You're right I got what I paid for, lesson learned. Although I didn't do it to save money, I put my trust in my mechanic. Yes my mechanic gave me a year, not sure about the local shop on the head but my shop should take care of this and then they can go after the shop that did the head.