User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2010, 04:20 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default First Landstar load

Despite what they taught us at Orientation I got my first load off the Internet, and the rate was not too bad. Picked up some stuff in Toronto, ON and heading to Texas. I spent probably 5 hours at my laptop 'fishing' and at the end of the day on Friday (with the long weekend coming in US) did manage to hook this relatively big fish. The load was picking up on the next day (Saturday), and the only thing I asked the Agent to change was the delivery date, from Tuesday to Wednesday. She said she'd call me back and I thought that was the last I heard of her, but half an hour later my phone rang and she said, "They said it's okay. Where shall I fax you the load paperwork?" I didn't check the mileage, I didn't negotiate the rate (too early for that) but I did ask her if my trailer (Conestoga stepdeck) was okay for this load and she said yes.

Lost my service brakes on the way to the shipper: a bracket that holds a break line on the right side of the truck broke and the hose fell on the ... driveshaft! It didn't take long for the driveshaft to 'drill' a hole in the hose. When I pressed the service break, I could hear the loud hiss from under the truck and the air pressure on the main gauge was falling like a rock. It was probably the first time when I heard the Low Pressure alarm when the truck was moving! The repair wasn't too expensive: paid $65 for a new hose and bracket; and it took 45 minutes for the mechanic to finish the work.

So, I'm heading to Texas which is a pleasant surprise because I thought I'd be stuck sitting at home through the Labour Day.

The first couple of days were pretty stressful as I was learning a lot of new information. All the procedures here are different from what I'm used to:

- how the ACE is done (you have to fax it twice; first the cover page to the Agent, and then the same cover sheet (together with the e-manifest from the Agent) to the Broker)
- how fuel cards work (stuck the hose in the tank and was surprised when it cut off after $19.73 worth of fuel!); all the fuel cards I've used before were of CREDIT type and they didn't require money on the card in order to buy fuel!
- how to write down miles in each state/province you go through
- how to submit 'status updates" at least twice a day (I use a phone for this since I opted out of the Qualcomm; you call a number and a female robot voice guides you through).

Since so many things are done over Internet, I got myself a Canadian USB modem stick from Bell. It uses HSPA, the new generation of GSM and the connection is pretty fast. In US I use Verizon (same kind of USB modem/stick). So now I can use my laptop anywhere in USA and Canada. I also got a cheap printer so that I can print out information sent to me by email. I might need to get an e-fax number later on too...

Also bought a new Rand MacNally GPS (truck specific) and so far I'm pleased with the device. On top of everything else it keeps track of your miles and breaks them down by state and province. Neat. Also helpful is the feature where it will warn you if you exceed the speed limit by the set number of miles ("5" is default). It's not exactly cheap but you can't beat the hi-res 7" display.

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 09-06-2010, 02:09 PM

Good luck with your new adventure, I wish you success!

Travel safe!

-scott
Old 09-06-2010, 04:47 PM
Senior Board Member

How did you end up getting fuel? or was $19.73 enough.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:17 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmon View Post
How did you end up getting fuel? or was $19.73 enough.
Called the office and they said there was another 300 available for advance. They loaded it up on my Comdata, so I used that and then did a cash purchase with my Canadian debit card. So far so good. It's a good thing they pay weekly. My first payday is just round the corner. Now I"ll know to leave fuel money on the Comdata card

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 09-07-2010, 01:29 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer View Post
Also bought a new Rand MacNally GPS (truck specific) and so far I'm pleased with the device. On top of everything else it keeps track of your miles and breaks them down by state and province. Neat. Also helpful is the feature where it will warn you if you exceed the speed limit by the set number of miles ("5" is default). It's not exactly cheap but you can't beat the hi-res 7" display.
I just got the 5in one. I love it. It is well worth the money for me. I set my over the limit to 10. I really like how it keeps track of your miles in each state.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 09-07-2010, 02:23 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

How does that work with the miles? Do you put your odometer reading in and then it keeps track or does it only do the miles for each state? I know a major carrier that was audited about a year ago and they got a fine for not having the odometer mileage written down. Some of their owner operators only put the miles rather than an odometer reading. It is a nice feature if it will be acceptable in case of an audit.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:33 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
How does that work with the miles? Do you put your odometer reading in and then it keeps track or does it only do the miles for each state? I know a major carrier that was audited about a year ago and they got a fine for not having the odometer mileage written down. Some of their owner operators only put the miles rather than an odometer reading. It is a nice feature if it will be acceptable in case of an audit.
It does not keep truck of your odometer. Just the miles in the states you drove threw. So its like this

PA 458 miles
NJ 365
DE 45
etc.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 09-08-2010, 03:51 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
It doesn't show odometer, it just breaks the miles traveled by State or Province. But I just checked my mileage report form that I have to send tomorrow to Landstar, and it's the same thing: it only asks me to fill out total miles for each state, and what highways I used.

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 09-12-2010, 04:42 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Really??? The last 3 companies I worked for did not require mileage of the truck. That would be Schneider. Landstar and Quality Carriers...... I think you might have heard a story there GMAN, I know your always on top of your game tho.