User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2010, 04:25 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

You may need to go somewhere else in order to get back to where you want to go. For instance, you may want to start in Houston, TX. You get a load going to Cleveland, OH. There isn't anything going back to Houston, so you get a load to New Orleans, LA. From there you get a load to La Porte, TX. That is just outside of Houston. You may not always be able to get a reload right back to where you came from or want to go. Occasionally, you might find something that is dedicated or semi-dedicated that will get you back to your starting point. Most load boards have starting and "desired destinations." I usually put about 150 mile radius on both ends. That is normally a decent radius. Sometimes you can get lucky and get exactly what you want. When you are in a down economy it can be more difficult to get the exact routing you want. It may also necessitate that you stay out longer to earn a decent living or to get back to your starting point.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Super 8,

I know what you are saying, are you looking for a starting point? Meaning, you want to know before you go to Place A, that there is freight coming out of there going back to Place A, right? If so, wouldn't you just put in the destination city first?
I'm unsure of whether it's a good idea to take on another load before I've unloaded the first one, given the possibility of an unexpected delay. I don't know how other people do things, but I never used to call my dispatcher until I was unloaded and ready to go.

The reload doesn't necessarily have to get me back home. It just needs to take me past home. For example, My first load could take me to Michigan. Then I could grab something bound for Wisconsin. On my way there I go practically right past my home.

When I was a company driver, it seemed like they were always getting me more or less back into my area with my reloads. As an Owner Op, I won't have a dispatcher to rely upon to set this stuff up. I'll have to know how to do it myself.

I'm not as concerned about where I'm going as I am about knowing I can get back. I'm trying to keep this a local as possible. I don't mind being gone a night or two, but being gone all the time is not going to work for my situation. I figure between Chicago, Detroit and Milwaukee, there has got to be enough freight running that I can keep busy and get past home. I'm just uncertain of how to do this using the load boards when you can't punch in a starting and destination radius and see all the freight going to and from those points.

Obviously it's an inexperience issue on my part. I'm sure there's a simple way to work this out that I am not aware of.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:14 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You can punch in a starting and ending destination with a radius search on most loadboards.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:08 PM

Hey Gman,

My other thread got closed, I presume because it was in the wrong area, didn't want to make another thread,

Two quick questions on your previous posts there,

A.) Is there a rate that you won't go below, or does that just depend on the circumstances (what the run is, who it's for, where it's going, equipment needed, etc?)

B.) When you had your dispatch company, did you handle all the billing etc, I would think that would be apart of all the paperwork and service provided etc.

Thanks,

Sam
Old 08-30-2010, 01:12 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Hey Gman,

My other thread got closed, I presume because it was in the wrong area, didn't want to make another thread,

Two quick questions on your previous posts there,

A.) Is there a rate that you won't go below, or does that just depend on the circumstances (what the run is, who it's for, where it's going, equipment needed, etc?)

B.) When you had your dispatch company, did you handle all the billing etc, I would think that would be apart of all the paperwork and service provided etc.

Thanks,

Sam

I don't know what happened with the other thread. I do have a minimum rate that I will take a load. The minimum rate will vary according to where I will be going, what I am hauling and the availability of freight out of the area where I will deliver. I know it sounds vague, but that is the way that I do it. I have a minimum rate for over sized freight which is higher than if the load is legal. I know some people who only have one minimum rate that they won't haul below. Even when times have been so bad the last couple of years, I refused to haul a load for less than my cost of doing business and a profit. In fact, I parked my trucks at one point due to the cheap rates. If I can't make a profit hauling freight I would rather go broke sitting at home than hauling for free. There are those who will put anything on their truck just to keep moving whether that load is profitable or not.

When I was dispatching sometimes I handled the billing and sometimes the carrier did their own. I always received and read over the contract with the broker or shipper, checked credit and handled all contact until the load was booked. I usually followed up when the load was delivered to let the broker or shipper know that the load had been successfully delivered. Basically, all the owner operator or carrier had to do was pick up and deliver the load, then deposit his check when it came in.

Last edited by GMAN; 08-30-2010 at 01:18 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:09 PM
Board Regular

ITS is the one that i use and guide myself to have any idea what rates are going on.I only use brokers that i know. If there is lots of loads out of one area, i know my strength of negotiating a superb rate.Thats how my best loads this year came,when in a matter of minutes of posting my truck i had over 10 voice mails from brokers desperate to find a truck.Rates from ranged from the low $2.50 a mile to $3.50 a mile.Really cant complain about that.When i post my truck and i get seldom calls then i know i have to call them and basically be at their mercy.Thats especially available from the east coast back to the west coast,since the freight base on the east coast isn't very strong like the other way around.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b00m View Post
ITS is the one that i use and guide myself to have any idea what rates are going on.I only use brokers that i know. If there is lots of loads out of one area, i know my strength of negotiating a superb rate.Thats how my best loads this year came,when in a matter of minutes of posting my truck i had over 10 voice mails from brokers desperate to find a truck.Rates from ranged from the low $2.50 a mile to $3.50 a mile.Really cant complain about that.When i post my truck and i get seldom calls then i know i have to call them and basically be at their mercy.Thats especially available from the east coast back to the west coast,since the freight base on the east coast isn't very strong like the other way around.
Boom,

Have you ever used a dispatch service, or thought about using one?

Just trying to get different opinions on it, to see if it is viable to start one, not looking to get rich or screw anyone out of it, just looking for something I can do that will keep me interested and closer to home and family.

What would you consider a fair "rate" for dispatch, I am with GMan and believe that a percentage is the only fair way, I feel that if I can't do anything for you, you shouldn't have to pay etc,

Also, what would it take for you, in general, to go with a "new" broker etc?\

Thanks,
Sam
Old 09-01-2010, 11:27 AM

Hey Gman,

Another question,

I have been reading a ton of threads on this forum, and I see guys mentioning that they are O/O's and that they lease to a company, I am assuming that means they move freight for that company, but does that mean they are allowed to move other freight as well, or is that on a contract per contract basis, meaning it would be written into a contract?

Thanks,

Sam
Old 09-01-2010, 01:32 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Sam, most owner operators only haul freight for the company to whom they are leased. Having said that, most carriers will haul some brokered freight. If you are an owner operator who is leased to a carrier then you must run all of your loads through your carrier. Some may allow you to find a load on your own if they don't have anything, but you will still need to run the load through your carrier. Other carriers may only allow you to haul what they have to offer. They assign a driver manager or dispatcher to find loads for you. If they don't have anything then you will sit until they do. Their policy on hauling outside loads should be addressed in their contract. Some carriers will give the owner operator a higher percentage of the rate if you find the load yourself. Others may only give you the standard percentage or rate. Each carrier makes their own policy. When you lease to a carrier you need to make sure to read your contract very carefully. If there are things in the contract which you don't agree then have them change it or walk away.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:41 AM
Board Regular

Well,

To tell you the truth is that im really not looking for somebody else to get another cut/percentage of what comes out to me.This business is all about cost and it really doesn't excite me having an extra one.
For me the way i work is pretty simple.i post my truck on the load board with the different brokers or do a search of what i need to take me to a certain place.Most often i do this from my smartphone.Everything is done over email with brokers and i can even get faxes from them with the confirmation rates.I think anyone that has a little bit willingness can do it with no problem.On a fair rate,it really depends on day to day market activity.This is referring to reefer rates that vary from hour to hour.On the new brokers question,i just dont want to take a chance with somebody that has a problem paying his carriers.This kind of stuff happens constantly and simply cant afford it.