User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2010, 04:14 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I love shippers. They expect you to do it for $1.50 a mile because Joe Blow off Get Loaded.com quoted that rate for one truckload so you should be able to get a back haul and match it.

In the next breath they want you back in their yard asap for another shipment out. How are you supposed to PU and Del that backhaul? They can't have it both ways. They either want dedicated trucks at their disposal or they want cheap rates.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:31 AM
Senior Board Member

What you descibe isn't practical for one truck. Two trucks alternating with the same rate on the return is barely there.
Unless a shipper is requesting the same driver on each load there is no reason for them to pay a premium for your lack of truck availability. If you can't do it by yourself get more trucks.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:31 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rank View Post
I love shippers. They expect you to do it for $1.50 a mile because Joe Blow off Get Loaded.com quoted that rate for one truckload so you should be able to get a back haul and match it.

In the next breath they want you back in their yard asap for another shipment out. How are you supposed to PU and Del that backhaul? They can't have it both ways. They either want dedicated trucks at their disposal or they want cheap rates.
i could not agree more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1 View Post
What you descibe isn't practical for one truck. Two trucks alternating with the same rate on the return is barely there.
Unless a shipper is requesting the same driver on each load there is no reason for them to pay a premium for your lack of truck availability. If you can't do it by yourself get more trucks.
if its not practical.. then its not. i'm doing my research before i jump in.

well on to plan b... if i can figure what plan b is..
Old 06-24-2010, 12:28 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

No need to give up just yet. You need to know how many loads they have each week, how many trucks they are currently using and what they are paying their present carriers. You then need to decide whether it is something that will work for you. I doubt that they would be willing to pay a full rate for the deadhead back, but you never know. It never hurts to ask. I would offer a bit of caution about one thing. You NEVER want to put all of your eggs in one basket. If you do work something out with this shipper and buy a truck you need to be prepared if something happens to the shipper. Either the shipper cuts back on loads or another carrier or broker comes in and offers to handle all the loads and cut you out. You always need to prepare for the worst scenario.

If it were me I would try to work something out on both ends or do something like the triangle as I suggested previously. If you rely totally on a single account and something happens you are out of business unless you have something to replace it. It may not be so easy to replace a shipper in south Florida. In any case, keep us posted. Good luck.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:53 AM
Senior Board Member

gman. your a wise man with great advice!

i was thinking the same thing about both ways. i know they do take in a lot of supplies. it would be great if i can do a drop and hook type thing. pick up the load, unload pick up some supplies for them and leave it at their place but they only have 2 bays. i will look in to it though. the triangle thing is something i did not think about. would be a bit rough being they're away from 595. but its def. something to think about. i have to watch my hours. there are scales poping up all over here in south florida! i'm feeling a bit under the weather so i'll make a call some time next week. again.. thank you for the advice!
Old 06-25-2010, 01:00 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

That is very kind of you to say, firebird. Any knowledge that I have gained has come from many years of experience. Sometimes you need to think outside the box. You need to be prepared to make adjustments in your business plan as economic or market conditions dictate. I would always try to have a contingency plan. It is better to prepare for the worst and be disappointed than prepare for the best and be wrong.

I know what you mean about the scales in Florida. They have fuel checks and scales all over the place. Someone mentioned to me that they recently reopened an old scale south of I-10 that had been closed for some time. I think it has something to do with the produce haulers. They tend to know the back roads and ways around the scales. I took a back road from Georgia to Florida a few months ago. There wasn't a scale noted on my Rand McNally and all of a sudden there it was, right in front of me. In reality, it was actually a fuel check, but I thought it was a new scale. From where I was in Georgia it was better to go that road than the interstate to get to my destination. I didn't expect to see that check point out in the middle of nowhere on a 2 lane road. It works both sides of the road. I think they only check your IFTA stickers, but these days who knows?! It would not be a big deal to add a scale. I can't imagine them having that much truck traffic along that road.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:22 PM
Senior Board Member

my family has been in the business going on well.. 3 generations. but my dad leases out. he does real well all fuel and tolls paid for. we're just now wanting to get our own accounts due to people coming in willing to work for almost nothing.

gman, i do not run up to i10. i know on 95 though the new one around mm 94ish on the north bound side has been midevil. they are building another southbound but i'm starting to wonder about that.. real weird design. DOT has been all over pulling almost anything on wheels over, cops really cracking down on speeding. all i can say is thank god my trailer says US. MAIL on it.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:07 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Florida used to not bother you much. Like many other states, they are likely broke and looking for any way to raise revenue. Truckers are a good target. Most of them won't bother you much if you take care of business and don't give them a reason to check too close. I don't mind the inspections too much other than the loss of time. You can easily lose 30 minutes to an hour, even if things move smoothly.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:29 AM
Senior Board Member

well i just found out today that the place i would like to do business with is using fed ex ground.. doubt i can compete with their rates.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:30 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I don't know what FedEx ground charges, but they are not cheap when it comes to their regular rates. You might still work something out with the shipper, especially if they thought you could be a dedicated truck. If you can't work something out with the shipper direct then you might work something out with FedEx ground. There may also be other shippers whom you could haul their freight or perhaps some brokers who could keep you busy if you want to stay close to home. I think you will just need to do a little more leg work to find what you want. There is another thing you might consider doing. You might be able to haul containers back and forth from the different ports in south Florida or from the port to the shipper. Rates are likely low, but it could keep you busy. Just a thought.