Thread: Anyone ever considered a used SCHNEIDER fleet?

henboy1 is offline Board Regular

Default Anyone ever considered a used SCHNEIDER fleet?

https://www.sfitrucks.com/
    The prices are cheap on the site and also negotiable but the orange,264 ratio and the DDEC 445HP is a discouraging.

Maniac is offline Senior Board Member

If they are like most large fleets, they are only maintained to the minimum by that I mean only fixing what is absolutly needed, and nothing more

An example, while I was in Milesburg Pa Cat a few weeks back, they were putting 1 piston and liner in a Smith Transport Freightliner, when I asked the tech, he said thats all Smith ever does, and same with other big fleets.

Bad trans.........replace only the one bad gear or bearing,........see what I'm getting at?

Just patch it till it has the mileage and then send it down the road with someone else.

I would stay away, unless you were only using it locally.

Looks like some of them are lease purchase turn ins or repos, RUN RUN RUN

Quote Originally Posted by Maniac View Post
    If they are like most large fleets, they are only maintained to the minimum by that I mean only fixing what is absolutly needed, and nothing more

An example, while I was in Milesburg Pa Cat a few weeks back, they were putting 1 piston and liner in a Smith Transport Freightliner, when I asked the tech, he said thats all Smith ever does, and same with other big fleets.

Bad trans.........replace only the one bad gear or bearing,........see what I'm getting at?

Just patch it till it has the mileage and then send it down the road with someone else.

I would stay away, unless you were only using it locally.

Looks like some of them are lease purchase turn ins or repos, RUN RUN RUN

You would think a fleet maintained Schneider truck would be the best but I guess not.The rep said "as is"and there is no warranty as I suspected.Contrary to this, a landstar female BCO purchased a 2004.It was listed at $12000 and through bargaining she got it for $9000.She didn't even know if it was a Pre egr engine when I asked her.She said her truck was running fine but I feel 445hp is not enough.Your experience is well taken.

allan5oh is offline Senior Board Member

That year and HP rating will be an EGR engine.

They're good trucks MPG wise, 2.64's are great for that. But the trick would be getting a non-EGR engine. Maverick and wal-mart trucks are also similar.

GMAN is offline Administrator Board Icon

If you want to find out how Schneider does with maintenance you may want to check with some of their current drivers. They should be able to provide some insight as to how they take care of their trucks. Some fleets do a better job than others.

Orangetxguy is offline Senior Board Member

I think you would actually be safe with most Schnieder, JBHunt and Maverick equipment. Of course....the operational condition of every used truck is 80% dependant, on the manner in which drivers treat the equipment.

I think Schnieder and JB do a better "over-all" job on maintaining the trucks than Ryder or Penske. They are all....Fleet trucks.

Cheap.
    Space...............Is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence! :thumbsup: Star Trek2009

allan5oh is offline Senior Board Member

Honestly out of the bunch I would think wal-mart would be the best. From what I hear you can get a pre-egr equipped one for 10-12k. This also includes a thermoking tripac. You can't beat that deal.

Orangetxguy is offline Senior Board Member

Quote Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
    Honestly out of the bunch I would think wal-mart would be the best. From what I hear you can get a pre-egr equipped one for 10-12k. This also includes a thermoking tripac. You can't beat that deal.
    Good point! And good maintenance! :thumbsup:
    Space...............Is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence! :thumbsup: Star Trek2009

Hawkjr is offline Senior Board Member

Schneider Trucks and Maintenance shouldn't even belong in the same sentence!! Some of the trucks i was in when i drive for Schneider ran well and strong, Jakes was powerful and so on, but some was just down right POS!! and these we're newer 2006 and 07... i mean you might get a steal on a nice truck if it was with the same driver for 4 to 5 years but some are just flat out POS!! Just Beware..

boneebone is offline Board Regular

The only time a Schneider truck is worth anything when it was brand new, after that it just goes downhill from there. Have you ever seen a clean Schneider truck before? Tells you alot about their maintenance.

shadowsknight is offline Member

Just west of Conroe Texas is a company called Don Van Orden truck locators. They are on SH105 just west of Lake Conroe in Montgomery, TX. They have acres and acres of used trucks like Schneider and Maveric trucks.

Don Van Orden - Truck Dealer in 77356 Montgomery, Texas - CommercialTruckTrader.com
    Their website is http://www.donvanordenequipment.com/
    and they are also in Statesville, NC and Port Canaveral, FL.

Like the others have said fleet maintanence leaves a lot to be desired but if you interested in a very cheap used truck they might be worth looking into. Atleast with them you can pick and choose your ride from hundred of trucks.
    Last edited by shadowsknight; 05-17-2010 at 05:23 AM.
    TMC Texas Dedicated Owner Operator
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/shadowsknight

You are a rumor, recognizable only as deja vu, and dismissed just as quickly. You don't exist. You were never even born. Anonymity is your name, silence is your native tongue. You are no longer part of the system. You are above the system, over it, beyond it. We are "them." We are "they." We are the Men in Black.

We either hang together or we will be hanged seperately. -Benjamin Franklin 1767

Quote Originally Posted by shadowsknight View Post
    Just west of Conroe Texas is a company called Don Van Orden truck locators. They are on SH105 just west of Lake Conroe in Montgomery, TX. They have acres and acres of used trucks like Schneider and Maveric trucks.

Don Van Orden - Truck Dealer in 77356 Montgomery, Texas - CommercialTruckTrader.com
    Their website is Don Van Orden Equipment
    and they are also in Statesville, NC and Port Canaveral, FL.

Like the others have said fleet maintanence leaves a lot to be desired but if you interested in a very cheap used truck they might be worth looking into. Atleast with them you can pick and choose your ride from hundred of trucks.
    I ended my chapter of the Schneider fleet maintained trucks.I ended up buying a my second truck,frt columbia from ebay.500HP with a lift axle and many more goodies on the dash that I don't know what they all are.I can't believ the deal I got.

Justruckin is offline Board Regular

Yes, you got a deal. Now what are you going to do with it and that lift axle? How old are you?

Mike

15. This ad will disappear if you login