Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Anyone ever considered a used SCHNEIDER fleet?

  1. #1
    henboy1 is offline Board Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    324

    Default Anyone ever considered a used SCHNEIDER fleet?

    https://www.sfitrucks.com/
    The prices are cheap on the site and also negotiable but the orange,264 ratio and the DDEC 445HP is a discouraging.

  2.  
  3. #2
    Maniac's Avatar
    Maniac is offline Senior Board Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    1,059

    Default

    If they are like most large fleets, they are only maintained to the minimum by that I mean only fixing what is absolutly needed, and nothing more

    An example, while I was in Milesburg Pa Cat a few weeks back, they were putting 1 piston and liner in a Smith Transport Freightliner, when I asked the tech, he said thats all Smith ever does, and same with other big fleets.

    Bad trans.........replace only the one bad gear or bearing,........see what I'm getting at?

    Just patch it till it has the mileage and then send it down the road with someone else.

    I would stay away, unless you were only using it locally.

    Looks like some of them are lease purchase turn ins or repos, RUN RUN RUN

  4. #3
    henboy1 is offline Board Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    324

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maniac View Post
    If they are like most large fleets, they are only maintained to the minimum by that I mean only fixing what is absolutly needed, and nothing more

    An example, while I was in Milesburg Pa Cat a few weeks back, they were putting 1 piston and liner in a Smith Transport Freightliner, when I asked the tech, he said thats all Smith ever does, and same with other big fleets.

    Bad trans.........replace only the one bad gear or bearing,........see what I'm getting at?

    Just patch it till it has the mileage and then send it down the road with someone else.

    I would stay away, unless you were only using it locally.

    Looks like some of them are lease purchase turn ins or repos, RUN RUN RUN

    You would think a fleet maintained Schneider truck would be the best but I guess not.The rep said "as is"and there is no warranty as I suspected.Contrary to this, a landstar female BCO purchased a 2004.It was listed at $12000 and through bargaining she got it for $9000.She didn't even know if it was a Pre egr engine when I asked her.She said her truck was running fine but I feel 445hp is not enough.Your experience is well taken.

  5. #4
    allan5oh is offline Senior Board Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    jackassville (winnipeg, mb)
    Posts
    3,298

    Default

    That year and HP rating will be an EGR engine.

    They're good trucks MPG wise, 2.64's are great for that. But the trick would be getting a non-EGR engine. Maverick and wal-mart trucks are also similar.

  6. #5
    GMAN's Avatar
    GMAN is offline Administrator Board Icon
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    16,298

    Default

    If you want to find out how Schneider does with maintenance you may want to check with some of their current drivers. They should be able to provide some insight as to how they take care of their trucks. Some fleets do a better job than others.

  7. #6
    Orangetxguy's Avatar
    Orangetxguy is offline Senior Board Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,799

    Default

    I think you would actually be safe with most Schnieder, JBHunt and Maverick equipment. Of course....the operational condition of every used truck is 80% dependant, on the manner in which drivers treat the equipment.

    I think Schnieder and JB do a better "over-all" job on maintaining the trucks than Ryder or Penske. They are all....Fleet trucks.



    Cheap.
    Space...............Is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence! :thumbsup: Star Trek2009

  8. #7
    allan5oh is offline Senior Board Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    jackassville (winnipeg, mb)
    Posts
    3,298

    Default

    Honestly out of the bunch I would think wal-mart would be the best. From what I hear you can get a pre-egr equipped one for 10-12k. This also includes a thermoking tripac. You can't beat that deal.

  9. #8
    Orangetxguy's Avatar
    Orangetxguy is offline Senior Board Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,799

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
    Honestly out of the bunch I would think wal-mart would be the best. From what I hear you can get a pre-egr equipped one for 10-12k. This also includes a thermoking tripac. You can't beat that deal.
    Good point! And good maintenance! :thumbsup:
    Space...............Is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence! :thumbsup: Star Trek2009

  10. #9
    Hawkjr's Avatar
    Hawkjr is offline Senior Board Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    In The Granny Lane Doing 60!!
    Posts
    652

    Default

    Schneider Trucks and Maintenance shouldn't even belong in the same sentence!! Some of the trucks i was in when i drive for Schneider ran well and strong, Jakes was powerful and so on, but some was just down right POS!! and these we're newer 2006 and 07... i mean you might get a steal on a nice truck if it was with the same driver for 4 to 5 years but some are just flat out POS!! Just Beware..

  11. #10
    boneebone is offline Board Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Somewhere in this World
    Posts
    335

    Default

    The only time a Schneider truck is worth anything when it was brand new, after that it just goes downhill from there. Have you ever seen a clean Schneider truck before? Tells you alot about their maintenance.

  12. #11
    shadowsknight is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    163

    Default

    Just west of Conroe Texas is a company called Don Van Orden truck locators. They are on SH105 just west of Lake Conroe in Montgomery, TX. They have acres and acres of used trucks like Schneider and Maveric trucks.

    Don Van Orden - Truck Dealer in 77356 Montgomery, Texas - CommercialTruckTrader.com
    Their website is http://www.donvanordenequipment.com/
    and they are also in Statesville, NC and Port Canaveral, FL.

    Like the others have said fleet maintanence leaves a lot to be desired but if you interested in a very cheap used truck they might be worth looking into. Atleast with them you can pick and choose your ride from hundred of trucks.
    Last edited by shadowsknight; 05-17-2010 at 05:23 AM.
    TMC Texas Dedicated Owner Operator
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/shadowsknight

    You are a rumor, recognizable only as deja vu, and dismissed just as quickly. You don't exist. You were never even born. Anonymity is your name, silence is your native tongue. You are no longer part of the system. You are above the system, over it, beyond it. We are "them." We are "they." We are the Men in Black.

    We either hang together or we will be hanged seperately. -Benjamin Franklin 1767

  13. #12
    henboy1 is offline Board Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    324

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shadowsknight View Post
    Just west of Conroe Texas is a company called Don Van Orden truck locators. They are on SH105 just west of Lake Conroe in Montgomery, TX. They have acres and acres of used trucks like Schneider and Maveric trucks.

    Don Van Orden - Truck Dealer in 77356 Montgomery, Texas - CommercialTruckTrader.com
    Their website is Don Van Orden Equipment
    and they are also in Statesville, NC and Port Canaveral, FL.

    Like the others have said fleet maintanence leaves a lot to be desired but if you interested in a very cheap used truck they might be worth looking into. Atleast with them you can pick and choose your ride from hundred of trucks.
    I ended my chapter of the Schneider fleet maintained trucks.I ended up buying a my second truck,frt columbia from ebay.500HP with a lift axle and many more goodies on the dash that I don't know what they all are.I can't believ the deal I got.

  14. #13
    Justruckin is offline Board Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    462

    Default

    Yes, you got a deal. Now what are you going to do with it and that lift axle? How old are you?

    Mike

  15. This ad will disappear if you login

 




Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1