User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2009, 07:26 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjon619 View Post
This why this board is so good.......no BS about how I got a ticket and will never run there again. Just the facts.
Hell of a facts! Lincoln tunnel 13' 6"!!! Since when? As far, as I'm concern, it's 13' even. I wouldn't recommend that route anyway. Also, i don't know, if author is aware, that you gonna be completely illegal, with that size in any of the 5 boroughs, and they might enforce it in Manhattan. Fines could ring $1000's.

The only way you could get there, more or less with the chance, it's thru GW. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with details, since i prefer not to risk it over there, and only run the rest of the city.
I believe it's one of the first exits, once over the bridge...177st...or Amsterdam...not sure. Good luck, you are gonna need it!
Old 07-22-2009, 07:30 PM
Board Regular

Call the receiver and ask them for the most practical route to their address. Since,they have shipped stuff over to them i'm pretty sure they can have some directions.Then compare them ,or plug them in as waypoints in your gps.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo379 View Post
Hell of a facts! Lincoln tunnel 13' 6"!!! Since when? As far, as I'm concern, it's 13' even. I wouldn't recommend that route anyway. Also, i don't know, if author is aware, that you gonna be completely illegal, with that size in any of the 5 boroughs, and they might enforce it in Manhattan. Fines could ring $1000's.

The only way you could get there, more or less with the chance, it's thru GW. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with details, since i prefer not to risk it over there, and only run the rest of the city.
I believe it's one of the first exits, once over the bridge...177st...or Amsterdam...not sure. Good luck, you are gonna need it!
Looks like you are correct. i need to go back to the drawing board.

http://www.panynj.gov/CommutingTrave...s_guide_08.pdf

Thanks for your help!!!

-scott
Old 07-22-2009, 10:53 PM
Senior Board Member

Like Solo said, I usually run over the GW Bridge, then take the first exit, which may actually be 178th if I remember, not 177th, but it is one of the two. Stay left, go straight, then you'll start going down the ramp to Broadway. Turn from the 2nd lane...TRUST ME on that one! Take the right VERY wide to miss the pole on the corner, and beare of cars coming up on the right. Let the cabbies honk...they're good at it.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:28 PM
Default NYC truck driving map

Here's another tip.

New York City has gone to great lengths to produce clear truck route maps and make them readily available and free. You can get downloadable versions on their site as well as TONS of other information specific to truck drivers here: NYCDOT - NYC Truck Routes

Also, they will mail you FOR FREE up to 25 copies of the map. It is very easy to see which roads you can use throughout the Boroughs. So if you are ever going to deliver in "the city" I would recommend filling out the very easy form here: NYCDOT - Request a Truck Route Map and getting yours.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:01 AM
Rookie

Hey SKrissel,

Sorry about the bad info about height and length in the lincoln tunnel. My experience with the city was pulling a 6500 gallon black oil tanker many years ago. Those restrictions didn't apply to that type of truck. Back then the toll for a 5 axle truck was $7.50, it's now $30 during peak hours.

The GW Bridge is always the safest route. I was just trying to save you some time by going through the tunnel since your delivery is in midtown. Again sorry for the bad info.

Baldy

The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey - Tunnels
Old 07-23-2009, 03:05 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselBoss View Post
Here's another tip.

New York City has gone to great lengths to produce clear truck route maps and make them readily available and free. You can get downloadable versions on their site as well as TONS of other information specific to truck drivers here: NYCDOT - NYC Truck Routes

Also, they will mail you FOR FREE up to 25 copies of the map. It is very easy to see which roads you can use throughout the Boroughs. So if you are ever going to deliver in "the city" I would recommend filling out the very easy form here: NYCDOT - Request a Truck Route Map and getting yours.
Great info to add to my collection of bookmarks - THANKS!

Looking at some of these maps - NO F'IN WONDER nobody wants to go to NYC. Looking at some of the neighborhoods I grew up in as a kid, I'd never imagine it would be so difficult to get a full height rig through some of the (what I would have considered) main thoroughfares.

Rick
Old 07-24-2009, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldy View Post
Hey SKrissel,

Sorry about the bad info about height and length in the lincoln tunnel. My experience with the city was pulling a 6500 gallon black oil tanker many years ago. Those restrictions didn't apply to that type of truck. Back then the toll for a 5 axle truck was $7.50, it's now $30 during peak hours.

The GW Bridge is always the safest route. I was just trying to save you some time by going through the tunnel since your delivery is in midtown. Again sorry for the bad info.

Baldy

The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey - Tunnels

No problem , I understand.

It looks like I will have to go across the GWB, my options then are to go down the henry hudson (which is not legal, but many say they do it....) or go up to broadway and head south.

Does anyone have any comments based on that plan? Will I be able to turn on to Broadway from the GWB? Will I be able to turn onto Broadway?

They are going to close off Broadway between 45 and 46th for me to unload.

Thanks for all your help, I appreciate it!

-scott
Old 07-24-2009, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditsCousin View Post
Like Solo said, I usually run over the GW Bridge, then take the first exit, which may actually be 178th if I remember, not 177th, but it is one of the two. Stay left, go straight, then you'll start going down the ramp to Broadway. Turn from the 2nd lane...TRUST ME on that one! Take the right VERY wide to miss the pole on the corner, and beare of cars coming up on the right. Let the cabbies honk...they're good at it.
Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. Sounds like that will be my best option. They are going to close broadway for me between 45th adn 46th, so it should be a straight shot.

What do you reccomend for getting out?

THANKS, I really Appreciate it.

-scott
Old 07-24-2009, 04:56 AM
Senior Board Member

Yet I still don't see where you can and cannot go with a 53 trailer/sleeper truck combination. Nothing on the maps say, they just say where commercial vehicles can go. So where is this law that you can't have something that size in NYC?