User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2009, 05:22 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default question on base plate and getting own authority

Hey guys i'm buying a used truck to start out with and will be leaseing on with a company in pa and im in ny .In 3 or 4 months i plan on getting my own authority when i'll have money to buy a refer unit.The company i want to sign on with for the time being will pay my base plate and i pay physical and bobtail insurance under them.They will report and pay fuul tax.If i am base plated by the pa company can i still go and apply for my own authority? They are telling me its a pain in the neck to get base plate out of ny.Im planning on being ready to work by end of next week.Its seems everyone i talk to gives me a differant answer on what to do.Thanks for your help.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:18 PM
Senior Board Member

I would wait until you are ready to make the move. Then get your own IRP plate for the state your business is located. I have no issues with NY other then some Insurance companies not giving insurance.

Unless you plan on doing loads outside the company you lease to, it may not be worth getting your authority.

The answer to your question is no. It is their authority and plate, you need your own liability insurance & plate to apply for your own authority.

The added expense of insurance for own authority is one of the bigger expenses, along with fuel and truck payment. By being leased onto a company you are saving about $1000 a month in insurnance and can save on not paying fuel taxes and registration fees.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:20 PM

By being leased onto a company you are saving about $1000 a month in insurnance and can save on not paying fuel taxes and registration fees.

When I was leased my insurance was 250.00 a month for both the truck and trailer. With my own authority it is 800.00 a month. Who would want to pay over a 1000 a month for insurance?
Old 02-03-2009, 11:07 PM
Senior Board Member

My insurance for Liability, and physical, on both truck and trailer are $740 a month under own authority. When I was leased it was about $400, but I did not pay registration, about $120 a month. So I did inflate those numbers a bit. Just giving a general figure. But like I said, if no work outside the company you are leased to is being done, it doesn't make sense to pay extra for own authority.

After being leased to a company and then having own authority, I would never not have my authority. My preference. I don't like the control thing a company has when leased on.

So, it's about a $500 difference, and a whole lot of your time doing lots of paperwork.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:17 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

It doesn't make any difference where you tag your truck when you apply for authority. In fact, the government doesn't care how many or few trucks you may have in your company. Most insurance companies will ask for information on those vehicles that will operate under your authority. If you apply for authority you should have a telephone listed in the name of your company, but I don't think that is necessary. If you plan on running your own base plate under your authority then you will be required to have a listed telephone number in the name of the business and prove residency in the state in order to get your base plate. You will also need to show proof that you have paid your 2290. If you lease to a carrier and still want to run your base plate then you will need to show a copy of your lease to your state as well as prove residency. Running your own authority isn't all that difficult. There is a little more paperwork. The major obstacle is financing your business until the money starts coming in. Getting loads can also be a challenge these days, at least something that pays enough to haul it.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:01 PM
Rookie

Thanks guys The reason i was asking is that im leaseing on with someone i know for now.In a couple of months im leaveing there when i get money for my trailer.I already have somthing set up dedicated coming back to northeast every week.They require i have my own authority.I just wanted to be sure i could get my authority while i running under sombody elses base plate.The permit guy i going to be using finally just called me back and said i can do that.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:45 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You don't need to pay someone to get your authority. You can do it online. Just fill in the blanks and answer the questions, pay them $300 and you are in business as soon as they receive your insurance information.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:15 PM
Rookie

Thank you for everyones help i do appricate it.I'm going to be picking up my own truck in a few days and going to work.Ill let you guys know how i make out.