User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2010, 12:17 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default better horsepower and fuel mpg

Alrite guys, what are the items that i can buy and squek on my 2003, 9200i international? I am interested in Items that do work.. I got good trend on my tires and the alginment is right. Got a Cummins N14 engine in it with a million miles.. Just turned. I called the Epa for info on a Grant for an apu or battery powered apu. (have to do a follow up)... Please let me know what ya'll have done that works for u, so that i may get some ideas. :bow:
Old 08-29-2010, 03:41 AM
Senior Board Member

i myself would not get a battery powered apu... why...? only about 10hr run time before you MUST run the truck 4-6hr's to recharge, for a 34 hr restart you will need to run the truck for 12-18 hr's. your fuel mileage will be less because more engine power is needed to recharge the batteries and it puts more of a strain on the alternater having to put out more power to recharge the batteries and the batteries will only last about two years before you will need to replace them and the battery powered apu is 503 lbs...! that's 73 lbs more than the diesel apu.

using tripac's return on investment calculator, for the way WE run it will only take 74.6 months before the apu would pay for it's self...!

just me
Old 08-29-2010, 04:02 AM
Board Regular

A turbolater 3000 vada of course! And a tornado intake insert. And some magic fuel line magnets to ionize the molecules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

Last edited by YerDaddy; 08-29-2010 at 04:03 AM. Reason: Added an extry exclamation point!
Old 08-29-2010, 01:11 PM

Synthetic 5W-40 motor oil will give you a few percentage MPG increase. It is WAY cheaper to use than legacy (petroleum) oil, because you can periodically do oil analysis, and find you can keep running the oil for many, many miles w/o an oil change. You only need to do filter changes every 30,000 miles or so along the way, and top off oil after a filter change. The farthest I have gone in my '01 Volvo w/ Volvo engine on a crankcase of oil was 150,000 miles. I saved a BUNCH of money and time.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:34 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckinMavrick View Post
Alrite guys, what are the items that i can buy and squek on my 2003, 9200i international? I am interested in Items that do work.. I got good trend on my tires and the alginment is right. Got a Cummins N14 engine in it with a million miles.. Just turned. I called the Epa for info on a Grant for an apu or battery powered apu. (have to do a follow up)... Please let me know what ya'll have done that works for u, so that i may get some ideas. :bow:

Those grants are usually through your home state. I received something from mine several months ago. Basically, you pay half and the state pays half of the cost. In my situation I would need to pay about $4,000 per truck for my part in order for the state to match my investment. You may also check with OODIA. They have information on grants. The information that I received was for an apu. I don't know if they would match on anything else.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:09 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aufgeblassen View Post
Synthetic 5W-40 motor oil will give you a few percentage MPG increase. It is WAY cheaper to use than legacy (petroleum) oil, because you can periodically do oil analysis, and find you can keep running the oil for many, many miles w/o an oil change. You only need to do filter changes every 30,000 miles or so along the way, and top off oil after a filter change. The farthest I have gone in my '01 Volvo w/ Volvo engine on a crankcase of oil was 150,000 miles. I saved a BUNCH of money and time.
While synthetic oil is great in most cases, it may not be in your application with an older engine with so many miles on it. To determine if it will be cost effective, how much make up oil do you have to use and at what interval. Most healthy engines will use about a gallon at the 10K to 15K mark. If your's is burning more oil than this I would think hard about switching to synthetic. 5W oil is thinner than 15W oil and will slip by the rings and cause you to burn more.

You can try to blend your oil to test your oil consumption. One method is when you do an oil change use your current oil. Add synthetic as your makeup oil.

It is a good idea to use a bypass oil filter. It will keep your oil clean, change it when your samples indicate it needs to be changed. Extended oil change intervals because you oil bypass system is keeping your oil clean is what makes using synthetic oil economically feasible. Even if your engine burns too much oil for you to use synthetic it is still a good idea to use a bypass oil filter.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:17 PM
Senior Board Member

Two of the first aftermarket products I would put on your truck is a good free flow air filter. Check out the Fleet Air Filter. It is a lifetime air filter that is washable. They are coming out with their second generation shortly, if it isn't already out. The 2nd gen has redesigned your filter to fit the air filter housing to allow even more air flow.

Second would be a free flow muffler. It will reduce your backpressure.

Both of these products allows your engine to breath easier. Return on investment for both is only a few months. Your fuel mileage is usually increased by 3 to 5 tenths.

What make and model of tires are you using?
Old 09-22-2010, 04:26 AM
Rookie

try upgrading your ecm , ive heard that jball electronics can increase your hp and torque thru your ecm .........which in turn gives u better fuel mileage
go to jballelectronics.com