User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2008, 05:37 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default lease agreement

Good afternoon to all,

I was wondering if anyone, every had to write a lease agreement up with a driver, that one planned to hire.

To drive ones equipment, leased on with another company. if so where is the best place to download forms or contract. The recruiting dept wanted me to have this in writing etc.

THX for the feed back.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:34 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

If you are talking about hiring an owner operator to run under your authority then OOIDA has one that you can use if you are a member. If you lease to a carrier then they will have their own lease agreement for the owner of the equipment to sign. If you hire a driver to drive a truck that you own and lease to a carrier, then it isn't necessary to have him sign a lease unless you plan on leasing him the equipment. You can have an agreement for drivers to sign. This is normally done for those who do a 1099 or hire drivers as independent contractors. You can also have an employment contract. I don't know if OOIDA has any of these except the lease agreement.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:17 PM
Rookie
Default lease agreement

The company I am lease with now. wants me to fax them, an agreement between myself and the driver, that I am planning on hiring. Where can one find a form to download or is this one that one makes up on ones own?
Old 07-26-2008, 01:34 AM
Senior Board Member

Like Gman said, OOIDA has one. I use it. It's basic and it works. Covers most things and you can always add anything you feel should be in there. You can also make your own like you said.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:00 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I made up an agreement that I wrote specifically for drivers that I hire. I include compensation and specific information that we must both agree on. It explains the basic relationship I have with my drivers. It can avoid a lot of confusion. One thing I put in my agreement is the equipment that I assign to them. I even list the number of chains, binders, tarps, etc., If they leave and anything is missing then they are responsible for it. Some drivers will sell your equipment. This will avoid some potential problems when you deduct any funds from their final paycheck should things come up missing. One clause that I put in my agreement concerns the paperwork. I don't pay them until I have all the paperwork. I had one driver who abandoned my truck in California and wanted to hold my paperwork hostage until I paid him. That didn't work. I pay my drivers on a certain day as long as I have the paperwork on a certain date. I will not pay any driver until I have all their paperwork for that particular load. I put that in writing and they agree to it. I have never failed to pay a driver on time as long as I have all of my equipment and paperwork. Whatever you agree to with your drivers you need to make sure and do your part. Never agree to something that you are uncertain that you can fulfill your part of the agreement.