User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2011, 06:23 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrattTrucking View Post
I hear you there. I drove under my own authority for 15 years and have been running the small fleet game for about a year and a half now. We've figured how to make these guys a damn good living but we are starving for drivers. Good drivers are the golden goose to us. Without them we fall. Ive tried ads in magazines, websites, made our own website, and at this point I'm even trying to advertise on forums without stepping on toes to get guys interested.
Its is rough getting the cream of the crop and especially when you pay peanuts.I have let 2 drivers back to back and I wouldn't care to take a greyhound or flight to go retrieve my equipment.I did that with 1 driver 5 months ago and luckily it was a 200 mile drive.I have one very good driver who has stuck with me since day one, and one female who just started 2 weeks ago.I think this new one is also a keeper.In talking to potential drivers, on a 1099, they all wanna make at least $1000/week without the benefits and so if you are not paying that and them some more, you can forget getting the quality drivers.1 more position to fill and then I am done.Craigslists are the rejects from the bigger carriers.Go to truckpaper and truckers report.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:29 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by henboy1 View Post
Its is rough getting the cream of the crop and especially when you pay peanuts.I have let 2 drivers back to back and I wouldn't care to take a greyhound or flight to go retrieve my equipment.I did that with 1 driver 5 months ago and luckily it was a 200 mile drive.I have one very good driver who has stuck with me since day one, and one female who just started 2 weeks ago.I think this new one is also a keeper.In talking to potential drivers, on a 1099, they all wanna make at least $1000/week without the benefits and so if you are not paying that and them some more, you can forget getting the quality drivers.1 more position to fill and then I am done.Craigslists are the rejects from the bigger carriers.Go to truckpaper and truckers report.
That's awful. Funny you say that, we have a driver that has been here since the doors opened that I absolutely trust. Hell hes making $4,300 gross to the truck after our cut (before fuel) a week religiously. I just cant imagine that not drawing drivers in. That's a good living in my opinion, even after maintenance on the equipment I firmly believe recruiting is the real challenge in this business. When we opened the doors I pounded the phones gathering shippers, I think I should have been pounding the phones after drivers. Too much work for not enough drivers. Good luck on the last position I completely understand the frustration.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:17 PM
Senior Board Member

Even Microsoft has trouble recruiting good people. People today are too used the easy money when real estate and stocks were going up. Now they have to work for it.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:48 PM
Rookie

Well I am fortunate to be a car crusher so half of loads are crushed cars. On that behalf I get paid immediately (no quickpay fees) with bankwire or comcheck on crushed cars which on legal loads is usually $2-$2.20/mile. With that it covers fuel, driver and insurance (on whole round trip, so load back is maintenance and profit) while I am waiting on monies from brokers/other clients. I have had own authority since April 8, 2011, and so far I have had to borrow no money and have had some good expenses come up. I am cutting close now but everything is paid. That was essentially running 1 truck only. I have 2 but one doesn't run often. I am putting #3 on road tomorrow.

As far as paperwork I don't think it is hard as long as you stay on top of it and don't let get behind. I already had my safety audit and passed with flying colors.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:52 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrattTrucking View Post
That's awful. Funny you say that, we have a driver that has been here since the doors opened that I absolutely trust. Hell hes making $4,300 gross to the truck after our cut (before fuel) a week religiously. I just cant imagine that not drawing drivers in. That's a good living in my opinion, even after maintenance on the equipment I firmly believe recruiting is the real challenge in this business. When we opened the doors I pounded the phones gathering shippers, I think I should have been pounding the phones after drivers. Too much work for not enough drivers. Good luck on the last position I completely understand the frustration.
I find it funny (not your post) that I offered 20% of TRUE GROSS and couldn't get drivers. Now I pay $0.33 cpm for all miles drove and have good drivers. Week before my driver went 3160 miles (usually run 2500 ish) and made $1,042.80 before taxes. I grossed $6,581 that week, would have have been $1,316.20 if he would have chosen the percentage method. Oh well, more money for truck.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:30 PM
Rookie

I find it funny (not your post) that I offered 20% of TRUE GROSS and couldn't get drivers. Now I pay $0.33 cpm for all miles drove and have good drivers. Week before my driver went 3160 miles (usually run 2500 ish) and made $1,042.80 before taxes. I grossed $6,581 that week, would have have been $1,316.20 if he would have chosen the percentage method. Oh well, more money for truck.

Ok so I am looking for drivers and I agree it is hard to find someone. We are offering 30% of what the truck brings in. We are running small loads round the midwest while you are driving our truck pulling our Reefer. We are taken care of the fuel, insurance, and whatever else may come. So basically you show up and drive our truck. We had a driver and something happened family wise so we need a new one. The problem is there is no one out there. While reading this above do you think we should go with .33 cpm or something along that? Ahhh I would think people would want the money??? I also found a website you can take a look at and thats Hotcdljobs.com Thanks for everyones expertise
Old 06-14-2011, 09:02 PM
Rookie

I think problem with percentage is too many companies are not honest with true gross incomes and drivers get shaft, with mileage you know exactly what you drive. At least it sounds logical. I tried for long time on percentage and failed getting drivers, now on $0.33 cpm I have them so not complaining. I will continue this pay method til otherwise proves me wrong. My drivers are same as yours. My trucks, my trailers, my fuel cards, my insurance. We pull skateboards though, not reefers.

Last edited by td5952; 06-14-2011 at 09:05 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:16 AM
Rookie

Hidden fees, dishonesty and rude ignorant dispatchers have destroyed a lot of the opportunity. I myself am a carrier, I have no trucks. I lease on O/Os under my authority. No hidden fees just straight 80% of true gross. That sales pitch sounds good but the issue is getting O/Os to believe you. All you can do is stick to your word and fight it out.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:54 AM
Senior Board Member

This business sucks.

Where else can you have your entire career yanked out from under you by the insurance companies after one accident or a couple of traffic tickets in your PERSONAL vehicle? The days of the 30 year professional are gone. And then, after several years experience you are left unemployable with skills that are non transferrable and certainly not respected by any other employer.

There is no future in trucking period. It is a suckers bet. Get out now.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:04 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rank View Post
This business sucks.

Where else can you have your entire career yanked out from under you by the insurance companies after one accident or a couple of traffic tickets in your PERSONAL vehicle? The days of the 30 year professional are gone. And then, after several years experience you are left unemployable with skills that are non transferrable and certainly not respected by any other employer.

There is no future in trucking period. It is a suckers bet. Get out now.

What happened?