User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2008, 01:11 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Volvo VN780 weight

Hey all. Just been doing my research thinking about buying a Volvo VN780. It is my favorite of the aero trucks although I do really like the peterbilt 387 as well. But as far as my comfort goes in the end, I really prefer the VN780.

And I'm aware that the empty weight varies a lot depending on features and engines and things, but I am just trying to get a general idea of what the empty weight typicly runs on the 780. Having a hard time finding places on the internet that list different weights of them so I can build a picture in my head of what to expect.

If that's too general for ya, how 'bout a 2006 VN780 500hp Cummins ISX, 13 speed manual, 230-240 inch wheel base with all alluminum wheels. Any ideas?

Thank you!
Old 04-08-2008, 01:34 AM
Senior Board Member

I have a 99 770, and it weighs around 20,500 full of fuel. From what I hear, the newer trucks are about 1000 lbs lighter. I have 120 gallon tanks, aluminum wheels, and a 350 lb deer bumper. Volvo engine and 13 speed tranny.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:04 AM
Senior Board Member

Holy Crap! :shock: I knew they were heavy, but didn't think they were that heavy.

I didn't realize you had the Volvo engine...what's your impression been? I know you're thrilled with the fuel mileage. How is it to work on? Are you happy with the reliability? How many miles do you have on it now? I'm looking hard at Volvo. I really like what I've heard about the I-shift tranny and I know they've been running their engines with a similar setup to the 2010 emissions in Europe for awhile already.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:27 AM
Rookie

Yeah I've heard they are heavy, and I'm trying to make sure I don't get myself into something that is going to seriously limit who I can lease on to because of weight requirments, or cause me problems when I buy my own trailer down the road and am having to turn down loads because I can't take the weight. But also don't want to get myself into something I'm gonna hate just to get something light. My current truck, a 1997 Peterbilt 378 day cab weighs 21,000pounds.

Yeah, one place I found on the internet said the Volvo VN780 even with a 500+ HP engine and 13 or 18 speed transmission was 18,000 which isn't too bad.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:33 AM
Senior Board Member

For comparison's sake, a Freightliner FLD day cab, single 135 gallon tank, 10 aluminum wheeler, Cat motor and 13 speed weighs in at about 16,000.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:54 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_worries
Holy Crap! :shock: I knew they were heavy, but didn't think they were that heavy.

I didn't realize you had the Volvo engine...what's your impression been?
Absolutely gutless, only 425 but feels like 350.

Quote:
I know you're thrilled with the fuel mileage.
Yes very happy, 7.8 so far this month(april)

Quote:
How is it to work on?
The Volvo engine? It's ok I suppose. Putting in a larger alternator is a bitch. Oil pressure sending unit is a bitch. Starters are a complete bitch. Other then that it's ok.

Quote:
Are you happy with the reliability?
I'll have to say yes to this one. No weird electrical problems or any of the sort. Did one engine rebuild, it actually hammered out the wrist pin bushing on one side but still ran great!

Quote:
How many miles do you have on it now?
1.52 million KM's. Probably about 600,000 km's since the rebuild

Quote:
I'm looking hard at Volvo. I really like what I've heard about the I-shift tranny and I know they've been running their engines with a similar setup to the 2010 emissions in Europe for awhile already.
Yes if I was buying a new volvo, definitely get the I-shift. I know a gent with a 2008 volvo, 485 hp volvo engine, direct drive I-shift, and 2.64 gears with super singles out back. He runs it at 60 mph and gets 7.5 consistently. I'd say that's very good for a new truck.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:08 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I'd say that's very good for a new truck.
I'd say that's an understatement :lol: Maybe I'll change sooner rather than later.

My T800 Studio with 13.2 fronts and 40 rears, 300 gallons of fuel and two people and our stuff comes in about 20,000 lbs. And that's with a big engine.