User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2007, 05:28 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default What to look for in a trailer...tell us what ya know

For those of you out there that own and have pruchased trailers, flats, van, reefers etc. What qualities do you look for when shopping for a used trailer...all of us are truckers and know how to do a pre-trip but i would think you would want to explore things a little further than that when shopping for an investment of this size. I know a new trailer that hasnt been maintained could be a nightmare of a purchase and an old used one that has been babied could be a golden find, but how do you sort through it all and figure out what you are getting with a trailer. Just curious myself and i am sure this info could be good to alot of others as well.....If you could write a shoppers guide to buying a used trailer...what would you put in it?
Old 11-18-2007, 03:18 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

There isn't much to a trailer. You want to check the suspension, frame, crossmembers for damage and cracks as well as looking at the brakes. Wheel seals should be checked for leakage. The only main things to check are the frame for cracks and suspension. In addition, you want to look at the floor, if it is wood. A van should be checked for roof damage. If I were to purchase a van, I would make sure to have one with either E-track or I-track. The logistics posts would add strength and offer some versitility. There are a few loads which require logistics posts. You also want to check the slider for warpage.

If it is a reefer you want to check the chute, flooring and most importantly, the refrigeration unit. The refrigeration unit is the most critical part of the trailer. You want to check the hours on the unit and see if it has had major work.

A flatbed should be checked for frame cracks and if it is a spread axle, special attention should be paid to the suspension. Aluminum spreads tend to crack around where the suspension connects to the frame. Crossmembers and the frame should always be checked. You are usually better off with an air ride trailer. However, starting out there is nothing wrong with a spring ride. Some shippers want to only load air ride trailers. This is mostly true with vans or reefers. It lowers damage claims with breakable freight. It is doubtful that you will lose many loads with a spring ride trailer.