User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2007, 10:35 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlj19
so maybe it should be the broker schools that are regulated ? not the brokers ?
The business is already regulated. You just want it more regulated, because you want to make it harder to become a broker. Why havent you become a broker? You were an agent for one. I'm sure you have freight/shipper connections. If you want to benefit this industry then start RLJ19 Freight Brokerage and provide high paying freight, pay 100% fuel surcharge, pay detention, use PC miles, offer advances, COD payments, and settle all invoices within 7days. Also setup your office to operate 24/7 7 days a week. Have freight in 48 states for flat, van and reefers. Always put the trucks needs before yours and only make enough profit to barely keep the bills paid.

Does this sound like something you can accomplish? If not, then you need to find another bandwagon to jump on. If you arent the solution, you must be the problem.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:02 PM
Rookie

no need to get nasty just ask a question to see how the trucking community felt.....The bandwagon would help the o/o not me ..

you guys are all the same you compline about brokers ...but find fault with thoes tring to help you

you compline about low freight ........

I will shut up now ...just stop compling about brokers and low freight on this board and others .. stop crying ....

we shut' em down in 72 but truckers had back bone then and a power voice called the TEAMSTERS.......
Old 11-18-2007, 11:09 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
no need to get nasty just ask a question to see how the trucking community felt.....The bandwagon would help the o/o not me ..

you guys are all the same you compline about brokers ...but find fault with thoes tring to help you

I will shut up now ...just stop compling about brokers and low freight on this board and others .. stop crying ....

we shut' em down in 72 but truckers had back bone then and a power voice called the TEAMSTERS.......
I'm not being NASTY, I'm offering you a challenge. I am a broker and my MC starts with 34XXXX, so I didnt start yesterday. I also run trucks and you have to wear a broker hat and a trucker hat. I would like to see a brokerage like RLJ19 Freight Brokerage. That scenario doesnt work for me...YET. I still would like for you to explain why you wont open your own brokerage. This forum may be just what YOU need to improve our industry without worrying about the LOW-LIFE SCUM that will take someone's hard earned money and disappear with it.

Again, I'm not trying to berate you, just offering you a challenge. Most of us truckers would be happy with a broker that could just be honest and hit a few of those points I mentioned. Welcome to the O/O Forum.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:13 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth
That's interesting LOAD IT. What good is the bond then?
The bond is just another part of regulation. Produce and exempt product brokers dont have to have a bond. Why? Those products were once considered too cheap to worry about, so no authority was required to handle them. Check the Regs for EXEMPT products.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:12 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:

I think we are blaming the wrong people for cheap freight. Some like to blame the brokers, and there is some validity to that complaint. However, the main reason freight rates are cheap is due to carriers and owner operators hauling cheap freight. I have had brokers and shippers both tell me there is no reason for them to pay more when carriers will haul it for a cheap rate. They have a valid point. There aren't enough owner operators who are willing to shut down to make a difference. Keep in mind that an owner operator is a businessman, not a driver. Teamsters represent drivers not business owners. There are too many poor businessmen who haul cheap freight. They would rather keep moving at a loss than wait for a load that would pay enough to make a decent profit. They would rather drive than take the time to check out a broker or shipper to see that they can get their money once a load is delivered. Sometimes it is better to take a few hours or a day to take care of business. I don't see the point in hauling a load that you don't know whether you will be paid. You cannot regulate people to be good businessmen. Companies lose money all the time on bad debt. Those who want to keep those loses to a minimum check companies out before extending credit to them. When you allow a broker to pay you in 30 days you are extending them credit. Banks and businesses who extend credit do so only after they check references. When was the last time you received a loan where they didn't ask for references and checked you out? Being a carrier and extending credit is no different. We are each responsible for our success or failure.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:50 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
Quote:

I think we are blaming the wrong people for cheap freight. Some like to blame the brokers, and there is some validity to that complaint. However, the main reason freight rates are cheap is due to carriers and owner operators hauling cheap freight. I have had brokers and shippers both tell me there is no reason for them to pay more when carriers will haul it for a cheap rate. They have a valid point. There aren't enough owner operators who are willing to shut down to make a difference. Keep in mind that an owner operator is a businessman, not a driver. Teamsters represent drivers not business owners. There are too many poor businessmen who haul cheap freight. They would rather keep moving at a loss than wait for a load that would pay enough to make a decent profit. They would rather drive than take the time to check out a broker or shipper to see that they can get their money once a load is delivered. Sometimes it is better to take a few hours or a day to take care of business. I don't see the point in hauling a load that you don't know whether you will be paid. You cannot regulate people to be good businessmen. Companies lose money all the time on bad debt. Those who want to keep those loses to a minimum check companies out before extending credit to them. When you allow a broker to pay you in 30 days you are extending them credit. Banks and businesses who extend credit do so only after they check references. When was the last time you received a loan where they didn't ask for references and checked you out? Being a carrier and extending credit is no different. We are each responsible for our success or failure.

Well said Gman. ALWAYS check out anyone who you plan to haul for. You can still book the load and than check them out before sending the broker your info and signing a rate confirmation. BTW Mike,I may owe you 2 steak dinners now. The first offer expired. :lol: Are you gonna run thru the longhorn anytime soon?
Old 11-19-2007, 03:38 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I am sorry to have missed the first steak dinner, DD60. We are debating whether to come out for Christmas. I would love to visit with the family during the holiday.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:15 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOAD IT
The shipper says that broker was your agent Mr Carrier, not mine, so we arent paying.
Bonnie aka Maxine wrote:
Quote:
IF all that checks out than go for it, sign the stuff (making sure you cross out and initial anything that says broker is acting as agent for carrier) and send it all back to them
Load it, what do you think about always writing and initialing the following on every contract and confirmation - "Broker i'sn't acting as agent for the carrier."
Old 11-19-2007, 11:54 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

If the broker is acting as an agent for the carrier, then there should be complete disclosure of all funds. In fact, if the broker is an agent then it should be up to the carrier to establish an acceptable level of compensation for the broker. In addition, if the broker is an agent for the carrier, then there should be no need to have a back solicitation clause in the agreement.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:23 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by person
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOAD IT
The shipper says that broker was your agent Mr Carrier, not mine, so we arent paying.
Bonnie aka Maxine wrote:
Quote:
IF all that checks out than go for it, sign the stuff (making sure you cross out and initial anything that says broker is acting as agent for carrier) and send it all back to them
Load it, what do you think about always writing and initialing the following on every contract and confirmation - "Broker i'sn't acting as agent for the carrier."
In the freight world that we work in, broker gets loads from shipper, brokers posts load, carrier calls broker. The majority of the time, the broker is an agent of the shipper to find trucks and move their product. When all is well who cares. When the broker has abscounded with the funds and the shipper may have to pay the carrier, the shipper then says the broker was not his agent, he was yours, the carrier.