User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2007, 03:52 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Jb Hunt, lease, good or not?

Further to my post yesterday, i have 5 mos otr, 9 mos local, in the USA.
jB Hunt will let me lease on with them, here is the lease terms, long im afraid, does this sound good or not good, as im considering it, to get some time as an i/o, thanks in advance, im buying a 2003 freightliner century, with my own funds......

Average over $1 per mile
90 cpm base, loaded & empty, plus flexible fuel surcharge (.22-.25cpm)as
of now.
Base plates and permits paid
Toll cards and passes issued; scales reimbursed
Significant discounts on tires and maintenance
Fuel deducted from weekly settlement
Weekly settlement administered via Comdata® or direct-deposit
Opportunities available east of I-35

$50 congestion pay (five boroughs of New York)
$50 layover pay after 24 hours (weekdays)
$35 entering and $35 exiting Canada (total of $70)
$25 per hour local/shuttle driving
$20 pallet jack
$25 per hour for safety training
$2.25 per 1000 lbs loading/unloading
$500 referral bonus for drivers hired/dispatched or contractors
leased/dispatched

S H O R T - H A U L R A T E S
0 to 74 miles… mileage rate plus $45
75 to 149 miles… mileage rate plus $35
150 to 225 miles… mileage rate plus $25
226 to 300 miles… mileage rate plus $15
W E E K L Y S E T T L E M E N T

W I T H H O L D I N G S

$1500 escrow withheld at $50 per week; returned within 45 days of
termination
$25 per month for use of 3-piece OBC unit; $50 for 2-piece unit (selected
by driver)
$50 annual administrative fees (tax, etc…) deducted at end of first month
$1500 deductible for personal injury/property damage for preventable
accident (driver is responsible for first $1500, J.B. Hunt pays
remainder)
$500 deductible for preventable cargo damage (driver is responsible for
first $500, J.B. Hunt pays remainder)
Voluntary general fund (maintenance escrow) available
.01 cpm fuel usage tax to be paid quarterly

Thanks
Rich
Old 11-15-2007, 04:09 PM
Senior Board Member

Did you call the agent I gave you? I'm pretty sure you can get insurance.
I will PM you the name of a truck salesman of Freightliner in Miami. This guy has been real good to me.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:31 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Jb Hunt, lease, good or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brycey2004
90 cpm base, loaded & empty, plus flexible fuel surcharge (.22-.25cpm)as
of now.
As of now,"normal" FSC, starts with $0.4...
Also all those "extras" ain't worth the s$$t IMHO, cause it's way below of what I'd consider reasonable, with that "base" rate!
If you run a lot of miles, you'll survive, but what's the point, cause you'll be actually making less money, and no benefits, than JB company driver..! :roll:
Old 11-15-2007, 08:06 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

It will be difficult for you to make a good living at that rate. Fuel is running around $3.50/gallon or more in some areas of the country. At that rate you will spend around $0.60-0.70/mile just for fuel. Factor in truck payments, tires, maintenance, etc., and you will wind up paying them to haul their freight. One other thing. It seems to me as though you would need to spend a lot of time just figuring what they owe you. I prefer agreements which are straight forward and simple.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:13 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
One other thing. It seems to me as though you would need to spend a lot of time just figuring what they owe you.
I tried but I got tired and had to take a nap.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:26 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 11-16-2007, 01:05 AM
Senior Board Member

If you want to go broke and lose everything that you have worked for to get that 2003 Freightliner, then lease on to JBHunt.

As GMan was saying, with fuel at $3.50 you are paying 60 cents per mile to run the truck, you have to pay yourself at least 40 cents per mile. There is $1 per mile. They only want to pay 90 cent per mile plus 25 cent per mile fsc, Thats $1.15 per mile revenue and your cost are more than $1 per mile, you profit is already less than 15 cents per mile, STAY AWAY from this and anyother FLEECE deal. Find a company that will lease you at a percentage with a simple contract, anything else is smoke and mirrors.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:39 AM
Board Regular

i agree i hear jb hunts commericials on the xm radio and just sit back and laugh. with my payments, fuel, insurance, personal bills, maintance, maintance fund, qualcomm it costs me 90 cpm to run the truck with fuel prices averaged at national average and 6 mpg with no trailer payments or maintance and they pay my tolls, fuel tax, permits, plates, and stuff. that number i came up with is based off of 3000 miles per week. what ever is left over after all my expenses and paying my bills goes directly into the bank to cover quarterly taxes, and major breakdowns.
as far as fuel goes, i average 7.2mpg and that is extra money into my account for taxes and major breakdowns. my main goal right now is to pay myself next to nothing and get my truck account built way up
change the oil and pull samples every 12000 miles
Old 11-16-2007, 10:22 AM
Rookie

Hello
well it seems from what ive read most of the big companies are paying 90cpm + fsc, so how are they getting i/o's to work for them? i agree it aint enough, they can put all these packages together and try and confuse people, when it all boils down to $$$$, im finding it hard to get work due to only 5 mos on the dac, my truck payment will be $1000 per month btw, i aint gonna do this unless i can make more than 40cpm after expenses, i can make 30-35cpm running company driver!! id just like to have the freedom to move around companies, find the better ones, without getting my dac messed up, also want more hometime flexability, and the ability to have the things i want in my truck, along with being able to run 75mph if i want, im thinking maybe i should wait a little longer, get another 7 mos under my belt,
then get the truck, but im impatient, well this should be useful info for others, as im sure many people out there wanna have their own truck, it can be done, others are doing it!!!
Rich
Old 11-16-2007, 11:39 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Your impatience can cost you dearly. The way some are making it without the experience is by getting their own authority. Most of them will not make it. Without at least a couple of years experience it is difficult to get insurance. Unless you have some solid experience you better have a lot of cash or be VERY lucky. There is a learning curve to any business. You can probably get insurance for authority without 2 years experience but it is usually expensive and there are normally mileage restrictions. Most carriers want you to have at least 1-2 years of driving experience before leasing you on to them. CRST Malone will lease on an owner operator with only 6 months. Or at least they did. They mostly pull flats, but do have some vans in that division. They pay percentage. If you want to lease to a carrier find one who pays percentage. You stand to make more money for your efforts than running mileage. Landstar, Mercer, CRST Malone and Jones are a few who pay percentage. I believe CRST Malone is the only one who will lease you on without at least 1 year of experience. You can earn a decent living with any of them. There will still be a learning curve with any of them. I have known of some who have done well with these companies and others who have lost their shirts. With any of these carriers, it is similar to running your own authority, especially with Landstar. Landstar doesn't have any dispatchers. You are basically on your own. I have leased to Landstar and CRST Malone. Other than those two carriers I have mostly run my own authority. This is not a very forgiving business. Unless you operate it as a business you are setting yourself up for failure. My suggestion would be to wait until you have at least 1 year of experience and save your money. You will likely need it.

You state that you want the freedom to move around companies. If you start moving around a lot, whether you are a company driver or owner operator, you will begin to find it difficult to find a good carrier. The better ones don't like to see drivers who move around a lot. It shows instability and potential of not being able to get along with people or poor communication skills. And by the way, you don't want to do 75 mph in a big truck. It will cost too much money for fuel. And when you lease to a carrier they will report your performance to DAC whether you are a company driver or owner operator. Not all carriers use DAC, but most of the larger ones do. If they use DAC, they report all experiences with drivers and owner operators.