User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2007, 07:07 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default New Job!!

I am getting into trucking, after 15 years of the Masonry biz. I bought a 2002 Volvo Vn664 W/Detroit 60 series and a 1995 Fontaine stepdeck w/spread axels. I thought about going it on my own, but it looks like I won't be able to get interstate insurance. :sad:

So I called up a distant relative (3rd Cousin) who haules stepdeck in Pa
He says "I got a Job for you...." Here are the details
I will be hauling out of SC, he will supply insurance, Mc# Dot#,all filings
He will pay me 90% of gross unless I make over $2.50 (all miles) Then he will pay 87.5%

He seems to make good money, and has 3 trucks on the road after 2 years in the biz...Yeah and he is only 23 years old :shock:

So let me have it.....Good deal? Bad deal? Things to look out for

Thanks, Chris

Edit.....My insurance will be deducted from my check monthly!
Old 11-15-2007, 09:43 AM
Senior Board Member

Are you located in SC? Why are you getting out of Masonry? Was it your own business?

I'm kinda doing the same thing, I have a construction business now and working to start a truck business when I have time. I'm keeping the construction till I can't do both, then I'll make a choice.

I can't really offer any advice since I'm not running yet but if it were me I'd look the numbers over real good. If they're his customers and he gets good rates 90% is probably good money. 90% of cheap however is still cheap. :lol:
Old 11-15-2007, 10:13 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RostyC
Are you located in SC? Why are you getting out of Masonry? Was it your own business?

I'm kinda doing the same thing, I have a construction business now and working to start a truck business when I have time. I'm keeping the construction till I can't do both, then I'll make a choice.

I can't really offer any advice since I'm not running yet but if it were me I'd look the numbers over real good. If they're his customers and he gets good rates 90% is probably good money. 90% of cheap however is still cheap. :lol:

Yeah.. I live in Pickens South Carolina, thats close to Greenville
The reason I quit masonry was because of a medical issue with both of my ankles (Cronic Inflamation) yes it was my own biz..

He is averaging $2.25 per mile although he says freight is down right now and he don't know how long it will last :nervous: