User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2007, 10:44 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default A LITTLE HELP PLEASE...

howdy drivers. i need to lease/rent a trailer. can't really afford to buy one now. where can an independent rent a trailer? i tried ryder and penske, but they said they typically won't lease t business less than 6 yrs old. i see where there are a lot of dry vans in the 3-5000 range. but as i recall, you get what you pay for. so any ideas would be really appreciated.

mainly, i think i'm looking for a short term lease type deal while i save money as well as survey the market before i buy. vans are tje least work, headache and pay. reefer are the mosr aggrevating and the best paying, if you can get all the lumper fees covered. flatbeds are too much work. however a curtainside would cut down the tarping woes. above average pay, as i understand. stepdeck, no real experience, so not a real issue. lol.

thanks.

jon mcclain
tinman
Old 11-13-2007, 10:56 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Renting a trailer can be difficult for a new company or owner operator. You may just try to find a leasing company. There requirements can be less strict. You will still need fairly decent credit. A couple of companies who come to mind are Kennesaw Leasing and Smoky Mountain Leasing. If you check with some of the trailer dealerships, I am sure they can help you find someone who will lease you a trailer. It will be much less expensive to lease to buy rather than a weekly or monthly rental. You don't need to spend a fortune to find a decent trailer. I have seen good ones for about $6,500. If you can arrange your own financing you may find a good deal at one of the equipment auctions.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:31 PM
Senior Board Member

I leased a brand new 48' van for $405 a month with a 10% ballon at the end of 5 years,which was refinaced.$0 down

Much better than renting if you ask me.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:12 PM
Rookie
Default re

thanks for the input. i've been looking around and i can do a lease. there are a lot listed at the truckpaper. i had, naturally hoped to find a good cheap trailer quickly and easily. i should have known better. lol.

sold my fld120 in 04 to buy a dumptruck. 3 yrs later i'm trying to come back to what i know. but it seems to have changed a bit. in nc, i apparently need to have ny own authority or at least a contract and insurance card from whomever i plan to lease on with.

so now, i'm trying to play catch up on all the things i need to learn as well as try to find a wagon. i have a company i plan to lease on with they used to run my dumptruck a bit. so i hope they have what i need for the moment til i get settled in a bit.

thanks for the come back guys.

jon mc
Old 11-13-2007, 10:36 PM
Senior Board Member

How far do you plan on running? If only local or shorthaul, you could rent from Mobile Storage for about $200 per month but you wont be getting the greatest trailer, but its a start if you arent going far. I ran one once all 48, it ate at least 1 tire a month and I paid $180 per month. I complained the whole time I had it. In hindsight it was a good deal.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:16 PM

i got my trl in cullman,ala. 225 mo. they have air ride for 325. they lease to anyone. pay first mount and drive off,sweet!!
equipment logistic
256-739-9280 they are off exit 299 on I65 in alabama
Old 11-14-2007, 12:19 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by protrkdriver
i got my trl in cullman,ala. 225 mo. they have air ride for 325. they lease to anyone. pay first mount and drive off,sweet!!
equipment logistic
256-739-9280 they are off exit 299 on I65 in alabama
this is me!!! thanks guys!!! one down. i went to dmv to gt my base plates. and they sid no way jose. i need what seems to amount my own authority. was i gone that long? i don't really have a lease in place yet. but figured that was going to be the least of my problems. so far, the dmv's have been the most difficult part of reentering the truck world. i can only imagine how much fun dot must be. but are they right? i surely had a dot/mc# when i registered my old fld back in 03. but i can't find it nor can anyone seem to pull it up on dmv files. any suggestions other than find a lease really fast. lol.
again thanks for all of all your help and suggestions. i'll be calling cullman today.
thanks again
jon tinman mc
01kw w900
my big red truck
Old 11-14-2007, 10:38 PM

go to internal rev serivce pay your 2290
go to tag place pay your ad varlourm tax
go to state revanue dept. tell them u want a apportion tag they will give you a packet of forms. should have all u need in there. i just got mine and it was prorated. only cost 625.00, im good till may. well got to go.i have to be in waynesboro,ga in the morning, hope this helps..
hunter
Old 11-14-2007, 10:42 PM

p.s
they will have a application for your dot number in the packet,well alabama did anyway.and best of all it dont cost anything for it.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:46 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: California...yup beautifull Hollywood just over the hill

Hey pro...the name of the place is Cullman?...in Alabama?...I may be selling my van soon for a flatbed...n may want to lease one to start, but my credits crap, but I got cash n plenty to lay down as a deposit...almost have enough to buy one straight out and like to, put usng the $ for a rebuild on the truck this winter instead.

Ok I see ...equiptment logistic?