User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2007, 10:41 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Load boards ,ect

Ok , got to get this question out as stupid as it may be. Could someone
explain whats the difference between a Load board and a Broker. Is Central dispatch one or the other. Many thanks Darin
Old 11-10-2007, 10:45 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Load boards ,ect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin Younce
Ok , got to get this question out as stupid as it may be. Could someone
explain whats the difference between a Load board and a Broker. Is Central dispatch one or the other. Many thanks Darin
Central Dispatch is a loadboard for carhauling. All of the cars posted are posted by brokers and businesses that need cars moved. The loadboard is the market place where brokers go to sell their loads.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:56 PM
Board Regular

Thanks LOAD IT, been meaning to ask that for a while. Are there others
besides Central Dispatch that do car loads? If so is it normal to work
with more than one board to get loads? Lastlly, how is a load posted, IOW
do they post for instance "four cars from Chicago to Dallas , load pays
$1000.00" . I am sure this seems niave but I have been wondering
how this whole thing works. Sorry for all the questions ,Darin
Old 11-11-2007, 12:45 AM
Senior Board Member

they are usually posted origin to destination, rates are sometimes posted, comments tell # of cars, running/inop, open/encl trlr, subscribe to the service and see for yourself. Cancel if it doesnt work for you. I dont know of other car loadboards, but HHG moving companys, auto auctions, and large carhaul outfits are good places to find cars to move.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:05 AM
Board Regular

Thanks again , Don't think I can subscribe , haven't got truck, trailer
yet. I just am learning all possible before I get into it. Thinking of starting small ( 4 car) and working up . Heard pros and cons of small set up vs larger setup. I would really like to atleast get a five car hauler. I have the money to buy pretty much any size set up . With no payments I feel I can do real well , ofcoarse there is the insurance which may limit me somewhat but I live in KY and there are three pretty good size auctions within 130 or so miles from me, possibly more. I do have experience hauling cars for myself when I had car dealership. I would really love to
see some examples of what the loads are paying.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:06 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Most load boards will require you to have your authority before allowing you to subscribe. You don't need the equipment, but will need your authority. However, it doesn't make any sense to go to the expense of getting authority without equipment. Before checking into insurance you may want to check with some of the auctions for their minimum cargo insurance requirements. Most will require about $150,000. Some used to vary the requirement according to the number of cars you can haul. By the way, there is seems to be more money hauling POV's than auction cars. Of course, that can vary according to a number of factors. I suggest finding some deals for whom you can haul. Since you have been a dealer you should have some contacts. Tell them what you are thinking about doing and ask them what they have been paying and if they would do business with you. There is no need to pay a broker's fee when you can get your own shippers. I primarily hauled for my own shippers when I hauled cars. There is less hassle and I NEVER had to worry about my money. Most paid COD. Most of these brokers get either get paid up front or shortly after delivery, yet some want to hold your money for 30+ days.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:42 PM
Board Regular

Thanks Gman, I actually found a site that has a sample load board,
carhaulnetwork . Not sure if their numbers are correct but I have an Idea how it works, or at least how a load board looks. As far as contacts , I have what I feel is an ace in the hole . Jimmy Rawls owner of Rawls Auto Auction in leesville SC , (the oldest car auction in America) is a friend . He and his wife hang out with my sis .He has a life time of experience in auto auctions and transporting,being that he has his own fleet or haulers .
My sis told me a couple of days ago , he said he will be glad to help me anyway he can . I am going down there for Thanksgiving if the local
( fly ash) hauling job don't come thru. First thing tomorrow I will call
some insurance companies and see if I can even get insured. I have a clean record and am willing to work with them anyway, perhaps a higher deductable or whatever to get in. Then I will look into what is involved in getting my own authority. After all this will start pricing trucks. I can buy at Rawls because I know several dealers that said anytime I want to get a car or truck to come on, besides Jimmy Rawls sometimes lets folks in
but I hate to ask him even though he is a friend . Ton trucks can be bought thousands less at the auction because they are not moving too good at the dealerships. All I need is a clean dependable truck, nothing fancy. As I said before I have seen several trailers go thru the auction
for sometimes way less than half the cost of a new one, so I will look for a trailer also. sometimes you can find out by asking around that a dealer has a trailer he wants to get rid of. Anyway I am still in contention
for the local job which will be good money and will get me home every night but I feel that I can do much better in the long run on my own.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:45 AM
Board Regular

Saw an add in the paper looking for a driver with a 3/4 or one ton truck,
called and person I spoke to said it was dedicated hauling trailers( rv) from a town near southbend to texas, forgot where but was about 1000 miles.The load paid 945.00. I figure If I had a truck that got 10-12 mpg I would be spending quite a bit on fuel including deadhead back and of coarse trip up to Indiana which is 300 plus miles.Don't think this will work. Looked at several other sites( rv ,car,whatever) and some paid little more and a some a lot more. Also checked into getting own authority,ins and so-forth,dont have a truck or trailer yet so I got a ballpark of around 7000.00 but not sure if that is accurate because I was speculating on the truck and trailer and what coverage I needed. I am waiting on some more figures . Finally I checked on what I need to get authority and found a site that suppose to help with all arrangements
for a fee of 500.00. Still looking.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:58 AM

Darin, I would start with researching your insurance. That is the big requirement to the DOT, and finding out what options you have will be good to know.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:47 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Darin, you want to make sure on the insurance. Most will require at least 2 years of driving experience before they will cover you. There have been a few on this forum who have managed to find insurance for general freight without experience, but premiums are normally high and there are usually mileage restrictions. Most seem to be around 300 miles of your home base. When dealing with cars, the most difficult is cargo insurance. There aren't many insurance companies who will write liability and cargo insurance for big trucks. The pool is even smaller for those who haul cars. You may find it less expensive with a hot shot operation. A friend of mine who runs hot shots had Progressive when he started out. However, I don't think they write cargo. My friend had many years of experience before getting into this aspect of the business so finding insurance wasn't as much of a challenge for him.