User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2007, 04:05 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

My refrigerator will run for 3-4 days on my inverter with my truck shut off. If I go 3 days or so, it will run the batteries down. But I leave my refrigerator on at nights when I am parked, plugged into the inverter, and the fridge alone won't drain the batteries.

I don't think DOT would give a whoot on a well designed setup. Probably most would not even know the code applicable, if in fact there is one. It's all about safety, and a good setup done safely would not be any more hazardous than any other fuel based setup.

I run the same trailer all the time; that's why I'm thinking of mounting my generator on the trailer. For winter use, it would do the trick, I think...
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena;
whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood;
who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again;
who knows the great enthusiasms,
the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course;
who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement,
and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly;
so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls
who know neither victory or defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 11-02-2007, 04:21 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverWulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel
DOT might (will ) have a problem with the gasoline can thing for the generator...
Could you point to the regs that apply to gasoline and CMV's?
§393.65 All fuel systems.

(a) Application of the rules in this section. The rules in this section apply to systems for containing and supplying fuel for the operation of motor vehicles or for the operation of auxiliary equipment installed on, or used in connection with, motor vehicles.

(b) Location. Each fuel system must be located on the motor vehicle so that —

(b)(1) No part of the system extends beyond the widest part of the vehicle;

(b)(2) No part of a fuel tank is forward of the front axle of a power unit;

(b)(3) Fuel spilled vertically from a fuel tank while it is being filled will not contact any part of the exhaust or electrical systems of the vehicle, except the fuel level indicator assembly;

(b)(4) Fill pipe openings are located outside the vehicle's passenger compartment and its cargo compartment;

(b)(5) A fuel line does not extend between a towed vehicle and the vehicle that is towing it while the combination of vehicles is in motion; and

(b)(6) No part of the fuel system of a bus manufactured on or after January 1, 1973, is located within or above the passenger compartment.

(c) Fuel tank installation. Each fuel tank must be securely attached to the motor vehicle in a workmanlike manner. Can't strap a gas can to the catwalk...
(d) Gravity or syphon feed prohibited. A fuel system must not supply fuel by gravity or syphon feed directly to the carburetor or injector.

(e) Selection control valve location. If a fuel system includes a selection control valve which is operable by the driver to regulate the flow of fuel from two or more fuel tanks, the valve must be installed so that either —

(e)(1) The driver may operate it while watching the roadway and without leaving his/her driving position; or

(e)(2) The driver must stop the vehicle and leave his/her seat in order to operate the valve.

(f) Fuel lines. A fuel line which is not completely enclosed in a protective housing must not extend more than 2 inches below the fuel tank or its sump. Diesel fuel crossover, return, and withdrawal lines which extend below the bottom of the tank or sump must be protected against damage from impact. Every fuel line must be —

(f)(1) Long enough and flexible enough to accommodate normal movements of the parts to which it is attached without incurring damage; and

(f)(2) Secured against chafing, kinking, or other causes of mechanical damage.

(g) Excess flow valve. When pressure devices are used to force fuel from a fuel tank, a device which prevents the flow of fuel from the fuel tank if the fuel feed line is broken must be installed in the fuel system.

[36 FR 15445, Aug. 14, 1971, as amended at 37 FR 4341, Mar. 2, 1972; 37 FR 28752, Dec. 29, 1972].
Old 11-02-2007, 05:14 AM

With the setup I have in mind, I don't see a problem meeting everything that is required or staying away from the prohibited.

Thanks.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:41 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverWulf
With the setup I have in mind, I don't see a problem meeting everything that is required or staying away from the prohibited.

Thanks.
Your generator is going to have a fuel pump? Most portable generators don't.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:54 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

That generator is gravity fed although you really can't tell without taking it apart. I doubt if anyone would give you any grief about it.

I'm assuming gravity feed is a no no because the fuel line could break and leak gas over everything where a pump feed is sucked out of the top of the unit and can't leak.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:20 PM

Just my 2 cents worth

I think the regulations that are being posted here apply to the vehicle....
A Generator is and add on unit and I have never seen anything that says yes or no to a generator being mounted to a CMV........

Examples.........

RGN's that are self contained have a gas engine on them....

older car haulers were self conained... Gas Motors......

Landall trailers can be self contained...gas motors......

look at tankers with that big box mounted under it .........Gas Motor....

And if my memory serves me correctly flammable liquids is 1500 Pounds or a number of gallons to be Haz Mat ( I do not pull haz mat )

The generator I have was built in 1968 and came off a B-52 and has a fuel pump and the tank is mounted to the gen
Old 11-02-2007, 11:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by watevr777
Just my 2 cents worth

I think the regulations that are being posted here apply to the vehicle....
A Generator is and add on unit and I have never seen anything that says yes or no to a generator being mounted to a CMV........

Examples.........

RGN's that are self contained have a gas engine on them....

older car haulers were self conained... Gas Motors......

Landall trailers can be self contained...gas motors......

look at tankers with that big box mounted under it .........Gas Motor....

And if my memory serves me correctly flammable liquids is 1500 Pounds or a number of gallons to be Haz Mat ( I do not pull haz mat )

The generator I have was built in 1968 and came off a B-52 and has a fuel pump and the tank is mounted to the gen
Maybe you missed the first section of the rule. I will post it below to clear up any confusion.....

§393.65 All fuel systems.

(a) Application of the rules in this section. The rules in this section apply to systems for containing and supplying fuel for the operation of motor vehicles or for the operation of auxiliary equipment installed on, or used in connection with, motor vehicles.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:25 AM

I Stand corrected

...Gravity or syphon feed prohibited. A fuel system must not supply fuel by gravity or syphon feed directly to the carburetor or injector. ...

Gen MUST HAVE A FUEL PUMP

..Fuel tank installation. Each fuel tank must be securely attached to the motor vehicle in a workmanlike manner. ...

...gas can is not a fuel tank ( yes some red neck could use it that way but I don't think that is the way it is being used here ...it is a gas can used for storing extra gas for the generator

Big Diesel IM not picking a fight ...just getting facts straight....
Old 11-03-2007, 01:27 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by watevr777
...gas can is not a fuel tank ( yes some red neck could use it that way but I don't think that is the way it is being used here ...it is a gas can used for storing extra gas for the generator
That is a fuel tank: a device for storing fuel for a motor.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:06 AM
Senior Board Member

When I bought my truck it had a gravity fed 5,000watt genny under the sleeper. The guy who rigged it drilled a hole in the gas cap, and then sealed it shut with blue RTV silicone. He put a 5 gallon tank on the catwalk and off he went.

Only problem was that the silicone let go and then he would use the shutoff valve to stop the fuel from leaking out of the full original tank while he drove, but when he used the genny, it would seep diesel fuel all over the place.

Now,...if he had removed the original tank from the genny and then piped the catwalk tank into the fuel pump supply line,...it might have worked,....
Oh,....he also let the exhaust blow upwards into the bottom of the sleeper (let me tell you what a mess that was to clean up).

So,....if you have room, just put the genny on the frame rail below the sleeper, remove the tank, then put an aux tank on the catwalk,pipe it into the gravity fuel line at the carb...and walla,....instant power.
But be carefull, the higher you go above the genny with the fuel tank,,the more PSI on the carb needle and seat,....it could flood while running, or just overflow all the time. A regulator might be needed, and it will take time to get the fuel flow right, but it will work.
Also,..some of those portable genny's are loud as hell, and I don't mean the exhaust,...I mean just the noise from the unit itself. The more $$$ the quieter you will get. Rest assured,..anything you get from Home Depot will not be quiet enough to put on your truck.

Or you can be a puss like Steve O, and get a fu#4ing whimpy a$$ rigmaster :roll: