User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2007, 11:25 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default Interesting fuel savings this morning

I was traveling through Nebraska this morning on a very straight and level road and was bucking a head wind. My computer said I was getting 4.5mpg.

I was approaching a slower truck but a car was coming up on my left so I slowed down a little and was maybe 300 feet behind the truck in front of me. I looked down and I was getting 6.5 mpg. I stayed there for maybe 25 miles and no change. I then passed him and as soon as I started half way up his truck my mpg started to go down and once I was in front, 4.5 again.

So I wait until a truck passes me and I catch up about 300 feet behind and bingo, back up to 6.5 again.

That explains why I'm tooling along and I see a truck catch up to me then he stays with me for 100's of miles!!!! My guess is that they are looking for a truck that has the cruise on and matches there truck in the hills.

I'm sure you all know this but nobody has ever mentioned it. I thought it was pretty cool. I'm thinking about putting an anemometer on my truck and doing some experiments. I find this interesting.

Also, a study was just done. During the hot weather it is better to leave your windows open up to 55mph. After that, it is cheaper to run your A/C due to the added wind resistance that leaving your windows open causes above 55mph.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:44 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

At 100 yards you were not close enough to see any benefits from drafting, which is an unsafe and stupid activity.

I imagine what happened was that the truck in front of you was simply acting as a wind block which cut down on the resistance on your truck. It sounds like you found the sweet spot for this, which will be different depending on specific conditions at that moment.

Much closer and you would have been dealing with the turbulence from the truck in front of you, farther back and the wind would have had a greater effect on you.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:52 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
At 100 yards you were not close enough to see any benefits from drafting, which is an unsafe and stupid activity.
not to mention fun and exciting!

Old 10-28-2007, 04:55 AM
Senior Board Member

Yes I've noticed that too. And when you're passing a van, if you get really close you can get a side draft off his slipstream.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:49 AM
Senior Board Member

Be careful DRAFTING to save fuel. The following too closely ticket may offset your savings. 300 feet is too close according to DOT.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:50 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOAD IT
Be careful DRAFTING to save fuel. The following too closely ticket may offset your savings. 300 feet is too close according to DOT.
Steve talked to some US MARSHALLS in Washington who said it was okay.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:23 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Default Re: Interesting fuel savings this morning

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth
I was traveling through Nebraska this morning on a very straight and level road and was bucking a head wind. My computer said I was getting 4.5mpg.

I was approaching a slower truck but a car was coming up on my left so I slowed down a little and was maybe 300 feet behind the truck in front of me. I looked down and I was getting 6.5 mpg. I stayed there for maybe 25 miles and no change. I then passed him and as soon as I started half way up his truck my mpg started to go down and once I was in front, 4.5 again.

So I wait until a truck passes me and I catch up about 300 feet behind and bingo, back up to 6.5 again.

That explains why I'm tooling along and I see a truck catch up to me then he stays with me for 100's of miles!!!! My guess is that they are looking for a truck that has the cruise on and matches there truck in the hills.

I'm sure you all know this but nobody has ever mentioned it. I thought it was pretty cool. I'm thinking about putting an anemometer on my truck and doing some experiments. I find this interesting.

Also, a study was just done. During the hot weather it is better to leave your windows open up to 55mph. After that, it is cheaper to run your A/C due to the added wind resistance that leaving your windows open causes above 55mph.
It's called Drafting
Old 10-28-2007, 11:10 PM
Senior Board Member

I was informed by the DOT when I asked that 300 feet following when empty BUT 1000 feet when you are loaded.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:47 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo
I was informed by the DOT when I asked that 300 feet following when empty BUT 1000 feet when you are loaded.
If Barney Fife says you are closer that 300 yards you will get a ticket 9 times out of 10. Loaded or empty.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:23 AM

Ha, if your 1000 feet on the East Coast that's enough room for 20 semi's and 35 cars to pull in front of you. You'll be at a dead stop in no time flat trying to keep your 1000 foot clearance.

I was cruising along yesterday through Idaho and another truck passed me and once again my computer said my MPG went way up. I kept up within 300 feet which in my opinion was a comfortable distance between us. I think someone was correct before, it's not drafting but the fact that the other truck was making a path through the head wind. There was a steady headwind breeze. I think to draft you need to be right on someones tail.