User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2007, 03:12 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I would always call the consignee if it is my first time delivering to them. Somestime they require appointment times, might have a different delivery warehouse, no overnight parking, 24 hour loading/unloading & etc.

Tell your husband to buy a cheap digital camera. Make a habit of taking picture of his load and he can delete once the load is signed for.

Good Luck

"Big Red One" , 3rd ID, 82nd Airborne, Recondo, Jumpmaster, & Drill Sergeant

OOIDA
Old 10-25-2007, 08:15 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Don't feel bad. I ended up in front of City Hall once with radar equipment. It was City Hall who paid for it but was going to the airport which I didn't know.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:32 PM

Question? Have any of you been asked if you would drop and hook your own trailer? The shipper has 2 loads next week going to the same location and I can pick up my trailer on the second load. Makes me a little nervous leaving my trailer.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:16 PM
Board Regular

Carriers do it all the time, as an O/O in reality your just a small carrier. Only thing to worry is if someone would steal tires off your trailer while your off with theirs, but they have the same worry.

One advange Save time getting loaded when he back for the second load.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:28 PM

Week One

Had a few glitches but made it. Rates OK - Miles OK

Week Two - Offers - but rates so low can't see where I would be making anything if I run them.

For those of you who just started out:

Do you run freight at low rates just to establish yourself with a Broker?
CH Robinson and other companies have freight - but do I need to run it cheap just to get my foot in the door?

When you guys say you knock on doors - How do you sell yourself? Not a stranger to cold calls or sales in general but who do you contact?

I want to run - need to run - have funds put back - but can't sit still forever. I have a few contacts - but obviously need way more. I read these boards for a long time before starting this venture and understood that it is hard starting out - but geez - this is crazy.

Who is running all this cheap freight and why? How the heck is anyone staying in business?
Old 10-30-2007, 03:16 PM

Brokers could care less if they know you are not. There is no foot in the door. Either you have a truck available or not. Have a truck? Have insurance? Great, your good to go.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:53 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Do you run freight at low rates just to establish yourself with a Broker
No, The rates aren't lower, the broker is just taking a bigger cut at your expense.

It may surprise you but CH Robinson give the biggest percentage of their freight to major carriers, the left overs go on their call board.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:01 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblickster
CH Robinson and other companies have freight - but do I need to run it cheap just to get my foot in the door?
No. If you pull cheap they will rememeber you and they are not likely to offer you anthing good in the future. In all of my repeat business with brokers, the rates have been established by usiing the previous load as a starting point i.e. they will say "Well, let's see here...last time you did this for $2/mile......"

In times like this, for a new carrier such as yourself without any contacts, there are only two ways to get good rates that I know of:

1. Get lucky. Maybe another truck has dropped the load ad you are in the right place at the right time.
2. Go places and do things that other guys won't.

We move tall and wide stuff into Ontario and that was working good but the bottom has fallen out of that too. It's going to be an ugly winter I think.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:33 PM

Week 2 was pretty scary. Spent 2 days looking for decent loads. Have to agree with Pepe that this is hard work. Takes a lot of time to locate decent paying freight and get set up with each broker/shipper.

Ended up pretty good and ran several short mile loads for good money. Had to stay on top of it though. Lot's of hours on the computer and the phone. Had time on my hands though. I sat a lot of hours between loads because I don't know any of these companies I'm pulling for and how long they take to load and unload. Wouldn't want to book something and then not be able to make it on time. Guess this will get better with time.

For those of you considering staying local under you own authority this may be something to consider.

Shorter loads = more work finding the loads and more paperwork.

It's amazing how little some of these loads pay. I feel sorry for the truckers who are so strapped they have to haul for no profit.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:05 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblickster

When you guys say you knock on doors - How do you sell yourself? Not a stranger to cold calls or sales in general but who do you contact?

I want to run - need to run - have funds put back - but can't sit still forever. I have a few contacts - but obviously need way more. I read these boards for a long time before starting this venture and understood that it is hard starting out - but geez - this is crazy.

Who is running all this cheap freight and why? How the heck is anyone staying in business?

You do not need to take cheap freight to get in with these brokers. Unless you keep your rates high enough, you won't be in business very long. Every business MUST make a profit to continue to exist.

If you want to find your own shippers you will need to get out and make some sales calls. You must find the one who can make a decision. The shipping manager is a good place to start. Some shippers have logistics companies to handle their shipping needs. You can use the telephone, direct mail or personal sales calls. Any or all of them can result in gaining new business.

This is a time of year when rates tend to soften. The key is to remain flexible. During winter months some won't run in the cold and snow. That usually results in rates being higher in those areas and lower in the warmer climate. I see no need to haul freight unless I can make a fair profit. It doesn't make any sense to haul freight just to keep the truck moving. Unless someone is willing to pay me enough to make a fair profit then I won't waste my time with them. Apparently, there are plenty of owner operators and carriers who are willing to run for $1/mile on some loads. I would prefer sitting or deadhead out than take one of those cheap loads. A friend of mine is in the Northwest. He wound up deadheading over to his brother in Idaho rather than hauling a heavy load of lumber for $1/or so. He feels like me about hauling for fuel money. Fuel costs are approaching $0.70/mile in the far Northwest. Rates should be going up rather than down. The problem is that there are too many people who get into this business, buy a truck and don't have enough money to run their business. They run scared. They are so afraid of losing everything that they take this cheap freight to try and out run the bill collectors. Of course, in the end, they wind up losing everything anyway. You can't run for FREE forever. If we had more business people in this business rates would be higher. What these people don't realize is that if enough people let this freight sit then rates come up. Rates will come up until someone takes it.

Rates are somewhat artificially low right now. The building and automobile industries are slow. Those are two areas where trucking rely heavily on freight. Those who usually haul this type of freight must look for other avenues until these industries begin to recover. That throws an excess capacity into the mix during a slow time of year. The result is more trucks for the available freight. Last year during this time there wasn't as much freight. This year there seems to be plenty of freight but rates are lower, in part due to the excess capacity. One thing we seem to forget. Shippers MUST move their goods. They can only wait so long before shipping them. Unless they ship to their customers they cannot survive. It is a waiting game. I think some shippers are better at it than many in the trucking business.