User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2007, 08:22 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default AGENT OR LOAD BOARD?

BEING FRON COLORADO I DON'T HAVE MANY OPTIONS ASFAR AS TAKING DECENT LOADS OUT OF STATE.

SO MY QUIESTION IS, DO I STAND A BETTER CHACE SIGNINGUP WITH AN AGENT OR OR USING LOADBOARDS?

IF SO DOES ANYBODY KNOW A DECENT AGENT THAT WILL TAKEME EAST OF COLORADO.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:31 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I am not sure what you are talking about when you say "agent." Most who work with agents are leased to a carrier such as Landstar or CRST Malone, etc., Agents are essentially just brokers who work primarily with one or more carriers. Rates are usually not that great coming out of Colorado, but I have gotten some decent loads out from time to time. I usually count on deadheading out to find something decent. If you want to stay in Colorado and run your own authority you need to start establishing some relationships with a few shippers or brokers who have good paying loads. There are some who have acceptable rates, but it takes time to find them.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:18 AM
Rookie

Ismar, I live in Colorado and can understand your situation. you'll find generally speaking, coming home to Colorado is where the money is. Everyone knows that Colorado is a deadend. Shippers are willing to pay good rates to get there Colorado loads covered.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:55 PM
Rookie

I GOT A CALL FROM AN INDEPENDENT AGENCY ALL I NEEDED WAS MY AUTHORITY AND A TRAILER.
THAT'S WHAT I MEAN BY AN AGENT. GMAN
I HAULED FOR CRST FOR A YEAR AND 6 MONTS AND I HAD TO USE THEIR AUTHORITY AND PLATES. IT DIDN'T GO WELL
I LIVED IN CHICAGO AT THAT TIME AND ALL I EVER GOT OUT OF THEM WAS 2 LOADS TO OHIO PER WEEK, WICH VEARLY COVERED THE DEDUCTIONS FOR TRAILER $ 164 PER WEEK PLATES $75 PER WEEK
AND EQUIPMENT $50 PER WEEK AMONG OTHER THINGS.

THEY HAVE AN OPEN DOOR POLICI AND THE FIRST AND ONLY TIME I
USEIT FOR MORE LOADS I WAS GIVEN A LOAD TO KANSA CITY WITH A PROMIS TO GET A LOAD BACK THAT FRIDAY MORNING. IT DIDN'T HAPPEN.
MY OPTION WAS TO DEADHEAD BACK OR WAIT UNTIL THE FOLLOWING MONDAY AFTERNOON WHEN THEY WILL TRY TOFIND SOMETHING GOING OUT.
THI IS CRST MALONE OUT OF ELDRIDGE IOWA.

SO I'M TRYNG TO KEEP AWAY FROM BIG COMPANIES LIKE THIS.

IS GOOD TO KNOW ABOUT SOMEONE OUT THERE WITH THEIR OWN AUTHORITY FROM THE SAME STATE [GOTTAROLL]
I CAME HERE FROM CHICAGO, AND IS A DIFERENT BALLGAME OUT HERE.

I'VE HAD MY AUTHORITY FOR OVER 5 YEARS BUT THIS IS THE FIRST TIME I WILL LOOK FOR LOADS MY SELF . I'M ABOUT THERE I'M GETING MY OFFICE TOGETHER [LAPTOP PRINTER FAX AND SOME INPUT ON HOW TO DEAL WITH BROKERS]

THIS IS WHEN I LOOK FOR THE ADVICE OF GMAN AND OTHER EXPERIENCE DRIVERS WHO ARE WILLING TO PASS THEIR EXPERIENCE ALONG.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:42 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Ismar, there are brokers who will work with you on both ends so that you can haul their freight. I have met a couple of owners who tell me that they only haul for CH Robinson. They have a few of their offices who keep them rolling year around. There are smaller brokers who can do the same thing. I know when I was leased to Landstar, there were some of their agents who would work with other agents on the other end to get you back to haul their freight. It worked pretty well for everyone. It takes time to make good contacts. You need to have patience.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:35 PM
Rookie