User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2007, 05:44 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Trying to get started

I have a couple of questions is it better to lease on to a company or get your authority ?? like money wise if you lease do you usually get paid weekly or ?? and when you have authority the broker usually does it net 30 right ?? just wondering i have been reading on here for a while and i am just curious..i am wanting to get a truck and put a driver in it to drive for me i do have a job and i want to keep it so i figured i could do this just to help out a little..i am planning it through before i spend any money i have about $ 10,000 in the bank now i know i probably need more though... if anybody has done this and has some advise i would appreciate it thanks
Old 09-30-2007, 06:59 PM
Board Regular

a "driver" is going to want to work every day and get paid every week.
And home all the time
And if he doesn't want to do something
He will make sure it fails
He's going to want to be paid well and benefits and a vacation.

Good Luck
Old 09-30-2007, 07:37 PM
Rookie

thats why i was wondering about the pay on the lease vs the broker if the lease pays weekly or even bi weekly that would work... i was also wondering on how to pay the driver by the mile or a percentage of the load ?? i have a family friend that does this she has a driver and i believe she pays him percentage she is leased with a company her driver is out on the road 4-5 days a week...i have been meaning to talk with her but she has been busy so i figured i would ask yall then talk with her and see what kind of advise i get thanks again
Old 09-30-2007, 09:50 PM
Board Regular
Default Re: Trying to get started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Train
I have a couple of questions is it better to lease on to a company or get your authority ?? like money wise if you lease do you usually get paid weekly or ?? and when you have authority the broker usually does it net 30 right ?? just wondering i have been reading on here for a while and i am just curious..i am wanting to get a truck and put a driver in it to drive for me i do have a job and i want to keep it so i figured i could do this just to help out a little..i am planning it through before i spend any money i have about $ 10,000 in the bank now i know i probably need more though... if anybody has done this and has some advise i would appreciate it thanks
Nitetrain, after obtaining my own authority and all the paperwork involved in getting set up with brokers, not to mention all the agencies involved ie. IRS, TXDot, USDot, IRP plates, State Comptroller, Business filings etc. etc. Setting up an office and load boards and the list goes on and on, which does not even include the time to check out purchase, register, and rig out equipment for the road.

When you go from a lease operator to a carrier, or as you call it, owner operator, you have ten times more administration and you have to get it right, or risk severe penalties.

I really don't believe I could have done it and held down a job. It took me three weeks around the clock to just going in Texas, and I came home to do more paperwork after I was out a week. My wife also was a tremendous help on the administration side. Some of this stuff just takes time, and one thing can be dependent on another, so there can be delays.

I know when I worked for Schneider, there was a guy that had quite a few trucks leased on to Schneider, and ironically, many of them were former Schneider drivers, so they already knew the program. I think he paid better, but I'm not sure about the benefits.

Lease operators get paid a weekly settlement, and in some cases if the fuel card is provided by the carrier, you would receive what was left after fuel, repairs, insurance. Out of that you would pay your truck payment and employee. Bear in mind you still have an "employee", which will still require workmans comp and all the regs that govern that.

Even if you become a lease operator, you still are in business, where as, if you owned your own truck that you drove, it would be somewhat simpler and you would not be responsible for a lot of stuff and that is why drivers do it. They either don't have the time, or the help to get their own authority, or are making enough money to avoid the hassle.

After going through what I've gone through, I would not run my own authority with just one truck. It is not much more work to run two or three more, the paperwork is already in place.

I would be most concerned about where I was going to get a driver, and could I endure the loss of a driver till I found another one. I have been in the position in business (multi locations), where my employees got the idea I was far enough disconnected from the business (like your outside job), that they used that against me to try to get more money refused to follow policies. I usually would have to go in and dismiss them and do the job myself till I could find a replacements.

If you really want to get your own authority, you really need some business experience, or the help of someone that has had some business experience.

jonboy
Old 09-30-2007, 09:54 PM
Board Regular

I forgot to echo something Sonny said about a driver wanting to work everyday.....

If you don't lease on, you'll have to dispatch that truck and that could possibly be a conflict with your job.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:11 PM
Senior Board Member

If you ask me your ROI would not be enough to have the headaches of have a 1 truck with a driver in it.

Old 09-30-2007, 11:23 PM
Rookie

What is ROI ??
Old 09-30-2007, 11:35 PM
Senior Board Member

First of all, I would not buy a truck get my authority and put a driver in it before driving the truck myself. You will NOT get rich doing this. Finding a good driver can and will be the biggest challenge you will have. We had two trucks and hired a "good" driver.....NOT!! After a 2500.00 UNAUTHORIZED shop bill and a torn up transmission we quickly got rid of the 2nd truck!!

I do resent the comments made about drivers in general, there are good drivers out there but they are HARD to find.

I have a friend who has 2 trucks and did manage to find a good driver, this drivers could care less when he goes home, dosent care where he runs, takes care of the truck as if it was his own and stays in close communication with my friend. BUT my friend says it is a full time job almost keeping the truck moving....i dont see how you could work and keep a truck loaded at the same time.

good luck in whatever you decide to do.

tootie

Adopt a Minpin
minpinrescue.org
Old 10-01-2007, 12:13 AM
Rookie

i am leaning more to leasing and putting a driver in it that will eliminate alot of headache... i could see how operating off of authority would be a 24/7 job but i dont think leasing onto a carrier will be that bad...i dont want to make a killing just something to basically help out i take home 750 a week and if i could make 300-400 more in a week i am fine and if its more thats no problem either (of course this is after all other expenses including a maintenece fund for the truck)..and i know there are other ways but i have wanted to do this since i was a little kid i am driving a dump truck at my job now and i love it and i would go over the road in a heartbeat myself but i have a wife and a kid so i need to be home this is the next best thing and it will make the little extra money i need at the same time...thanks for all the help everybody !!!!
Old 10-01-2007, 12:26 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Super ModeratorSenior Board Member