User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2007, 12:33 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Well i do understand what a return on an investment is i just dont know all the abbreviations used around here all the time
Old 10-01-2007, 02:15 AM
Board Regular

Nitetrain, since you are driving a dump truck on your job you have now, why not consider buying a dump truck or a tractor that pulls a dump trailer and starting your own rock hauling business, or doing the same and hiring a driver.

You can get intrastate authority much easier, and you could manage it better, because your truck would always be in close proximity. You could also do some of the driving yourself when you are off work.

This could work for you considering you are not looking for a large return on investment, and could get you started.

I know in Texas there are companies that are looking for owner operators to pull their rock trailers, and there may be some of that close to you.

If you are still determined to do an OTR lease, check out Schneiders IC department and find out what the requirement are for the tractor. No matter what company you lease to, they will do a background check and will have to approve your driver for insurance and also do a drug test. They will require a skills test and orientation before they will let you lease on. You will have to pay your driver while this is going on, so choose your candidate carefully.

Good luck,

jonboy
Old 10-01-2007, 02:34 AM
Senior Board Member

If you are going to pull freight for .90 a mile+ fuel surge....you will not be able to afford a driver.

We had a driver in our 2nd truck and we were leased to a flatbed co. They paid percentage we did OK and most weeks made some extra money....BUT what happens when YOUR truck is in CA with a blown engine and you are looking at a 10,000 + shop bill AND have to put the driver in a hotel for at least a week???

Lots to think about other than dollar signs.

tootie

Adopt a Minpin
minpinrescue.org
Old 10-01-2007, 03:41 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
i am wanting to get a truck and put a driver in it to drive for me i do have a job and i want to keep it so i figured i could do this just to help out a little
I think you have it backwards. The job will be required to pay for the trucking operation.

First, I agree with everything that has been said.
Drivers wanting something to fail. Check.
Drivers hard to find. Check.
Dispatching truck conflicting with job. Check.
Drivers wanting to work every day. Check.

I have a buddy that did this exact thing. His father ws an auto hauler for a living (driver o/o). So my buddy bought a truck and trailer and thought he would put a driver in it and go hauling cars. This lasted about a year and he lost $50,000 by the time he got out. Drivers abandoning the truck, stealing fuel, damaging cars, not showing up for work. The list is endless.

Let's look at the numbers so you can get an idea of what you need. Based on 100,000 miles;

Fuel: $.60/mile (some guys get $.40/mile driving their own truck...but I think that's optimistic for a driver driven truck)
Driver: $.45/mile
Mait: $.05/mile
Liability + Cargo only: $.15/mile

So your costs will be $1.35/mile if you buy a truck only (no trailer). This does not include employee expenses, taxes, cost of borrowing, accounting fees, set up fees, cell phones, tickets, cargo claims, scale fees, and a million other things.

You have said you are looking for another $300-$400/week from this venture. $300 x 50 weeks = $15,000/100,000 miles = $.15/mile for profit. You'll probably owe $.03 tax on that $.15 profit so now you need $.18 profit.

So now you need $1.53/mile for all miles in order to make $15,000. Factor in 8% DH and now you're up to $1.65/loaded mile required.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:28 PM
Board Regular

[quote="rank"]
Quote:

Fuel: $.60/mile (some guys get $.40/mile driving their own truck...but I think that's optimistic for a driver driven truck)
Nite Train, rank is bringing up one of your biggest variable expenses that will be very difficult for you to control from your day job.

There are two reasons trucking companies govern their trucks, and one is for safety, as in, speed kills, and the other is to control fuel costs. It is true an ungoverned truck can actually get better fuel mileage with careful driving (using speed and momentum to advantage on hills), but most drivers (who are not paying the fuel bill), will drive faster than 65mph, and there is a considerable difference in fuel usage between 65-70, even with proper gearing, due to increased drag.

There is potentially a great difference in the fuel usage of two different drivers as well......

I drive my truck like I've got an egg under my foot, and I refuse to let people behind me, rush me, when I'm heavily loaded. I can consistantly get 6+, even with some hills, and upward 7's, on lighter loads. The next guy might get 5.5 on the same load. I've gotten 6.5 with 44000#, but I was being real careful and minimizing starts and stops.

This also goes back to my previous rants about lease companies paying loaded HHG miles. Not only are you driving more miles than being paid, but you are still paying the fuel on those extra miles. If you lease, get on a percentage or at least practical miles.

Also, I would never put a truck on the road without a GPS in it, because there is a great deal of fuel waste because of bad directions and searching for drops at night. Remember fuel waste is your enemy.

I used to get a kick out of Schneider every time I saw the sign that asked us to save a gallon a day, and I thought, I could save ten gallons on some days if they just put a GPS in the truck. It would pay for itself in no time, not to mention the fact, that a lot of accidents occur when drivers get lost and start making mistakes.

Bottom line is, carefully do the math on any lease and if you want to get a good driver, rig out the truck and treat him right, pay him right.

These would be minimums:

Frig
GPS
Satelite Radio
Idleaire (its cheaper than idling)

jonboy
Old 10-01-2007, 11:40 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy
Frig
actually, I think he should frig the whole idea.

Can't agree more about keeping the driver happy. That is the small operator's key. You only need one good driver to keep the customer happy. Big guys need many good drivers and they don't have them so they eventually pi$$ the customer off.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:21 AM
Board Regular

Well, a cooling off period would really help this situation.

I think you always have a better chance at a return on your investment, when you are working in your investment. I always put all my money into my business and beat what I could've gotten in the markets. I prefer real estate (only if I'm using it for business), so I can't imagine being as far removed from my money as Nite Train is supposing.

Nite Train, I wish you well, but if you only have about 10,000, you'll probably loose it. I'm in 20,000 deeper than I thought I'd be and I had not choice. Thank God, I had options.

jonboy
Old 10-05-2007, 03:02 PM
Location: Los Angeles - Austin - Houston - Dallas - San Antonio - Laredo

Nite Train

SBA literature recommends to 'carefully' estimate your total start-up business cost.

They recommend DOUBELING your estimated start-up cost to come to a MORE realistic ACCTUAL cost.

Besides ROI, look-up 'Economies of Scale.'

Good luck in your endeavors.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:28 PM
Rookie

Wow....lots of good information being put out by everyone. First off, $10,000 is WAY too little cash to start anything. I think you will go through that little bit of money really fast. Once I saved up $50,000 or so then I would consider starting my business. I work for a used truck company and I know that our finance company looks for between 20% and 30% down on a truck that is non owner driven. If you buy a $40,000 truck...there goes $8,000 of your $10,000. Rig the truck out and your money is gone. Now you have a truck and no reserve for anything.

I work with a man who ran a truck like you want to for 2 years. He went through 10 drivers in 24 months. It is a good thing he has a CDL A so he could go get the truck and trailer and drive it.

Starting a trucking company is not as easy as it might look. There are a number of variables that must be accounted for. the biggest one is....not fuel.....but the human driver! A good driver will be difficult to find. Everything you will do takes money....and $10K just isn't enough. Good luck with whatever you do and keep us posted.