User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2007, 03:39 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Six or seven hours without detention (and not just a pittance) is unacceptable in my book. We make sure we're always in a position to cancel the load if things get out of hand and aren't handled to our satisfaction. Few loads are worth compromising that much.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:53 PM
Senior Board Member

We had another one yesterday. At the delivery this time. The consignee didn't have the equipment to offload. I said no problem, stuff happens. Just give me a revised confirmation showing $50/hr, or if you prefer, we can take the machine back to our yard.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:41 PM
Board Regular

As of today, I have implemented a new policy. I've made up a letter to go out with each confirmation stating that we charge $75 per hour after 2 hours. After 4 hours, our truck will leave and book a different load. Any one that cannot or will not agree to this, we don't need to haul for. Its too bad that we have to do things this way, but I don't guess we have much choice. I've been seeing lots of detention time lately and there's NEVER any compensation for it.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:50 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I showed up to load onions once. There was 3 trucks ahead of me. The girl sneezed and I said God bless you. She said pull up to dock 1 and get loaded.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:31 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth
I showed up to load onions once. There was 3 trucks ahead of me. The girl sneezed and I said God bless you. She said pull up to dock 1 and get loaded.
I bet if you ever go back there again she will remember you and you will be loaded quickly again.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:06 AM
Senior Board Member

[quote]I've made up a letter to go out with each confirmation stating that we charge $75 per hour after 2 hours. After 4 hours, our truck will leave and book a different load.[quote]
You're giving them 4 hours free. They will let you sit for 4 and not give you TNU.

JMO, but I like to trade a lower detention rate for less waiting time. When they say "Normally I pay after 2 hours", I reply with "My 2 hour rate is $75". At this point we either agree to $50 after 1 or we agree to deal with it when it happens. If it's the latter, I am gone in 60 minutes unless I get my conf.

By the way, I came to terms with the broker WRT the load I mentioned above. Of course, he tried to pay me 3 hours (we waited for 5). They tried to say that I was early for my appointment and therefore they did not owe the full detention. I pointed out that there was no mention of an appointment....not in the initial telephone conversation and not on the rate sheet. Only after we left was there a rigger appointment. Too late....I would have quoted a diferent rate had I known that.

Also pointed out that "I did not have to wait. In retrospect I guess I should have taken it back to our yard until we had time to offload".

Sorry for the novel. Just thought it may help someone sometime.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:32 AM
Board Regular

All good info. Thanks Rank, and everyone else who what given their input. I may go ahead and go with a lower rate at 1 hour. $1/hour would beat the hell out of what we've been getting,
Old 09-28-2007, 05:13 AM
Senior Board Member

You'll be tested right off the bat, I'll bet. You mentioned dock time, so I assume you pull reefers or vans. I'd bet that over half the brokers who deal in that freight will balk at having to sign off on a detention agreement up front. It definitely tests one's resolve. I'm judicious in my use of our detention, but if I feel it's necessary and they don't play ball, I have no problem passing on the load. It actually simplifies things a great deal :lol:
Old 09-28-2007, 10:40 PM

If anyone has ever been to C+S Grocery warehouse they will wait a long time. We do a few deliverys to them and they are very slow. Youll get a door quick be unloaded in 30 mins, but then have to wait 2 hours for the paperwork to be signed. They charge a lumper also and I think if I need to pay you 160$ to take your freight off my truck it should be done quickly. Also I have a very good attitude, but it does not matter there they just treat you like dirt.
Old 09-29-2007, 03:06 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rank
We had another one yesterday. At the delivery this time. The consignee didn't have the equipment to offload. I said no problem, stuff happens. Just give me a revised confirmation showing $50/hr, or if you prefer, we can take the machine back to our yard.
Let's say you did take it back. What does the broker or shipper do then when it is in your yard? And what if your yard is 3 days away? Do you say the same thing only say you'll put it in storage?